Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which one -Small Block Ford or Chevy in 50 Ford ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Feb 3, 2010.

1. *Which is an easier install (car will have automatic trans) ?

Re: Mounts, Auto Trans & floor pans, Oil Pan & Crossmember

* How about Headers - What is way to go / What fits ?

** Anything i forgot ? Please add some details

Thanks

2. roddinron

roddinron

Oh hell, here we go!

3. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

4. Okay, all brand loyalty aside, I think there's enough aftermarket support in either direction to put these engines in fairly easily. You could go either way, and someone before you has done it before and figured out a way to make it work. That being said, might as well stick with a Ford in a Ford.

5. supervert

supervert

why not toyota? :D

6. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

It might just be me but I don't like to cross breeds. 351 or 302 ford c4 or aod should fit in there one way or another.

7. MGGeerJr

MGGeerJr

Here's my take on this being a FNG. My 36 Ford is getting a small block Ford...why...it was free I just had to get it out of the truck it was in and junk the truck as a favor to the farmer that owned it. Was it my 1st choice, nope..I would have keep the flathead, but it was to costly. I"m on a realy tight budget. Is there anything wrong with the Bowtie in a Ford? I don't think so it comes down to personal preferance. If you've got a rusted out 87 Camaro yank the motor and go for. Use what you have and enjoy it!! If I guy at the local cruise night give you crap about it ask him where his car is...when he point to the Nissan mini van you can laugh!

8. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

302-C4-Ford 9 inch
    It's what I've got in my Willys wagon
    Love It

9. I'm putting a Ford 302 in mine but it's going to cost me more. Ford in a Ford right? Well I don't blame anyone for slapping an SBC in their ride. Just search around for a 3 deuce intake for a small block ford, then search for the same thing GM. My point will be proven. I'm paying a bit more to put a ford motor in my project. To each their own. This should be fun for you not for the others around you.

10. Would you put a SBF in a 50 chevy? Don't crossbreed them,you might give birth to a a car with 3 headlights!

11. 49coupe

49coupe

Ok, I got fresh popcorn....

I'm going to stay away from the discussion about whether it's right to put a SBC or SBF in a shoebox Ford since it's like asking someone on here which politican I should vote for.

A SBC is slightly cheaper and easier to put in from what I've heard than a 302. I've only helped to put a 350 in so I can't personally verify this but it makes sense given the choices in oil pans, water pumps and headers you have with a SBC.

Only a '51 Ford transmission tunnel will take an automatic, so you'll have to modify it to fit.

This topic comes up almost weekly on Shoeboxford.com It's a good site if you have a shoebox and has a decent mix of restorers, street rodders and kustomizers. Become a member and do a search and ask the question. Guys on there have done both.

Personally, I don't think either a SBF or SBC look right in a shoebox, but that's just me. As much as I'm a Ford guy, if I had to choose, I'd put in a SBC since you can dress them up to look like an early motor.

Mounts are available from Jamco for either.

12. 76ironhead

76ironhead

Nothing is easy go with a flathead the c-4 will fit you just have to do some work on the crossmember to make the trans fit right, thats just my 2 cents..

13. Ford

ffr1222k likes this.
  14. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

Yeah, like one of those "mother Tuckers"!!

15. ALL the old timers around here swear the sbc was made specifically to put into a 1950 ford. Way easier to do. I've never done it, it's just what the old guys who were there building shit in the '50's have told me.

16. 61falcon

61falcon

ford in a ford. the only time its ok to put a different brand engine in a ford is when its a hemi. nothin cooler than a model a or 32 with a hemi.

17. ngafreeride

ngafreeride
    BANNED
    from Georgia

I heard the sbf is a little narrower. i may be wrong. Whatever you can get the cheapest is what i'd do.

18. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

X2 Oh boy :D

19. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Be different and put a Nailhead in it.

20. simplyconnected

simplyconnected

The REAL question should be: Should I use a SBF EFI or carb engine?
    I agree with the 351W with an AOD. If you get a sacrificial Mustang or Lightening, you can use the whole computer for an INJECTED, roller, 351W. The AOD will allow a 4:11 gear without breakin the gas bank. Your '50 will wake up, FAST. Just like a modern car, every day it will run great, no matter where you go (even in altitude). BTW, as soon as you can, get power disk brakes. - Dave

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

mouse motors were made to replace the inferior ford motor. If John Milner had a ford motor in his 32, he would have been the slowest thing in the valley, man!

22. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

This debate is so tired it doesn't even stir up any drama anymore! Damn! I burnt my popcorn...

It's been done both ways. The SBC has been a universal motor for so long that it has become cliche AND boring, but it is still easily adapted, reliable and effective. The small Ford can claim all the same. For me, it's not that one stands above the other in any particular way, but you will just get more respect for sticking with the Ford logo. You'll get a lot of respect if you go off the beaten path and choose a rare Ford powerplant.

Next topic?

23. ford51

ford51
    from sweden

chevy smb isn`t exotic in any way.Like a volvo B18.

24. teddyp

teddyp

both a good chioce i would put a sbc in only because i like them! and had better luck with them just don,t be boreing and put a ford in a ford just to please all the same make in make people put what you like it,s your car and most of all have FUN

25. Ford to Ford. Man not another Chevy. You could always put in a Toyota and run full throttle.

26. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I vote Ford... yeah and I'm a Chevy guy but I vote Ford.

27. HotRod33

HotRod33

WTF do think he had in his 32......?

28. Dan

Dan

which oil pan and pickup assembly is required to put the 302 ford in?

29. shoebox72

shoebox72

If you are going to use an SBF I'd do the 302 over a 351W. First because the width got the headers way to close to the steering column (Rubbing it). I heated the tubes near the flange & moved it closerto the block but I still wasn't happy, Secondly, if your motor mount rubbers settle & compress themselves than the mid sump pan rubs on the crossmember. Plus I didn't like the way the engine ran.. So Someone gave me a sweet running 68 302 & I put that in with an early bronco pan & pickup. Now there is plenty of clearence, nothing rubs & it runs sweet.

30. 5window

5window

Sorry, this is not an FNG answer. Please play fair. Noone can have any fun if you are going to post sensible answers.

As for my opinion, if you can't go with the flathead, I'd go with the SBC. I agree it can be made to look like an older installation and,somehow, those Ford motors that have the distributor in the front always look like they are in backwards to me. But, please bve aware that my opinion is worthless!