Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finaly got to weld again after being paralysed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopshop13, Feb 2, 2010.

1. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Wow, I can't weld worth a crap and now have absolutely no valid excuses. I fell down some wet steps once and f'd up my lower back pretty good, but after 10 years it is finally mostly a distant memory now. But as I laid out in the water puddle at the bottom of the stair while being rained on, I specifically remember saying to myself, 'Wow! this is how it happens. This is how people get paralyzed.' After laying in the puddle in the rain for about 15 min., I finally got up enough strength to get up and get back inside. I was young and dirt poor at the time so I just downed about 6 aspirin and went to bed for the next 2-3 days. I was very lucky, so definitely can relate and your story makes me feel even more lucky and now even more inspired. So, like I said, now I really just have no excuse and seriously need to learn how to do some decent welding sooner rather than later. Good going, best of luck with the progress.

2. olds vroom

olds vroom

you ROCK keep up the good work . try putting some soap stone dust or baby powder on your work bench to help you slide along. man i wish my buddy had a 100th your ambition

3. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

really nice man......inspirational

4. tjackson

tjackson
    from Oregon

Very inspirational man!

5. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

wow...really cool!

6. lorodz

lorodz

really good work keep it up..

7. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Very much a RULER! Awesome.

8. Nick P

Nick P
    from Texas

I don't get by here often, but when I do, it's worth it. May our Lord continue to bestow his Blessings upon you.

9. JimSwann

JimSwann

People like you are definately an inspiration. That type of attitude is what made this country great. Rock on Dude!

10. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

good for you man, don't let anything stop you!!!
    good man

11. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

It is a lesson for all of us to remember never give up.

12. X2! Good for you!

13. Thanx Pal
    you remind so many of us that we have it pretty damn good...always bitching about the little aches and pains, but you are living proof that nothing can keep you down if you truly believe you can do it!
    Bless you

14. Weasel

Weasel

Sounds like the HAMB has a new superstar and poster boy. Truly awe inspriring.

15. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I'm speechless .... I have always said everyday on this earth on two feet is a great day. You have proved me wrong. Congrats on the great attitude and giving me the kick in the ass I need ! Keep us posted on your progress. You are one talented and motivated person.

Doug

16. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

cutupcars,

This is an inspirational thread for sure. Thanks for posting. One of my dads best friends that taught me a lot about welding when i was a kid, and he too was involved in an accident. His daughters car had died on her way home from school, and he had gone to try and get it running or pick her up, and while he was looking at the car on the side of the road, an elderly couple hit him and the car. He was paralized from the neck down. It has been about 20 years now, and he had been able to get his voice back, and can more his head so he does get around in a special wheel chair.

The last time I visited him he was stelling me how hard it was to keep his hopes up, and not give up. He feels so worthless, not being able to do anything for himself. I'm so glad to read about others who are able to at least have enough movement to allow them to try if they desire. Keep on, NEVER GIVE UP. No matter how bad you think it is, there is always someone who has it worse. You are truelly inspirational, and your desire/drive is priceless. You do with what you have, and you are doing it great!!!!

As for a way to feed wire, there should be a way to tie into the "signal" wires from your mouth switch that you are using to start the arc on your tig. Useing a small electric motor as already suggested, you should be able to tap in and have that motor get it's power from your switch. You will probably have to also have a speed control, this you might be able to make out of a slide control switch(thumb) switch from a tig welder control. Use the slide/thumb switch to start the feed process and control feed rate. You could have this straped to your elbow with the switch facing down so you could lower your elbow until the switch hits the table or your arm rest on your chair, then slowly move your elbow making the switch slide to start the process.

I hope that makes scence or came out right. I'm not the best typer, and I'm just thinking and trying to type as the thoughts come in. Please keep up posted on your progress. I think everyone here can benefit just from reading your post, and remembering the simple fact that life is only as good or bad as you allow it to be!! You are 1000000% proof of that. THANK YOU.

EDIT: After thinking a little more, you could use the "pen" that was suggested earlier in conjunction with the little electric motor and switch control. Have the electric motor mounted to the pen with a rubber drive wheel on the motor that will turn the finger wheel on the pen advancing the wire. I'm sure it could be done and not in too big of a package either. Then you could just velcro the pen to your fingers/glove and be on your way.....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  17. striper

striper

I don't know enough about TIG welding or your circumstance to help but I wanted to add my congratulations for your achievement.

A little while back I had a week out of the shed with a sore back. Just didn't want to go out there. I figured there was no enjoyment to be had crawling in, under and around cars with a sore back. That makes me feel pretty dumb about now. What would you give for a "sore back"?

You remind me of a guy I kinda know who drives speedway cars that he builds himself from a wheel chair. Admittedly he's only a paraplegic but he's as good a driver as any.

Great to see you back at it.

Pete

18. RichG

RichG

The whole unit (motor, battery, rheostat) would be about the size of two D-cell batteries roughly. I've built similar small controllers before, they work really well.

19. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

20. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

New Zealand, I've met a few Kiwi's and they were as tough a fuck.......looks like we've just met another one.

no advise on welding ( i can only stick weld !)

good luck on your build, keep us posted.

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since leaving the Army I have meet a couple of guys like you, doing better than me with such disability's. One guy can only move his head but he has learned computer programing and has a full time job.
    You guys make me hold every accomplishment in my life in low regard, you guys should be our true hero's.
    Doc.

22. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Truly inspirational! Keep it up!

23. Yeah cool, i am looking foward to getting some smooth beads, the welds ive done so far have been ok but not beautifull.

24. New Zealand, Bottom of the earth :) Thanks for your compliment, all of you cheers.

25. chop32

chop32

You Sir are a true inspiration to us all. I am totally in awe of your dedication. I had a long list of excuses that I regularly picked from to explain why I didnt go out and work in the garage on any given day. That list is now history! Thank you for the newfound motivation your heartfelt story has given me. Im sure this group will help you with your motivation level as well.
    Keep at it, the welds will get better with time! You Rule!

26. Gumboot

Gumboot

Props, just mad props dude. Most would give up and moan after an accident like that, but that's just awesome to see you keep truckin on and finding ways to keep living.:cool:

27. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

As a quad myself I can fully appreciate myself exactly what you have achieved here, which is near on impossible. Way to raise the bar man. You have my awe and respect.
    Later,
    Paul

28. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

I don't know what to add that hasn't been said, except keep on keepin' on. And keep us posted on your progress!

29. woody2

woody2

There's just no stopping ya Rich, Good to here your back into it bud. I sure do miss working with ya.
    I'm trying to think of some sort of wire feeder for ya, Give me a few days I'll get back to ya.

30. ... After thinking a little more, you could use the "pen" that was suggested earlier in conjunction with the little electric motor and switch control. Have the electric motor mounted to the pen with a rubber drive wheel on the motor that will turn the finger wheel on the pen advancing the wire. I'm sure it could be done and not in too big of a package either. Then you could just velcro the pen to your fingers/glove and be on your way.....[/QUOTE]

Hey everyone all great comments thats a great idea using a small motor and electronics, i will look into it but id like the idea of just being able to slide rock my hand back and forth to advance the wire with some level of control. Im thinking the pen type tool would absolutely be the go, with like a cam lock collet or something to slide it only one way, then have some resistance to stop it feeding in untill i pull it some more. I dunno, its all food for thought, and thanks.
    Thanks to you all for the kind remarks, i hope i can do you all proud.