Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pie Cut Wishbone Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyric30, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Cyric30

Cyric30
    from AR

Hello all

its been a good while since i had to post, my project is slowly coming together, but i need a favor of someone.

i need pics of a split wishbone setup with "pie cuts" that have been done to attain proper caster angles. preferably on a relatively stock setup.
    can anyone help a fellow out, Yes i have searched for them with no luck, if i have missed the giant pie cut wishbone thread my apologize for missing it :)

2. Can't really see in this scanned pic but this car had rear bones cut and adapted to the front at an angle to give 6 to 7 degrees caster and still mount heims through the frame. I have better pics somewhere if you need them.

Attached Files:

3. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

its really easy. I used a pair of 40 front wishbones, split them, turned them up side down and made a small pie cut out of the top, near the front weld. Then slowly opened up the pie till they were at the right angle and placement at the frame. Once one was done, I matched the second one.

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Heres how I did mine I put wishbone in vise upside down .Checked to make sure it was level ,Ran a slice all the way down ,After the factory seam ....Flipped over and leveled again .Pulled the front of wish bone up till I got the 7 degrees ,I wanted ,Then I tacked them .You want a 7 tilted back ,Then after that I made the hangers for the frame after that was doe I assembled front end and then set front crossmember tacked that making sure I had 7 degrees at the top of king pin .After that took apart and welded everthing up , Checking it while I went along ........

5. lorolr

lorolr

These are model a bones flipped and pie cut. The cut at the top is 1/4 inch which gave me 7 degrees caster.

Attached Files:

• 59.jpg
      59.jpg
      File size:
      497.8 KB
      Views:
    • 60.jpg
      60.jpg
      File size:
      502.1 KB
      Views:
    • 61.jpg
      61.jpg
      File size:
      452.6 KB
      Views:
    • 62.jpg
      62.jpg
      File size:
      527.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Cyric30

Cyric30
    from AR

Thank you all for the help and especially lorolr those where exactly what i needed to see :)

old hickory likes this.
  7. inkmunky

inkmunky

Forgive my ignorance why are they flipped before pie cutting them?

8. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

I believe the current issue of rod & custom has a tech article on this.

9. lorolr

lorolr

for steering links clearance, at least in my case.

10. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

New to this, why not just lower the mounting point on the frame 7* to get the same results? My axle was bent to 7* caster, so guess I just have to have things bolted up and not put any more or less bend into the axle to keep the 7*?

11. j32

j32

Don't really understand why you turn them upside down.Then when you set the caster you have to cut a filler piece to fill in the gap? Imust be missing something...

12. 117harv

117harv

This is a pair of wishbone clevises that i removed from some junk bones and mated to some 36 rear bones, pie cut and weld is fine as long as they are still attached. If they are detached i think this would the prefered method. The clevis is solid but does have a small cavity to recess the solid slug into just gind the clevis and bone to the same angle to get the desired degree/caster and weld all three pieces together and grind smooth.

Attached Files:

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Your AXLE was bent? There is something wrong about that.

Ford axles are tilted BY the radius rods to the correct factory caster setting. The only "built-in" angle on a Ford Axle is camber.

lonewolf900 likes this.
  14. inkmunky

inkmunky

The pie cut is at the "top" of the bone, then you angle the mount 7* to meet up and fill the gap. You don't use a seperate piece to fill it you remove it from the bone itself.

lonewolf900 likes this.
  15. 4ever18

4ever18

Here you go... Three photos of JMON77's Model A.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  16. Kramer

Kramer

Not stock, but here are some pictures of mine. Yes and mine are upside down also to clear my tie rod, which was not installed yet in the pictures.
    The first picture also shows the jig I used to get my angle right. Notice I changed my mind where I was going to do the cut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

I see everyone is leaving a lil connection folding and welding..

Have these salvaged 32 bones ( the were bent in the middle for some old hot rod ) can i just make the angle and weld them to some other bones? I'm guessing sleeve it as well?

or make the bend with what I have then join the to longer bones

Attached Files: