Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC excessive oil pressure problem????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jdb25, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Jdb25

Jdb25

Hi Guys, we went to a salvage yard and pulled a 283 motor. Finally got it running with a large canister cartridge filter. Changed all wires, plugs, and carb, installed a oil filter adapter from another 283 I had and installed a new filter then went to start motor, oil went everywhere from around adapter and filter, and almost blew the new filter apart. The adapter shattered from the pressure and im at a loss as to what happend. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks jeff

Attached Files:

2. brad chevy

brad chevy

You said you got it from a junkyard,probably oil passages air clogged with gunk from sitting,causing a back pressure.did you pull valve cover off engine for inspection before rying to start this engine?

3. TRUCK_RAT

TRUCK_RAT
    from tulsa

Did it have the filter off for a while I'd guess a mud dobber filled some thing up. There's gotta be some kind of blockage thrs causing that much pressure.

4. Jdb25

Jdb25

Yes we did, oil pressure from push rods was good on all rocker arms

thanks jeff

5. Jdb25

Jdb25

motor was complete. i took off pan bottom end looked perfect, no sludge. took cartridge off installed adapter and put filter on immediatly. frezzing here in jersey no bugs this time of year

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

You may have a stuck relief vave in the oil pump body.
    Dave

7. Jdb25

Jdb25

anyway to check without dropping pan. a long shot i know. compressed air possibly!

thanks jeff

8. brad chevy

brad chevy

put the canister filter back on ,if no problems running you just found out youradapter is bad!,and it has been known filters are man made and can be defective,worked at a dodge dealership and had a brand new truck with 440 in it overheated instantly,after 5 other mechanics tried I found that the water pump had never had water internals had never been machined. Thats what assembly line are good at missing alot

9. xix32

xix32

i had a 350 do the same thing. it had been sitting without running for about 30 years.
    turned out to be a stuck pressure relief valve in the oil pump.
    just like the "dirty old man" said previous

10. Jdb25

Jdb25

any other votes for dropping pan and checking oil pump? seems like that might be the problem thanks for the help:)

thanks jeff

11. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Check the pressure relief spring in the oil pump. I had a new pump get stuck and blow the oil filter off the motor. Not good for a fresh motor. Changed the pump and all was good.

Also did you have a gauge on it an happen to look at it when it was running.

12. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Ditto on th pressure relief spring. Sounds like it is stuck.

13. Had the same thing happen to a 289 Ford that sat a long time (to the point it pushed out a front oil galley plug)...drop the pan and check pressure relief like the others said. At least oil pumps are relatively inexpensive.

14. Jdb25

Jdb25

thanks to all! , gonna drop the pan in the morning and pull the pump

15. sonim38

sonim38

40 bux for a new pump.

16. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Change the oil pump and it will be all good. Releif is stuck in the pump.