Register now to get rid of these ads!

Snowed in cleaning up garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tnrotter, Jan 29, 2010.

1. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Been putting off cleaning up my garage too long. Came home early from work today as the winter storm moved in. Took me an hour to drive what usually takes 20 minutes. Went off road in a shallow drainage ditch once but slid back up onto the road thankfully. Never hurts to get the heart pumping a little. Decided this would be a good day to hang out in the garage and organize my projects and pull out the spare parts. I fortunately have a garage thats a lean-to off of an old milking barn, so I have a couple of rooms and the main barn area to move stuff into. Been doing a home remodel so Im getting alot of home repair parts and tools. Need to carry a load of extra parts to a swap meet soon to buy parts that are needed to finish a project. Who else besides me has the problem of accumulating extra parts on a regular basis? tnrotter

2. mac762

mac762

I'm trying to sell off my extra stuff to buy some more stuff. Too bad nobody wants it as bad as I did. :). We're also in a snowstorm and I'm off to clean out the garage in about 45min.
    I might have to sell my stuff on Egay. :(

3. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Its after 5 o'clock somewhere now so I can get a couple of cold one's to help in the clean up process:cool:tnrotter

4. mac762

mac762

I'm for sure going up the street to get me some "antifreeze" at the package store on the way home. :)

5. 3 minute till here, but I'm thinking the same thing, out in the shop with the heater going working on the coupe and having a cool one.;)

6. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I've been trapped in the shop by skunks..... :eek: I'll take snow any day.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys in the south are having quite a winter this year, huh? In contrast, Michigan has had a fairly easy one...only had one major snow so far...cold right now though. I live on a big farm, and luckily have lots of room. The big chicken-coop is full of parts, and my cars are stored in two buildings. Engines in another. Keeps my work-area uncluttered.

8. Dirk35

Dirk35

No heater in the Garage..... the cleaning and work will have to wait. Till then, back to the perfect margarita! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :D

Perhaps tomorrow...... snowman, snowball fight, and maybe a snow fort!

Attached Files:

9. Hey,Ken, you have seen all the crap I have accumulated! Never have enough storage space.You going to try to trudge through the snow and ice tomorrow and go to the CBI swap meet?

10. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

I've been "cleaning up" the past few weeks myself. I had a bunch of older model A sheet metal parts lying around in the garage and it's been gererating cash for my '38 Dodge Biz Coupe build. Car money begets car money - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it ;-) It's also nice top create some open space.

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

That storm just left here. Today, as the stuff started to meltin' and turnin' to slush, I got Nash hot rod out and drove around. The front tires slingin' spirals of slush up, expecially in the turns, was a lot of fun. I drove around until the streets started dryin' up. What a day!

12. Tough luck for you all down south, I saw that storm heading across the country. But yeah, it's COLD up here in MI but hardly any snow.

I still have some parts stashed from over 30 years ago when I was a parts guy and we cleaned out the obsolete parts from the dealership. And I've been accumulating off & on ever since except for a few swaps I've done. Now I'm running out of room and need to get rid of a lot of stuff I know I'll never use. Problem is getting the time to sort it out. Maybe next time we get a snow storm.

13. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Update: Made some progress on the garage. Organized a little by cleaning out the shelves in my workbench and putting some hot rod parts I've been collecting for my Cougar there. Lined up some body panels against one wall, and put some misc up on the shelf. The '64 Georgia Plate is for my Fairlane, my grandmother lived there when she bought the car. tnrotter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. 41 Dave

41 Dave

tnrotter, You made some good use out of a snow day. I am also good at collecting parts for those future projects. Hopefully they will some daye fing the homes they were bought for.

By the way while you were fighting a snow storm I was at the GNRS ! Good to meet some fellow HAMBers.

41 Dave

15. ...I've been cleanin up my shop for over 30 years!!!

16. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

what kind of a car does your cougar have?

17. nutajunka

nutajunka

I think every winter there should be a thread just for guys selling their garage stuff there cleaning out. Just one big thread with all the parts anyone could want...:D

18. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Whoa. I've only been married 15 months to a younger woman. Don't get me in trouble just yet, I can do that on my on. The Cougar is a '68 with a balanced 289 and a hot little cam thats pulling the rocker studs out. Making room to put it up on stands and tear it down. tnrotter

19. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

That's a good idea, sometimes it would be easier to just scroll through the ads than to look at them individually on the classifieds. BUT, it would never end and it would be hard to keep up with whats sold, and we would end up buying more neat stuff that doesn't even go to what we are working on. I just checked my email and sold 2 items overnight on the bay where I've just been listing my excess and keep renewing until it sells, sometimes just taking the best offer to get rid of it. tnrotter

20. second_time_around

second_time_around
    from Ohio

not snowing here but is only 2 degrees here so I got the garage warming up already cleaned it but going out to work on a few doors and I hope to be able to get back on the 63 nova today , But first got to go hang a new tree stand so I better go bundle up , you guys have a great day

21. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

No heater in the Garage..... WHO NEEDS HEAT? I THOUGHT THE HEAT WAS IN THE TOOLS!!! I'm kidding. We got rain here and sick wife and kids so the projects are off and house work is on. I hope they feel better soon!!!!!

22. Just started snowing here in NE Maryland, about 21 degrees, expecting 1-3" which is good enough to get the sleigh out:). Took an old rusty 57 Chevy panel truck, cut the roof off flipped it over, welded a bench seat on it and have the best tow behind sleigh ever:D. The truck was really to far gone on the body so you guys do not crucify me. Anyway ole' jevies never die! Until we get the right amount of snow for the fun I'm heading into the garage to sort out the newest arrival, brought home a cool 38 Chevy coupe, a partial resto was started so I have to sort out the stuff that came in boxes:confused:. Somewhat fun pairing things up, just wish when people dissect things they would label and organize a little better:mad:. You just think you will remember where stuff belongs! Plenty of stuff to put in the blast cabinet, primer and stowe away. Funny how one person can burn out and stall on something and a new owner will be stoked up and take off with it.....until they burn out too:eek:. For now I'm like a kid with a new toy. Plan your work, work your plan!:eek::). Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow..:).

23. oj

oj

13deg here, couple inches of fresh snow and it still coming down, so much for the bucolic south image.
    Got the furnace cookin', Pink Floyd on the 1500watt sterio (takes powerful music to build powerful cars) a carb to finish, another to start rebuild; a set of roller rockers to clearance for valve springs; a COE White door to reskin; a '41 Lincoln Zepher pedal car to start the retoration/sheetmetal work and, of course, theres' Anthrax that i need to metal finish the chop on so's i'll have something to putt around in. All-in-all, not bad. Life is what you make of it, i'm having fun keeping the lights lit, fuel in the furnace and slightly positive bank account. Glad i'm here. Let it snow all it wants.

24. carbking

carbking

We received about 4~6 inches of snow. Hard to tell, due to drifting. But that's OK.

Man does not live by Pontiac alone, there is also John Deere! Have an 18 HP lawn & garden with 42 inch hydraulic blade and metal cab.

Did my driveway, and the neighbors driveways. Fun to play in the snow.

Back to Pontiac in the spring.

Jon.

25. yardgoat

yardgoat

Sorry to here about your family sickness,i will remember you. You got a tough job ahead.
    Its 37 deg in Ga. but the wind and rain just sucks.
    Be carefull everyone.............YG

26. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

Rickybop ,
    Glad to hear that , the wife and I bought a farm up in Vanderbilt and they are making great progress on the pole barn because of better that avg weather . Now this spring I have to start hauling all these parts up there . Already have a 50 foot moving trailer full setting there
    Oldog

27. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

Hay Yardgoat, you only live about 25 miles north of me. I have friends and relatives that live in the Rockmart Area. Thanks for the Prayers and the wife and one of the girls is feeling better. Hope all of your folks are doing well.