Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 Plymouth 331 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spicolli, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Spicolli

Spicolli

Got it home! I might have time later to really get into it and see all what I got! It doesn't have an oil pan.

I forgot the water pump and a pulley at the guys house. :(

Cost is $300.00 usd and about $80.00 in gas! Total $380.00.............

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  2. George

George

Congrats! Welcome to the world of Hemis!:)

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

If it is in decent shape, that is a good score. Have the guy mail or greyhound you the other parts, not sure they are worth another $80 gas + time to drive back for, but still good to have. That water pump and housing is heavy. Good luck with it.

4. Spicolli

Spicolli

I was planing on going with the BBC water pump from Hot Hemi Heads anyhow! I will see if he will ship the old one?

5. Looks like a nice score for $380. what are your plans for it?

6. mopar210

mopar210

nice score ! have a ball with that old hemi , hard to beat an old hemi .

7. aircoup

aircoup

wow 300.00 very cool hope she,s ingood shape

8. Spicolli

Spicolli

I was looking at the Hemi and it has an old stickers on both valve covers. They look to read "George Wulf Racing Sacramento" OR "George Wuli Racing Sacramento".

All I know is a guy named George Wulf had a Racing team in the 60s! He ran 336 cid blown Hemis! Have no idea other then that. I hope the engine isn't a large paper wait! :0

From what I have seen of the engine, It should be fine. I will get it to the machinist when I have cash and time! Then we will see!

9. jerry sezar

jerry sezar

Hi,
    Looking at your photo looks like if you have a 331 it has 392 heads on it. I'm building a '55 354 Hemi and the water returns are on the intake side if the heads not in the front?????

10. Spicolli

Spicolli

The head casting are 1556157-1 and that makes them 1955 -331 heads. The Block is NE55. From what I have have read they are considered the best hemi head made (by Chrysler)!

11. farmer12

farmer12

Great find! The BBC water pump from Hot Heads is great, putting it on my 392 as we speak. Maybe try to get the old one you bought and get it shipped to you. Definitely get a new one for your 331, don't risk using an old one. What are the further plans?

12. George

George

Sounds like you have truck or ind heads.

13. From the looks of the valve covers, you MAY have some goodies on the inside of the engine...

14. rustyhood

rustyhood

$300.00 for a Hemi? Hell yeah! A speed shop in Ohio told me a few years ago, they would gladly pay $1000.00 bucks for any old hemi in any shape. Nice find.....$80 bucks in gas. $620.00 bucks ahead to start building. Awesome deal!

15. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

YUK !

Why dress an Elephant in Rat's Clothing ?

Just put the Chrysler stuff back on it, They look Much better with Stock parts & an Early hemi Pump will last just as long a any Chevy Crap.

16. Spicolli

Spicolli

Just looking for convenience on the road if I have any issues! I can go to any parts store and be back truckin! Its nothin to do with looks!

17. Spicolli

Spicolli

Nop! New Yorker Heads

The head casting are 1556157-1 and that makes them 1955 -331 heads. The Block is NE55. From what I have have read they are considered the best hemi head made (by Chrysler)!

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

18. Spicolli

Spicolli

Going in a 1933 Plymouth! I just need to find a transmission! Looking at going with 727. I would like a 518 but i really don't believe it will fit, due to X member in the frame! Also was thinking 700r4! its shorter and i think it will fit + its got the OD!

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AWESOME! Great score!!! I remember you talking about your options for that '33 Plymouth. I think you will be happy with your decision! I'm of course biased, though.

I agree with DE SOTO. If you can get the original Chrysler parts, put them on. I have a 331 with Hot Heads timing cover/water pump adapter and it uses an SBC water pump, and I have to say it's the ugliest damn thing on my entire car. I like the fact that I can get a water pump anywhere and use a high-flow, if needed, but the stock cooling system in Chrysler's engines were excellent and no upgrades were needed. Beeing that you have a good timing cover already, I would just try and get the original water pump, have it rebuilt (I think Kanter will do it) and be done with it.

Great start! Can't wait to see what you do either way!

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "555" or "Tripple Nickle" heads that were used on the '55 331 were very desirable, however I think you will find that the flow is not really THAT much different from say a 354 passenger car head of similar design. Agree they are the best choice if given the option, but the differences will not be noticed on a street driven vehicle. If pushing this engine to the max for a race application you could probably get what is demanded out of them.

Again though! GREAT score! Get to work!

21. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

YOU SUCK!!!

All kidding aside, looks like a great score, might be some goodies hidden under those valve covers.

22. George

George

Note the quote! Directed @ Jerry, sounds like he has the solid front truck heads.

23. 150J/F

150J/F

I reccommend "Tex Smith's Chrysler Hemi Manual" By Ron Ceridono for both
    you guys. Gain lots of knowledge in a hurry.

24. Spicolli

Spicolli

I will look into the "Tex Smith's Manual"!

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. Nice score! I'm interested to see if it has any hop-up goodies on the inside after what you were saying about the sticker on the valve covers (not to mention the aftermarket breathers).

27. Spicolli

Spicolli

Thanks!

From what the last owner stated about the bore size, it sounds like its about 60 over! I really want to see if the valves have been taken bigger or not! I wont have time to check the size until Monday!

28. Hey, if you end up needing to bore the block and the old pistons aren't damaged I might just be interested in them (pm me if thats the case). I'm really jealous about those 555 heads by the way. :)

29. dkiser72

dkiser72
    from ny

its a piece-a-junk and ya paid too much......would you take $500???

nah...jk thats a damn good deal congrats

30. Spicolli

Spicolli

FlatheadPopup I will let you know when i have to crack the seal on the new toy! I might be a few week though as i got a lot going on right now!