Register now to get rid of these ads!

can get this rim off, tricks ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JAKE'S-Pumpkinella54, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Ok so tring to get rim off my 53 international .( flat ) so it wont even budge , ive hit it with 5 pound hammer nothing ,, i have soak all the lugs with pb blaster ,, and havent used a flame due to all the pb blaster. ideas . thanks ,,,...

( yes all nuts are off) for the token wise arse.

2. Heat is the best way & then throw a cup of cold water on it. The shock should pop it loose. It's probably stuck around the center hole.

3. thanks nh bandit ...thats was i figured ... thanks

4. johnboy13

johnboy13

I've had luck loosening the lug nuts, but not taking them all the way off. Then raise the wheel off the ground, and let the jack loose quick enough that it drops the vehicle. If it doesn't do it the first or second time, it's probably not going to work.

5. sincitysled52

sincitysled52

PB's good but Kroil is way better. Anti-sieze next time should help.
    Good luck

6. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Some are left hand thread!!

7. bonebroke

bonebroke
    from WI.

8. im gonna have to heat it .. thanks jonnyb ... guys why do we love these projects ... quick someone remind me

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Will the tire hold air long enough for you to drive it back and forth in the driveway a bit?
    That should break the rust bond...just don't go driving around the block or anything as you'll screw up the lug holes if you keep driving once the wheel loosens.
    ( With the nuts back on but a bit loose) for the token wise arse. :D

10. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

if your not to worried about the tire, i have got em loose by putting the lugs back on and leaving them 2 or 3 threads loose and driving real slow in a circle stop when you here the rim pop loose from the hub. george

11. As stupid as it sounds, I've yanked them off with a tow rope and a pick up truck before. If you try it make sure you have it propped up real good and the other end tied to something that won't move. I sat the car on it's axle on rail road ties with the other end chained to a telephone pole. I tried a come along but that just pulled the truck backward so I tied the rope to the truck and put it in gear. Didn't have to slam anything around, just put it in 4WD, dropped it in gear and next thing I hear is a loud POP. I didn't even have to replace the wheel. About as redneck as it gets but, I don't have to fool around with sledge hammers on old wheels any more.

12. That sounds like one of those jokes that starts with "Hold my beer & watch this".... :eek:

13. MLG

MLG

Left handed on passenger rear for sure, maybe on drivers rear. Look on end of stud for "L" OR "R".
    Hope this helps.

14. 1933BOB

1933BOB

I have used a long pry bar or digging bar and go behind the wheel between the hub pry and spin and pry! good luck

15. troylee

troylee

I would start with the fire wrench.

16. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

try jacking the truck up so the tire is barely off the ground. get a 12" 4x4 block of wood and place on the ground against the tire and rim, and whack it with a sledge hammer a couple of times.

17. thanks i just used up a tank of butane with no luck it is dark and cold as hell out ..ill try the block when i have light out . autobody ed ... i want more picks of that truck !

18. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

Might be time for the 10 pound BFH. Had to do that with my 1ton chevy.

19. flatford39

flatford39

10 or 15 # sledge and a wood buck, but you really need to get your ass into the follow through. Whatever you do don't hit the tire. Buddy of mine knocked hinself out by doing that. Hit the rim right at the bead.

20. Buck Sharp

Buck Sharp
    from nebraska

Don't swing the hammer from the air. when I'm doing tires i slide the sledge along the concrete it wont fly out of control so easy.

21. flat ford ... that story is great

22. chevyshack

chevyshack

I wouldnt use a sledge on that rim if you plan on reusing it. Your going to bend it. I had a 95 seirra that the rear steel wheels rusted on every year. Took me an hour to get them off the first time. I loosened the lugs and hit the wheel from the back, wiggled the truck side to side, and it finally broke loose when i did alittle power braking. Got to be carefull not to bust off your studs though. Mine was froze up in the center of the wheels.

23. iagsxr

iagsxr

Nobody owns a porta-power? Go to the rim not the tire if you can.

24. Loosen the lugs, drive (CAREFULLY) in a tight circle on pavement. Works like a charm.

If you can't do that, loosen the lugs. Use a ratchet strap and about a 12' 4"x4" (or box tubing, or whatever you have. Strap one end of the wood (or box tubing) tightly to the rim, with the other end sticking out. You'd be amazed at how much torque 10' will get you.

If you use wood, make sure its a good piece. If you use steel, make sure it's a strong piece ;)

25. I once popped one off using an '80s GM car jack, the flat type. A floor jack would probably do the same thing. Had it up between the frame and the wheel, caught it on the edge of the rim. A few good cranks and bam!

26. the heat then the slash of cold water works well!

27. 666Irish

666Irish

I've only had this problem once, on a '53 Dodge Coronet. I used a scissor jack between the frame and the rim, blocked with 2X4s. Jack it, loosen it, spin the wheel. Repeat til it pops. Took me 5 minutes.

28. 57dodge

57dodge

I like using a good Air Hammer in situations like this.
    Using a mushroom or flat style head bit, Holding firmly against the hub of the wheel from the outside.Don't let the hammer jump around, hold tight so it doesn't bounce all over the rim, the Vibrations wil generally break the rust loose.Works wonders on Heavy Duty trucks, Motorhomes Cars, ect.