Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is brake line?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Montechris, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Montechris

Montechris

What standard is brakeline, I know its not NPT, is it simply classified as "Flare"? I need some brake line brass fittings that are not typical(of auto parts stores) and im having trouble getting the right sizes.

I need a 90 flare to come out of a master cylinder to accept a 1/4 inch line and i have gotten a few with the wrong flare and/or the wrong thread etc. I'm pretty sure i just need to stick with inverted flare however, i'm sick of ordering the wrong parts.

thanks for all help!

Chris

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It could be different for some makes / years, but all brakes I've dealt with have been Inverted Flare.

Go behind the counter at NAPA or O'Reillys, and dig through their brass section. Sometimes parts are mislabeled, but generally you can find what you need.

3. Yep you are dealing with straight sizes, flare and inverted flare. They do not taper like NPT.

4. V8Mongrel

V8Mongrel
    from Apex, NC

There are three flares. Assuming this is for your 1953 Pontiac, it is safe to assume that it isn't the bubble flare. That means it is either single or double flare:
    [​IMG]

I believe that ¼" line is 7/16-24 thread.

Check out this link:
    http://www.plews.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1869&location_id=2516
    That gives you pretty good overview of what types there are. The 258340 is a straight adapter for the ¼" line to the now standard 3/16" IF which is likely the easiest to find replacement tubing.

5. Unless you've got a '33 Bugatti or something really off the wall like that you should be able to buy anything you want at the auto-parts. You shouldn't have to order anything either. Go to a real auto-parts store like a NAPA or the like and not a auto-Supermarket like an auto-zone, etc. Bring your master with you and dig into the brake fittings.

Oh one other thing is that 3/16 line is pretty standard also. Unless you're getting into some of the rerally exotic stuff like they would have used in Can Am or NASCAR. Maybe looking for 1/4" is what your problem is.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I need a 90 flare to come out of a master cylinder to accept a 1/4 inch line and i have gotten a few with the wrong flare and/or the wrong thread etc

you might be accidently getting metric thredded fittings..i ran into this a few times,, gotta look real good at the tag to see what thread the fittings are

you can get US standard line size, with metric fittings..gotta look good at the tag..and i noticed even the color code isnt different from the US thredded ones and the metric ones..at least 3 weeks ago they werent different..screwed me up...got a few metric ones in the garbage can..both the US thredded ones and the metric thredded ones had the same dam red tag on em..but if you looked close to the tag it says what thread the fittings are

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

ALL Brake lines on older American cars are double flare.

Single flare is used for plumbing, in houses and such.

Bubble flare is for the most part used on foreign cars in earlier applications. I understand some American cars are using this stuff now but never on earlier applications.

8. 4woody

4woody

If it is the side of the fitting that goes into the m/c itself that you are having trouble with, it is because that is a non-standard thread- supposedly to keep the factory workers from assembling things wrong.

9. dbradley

dbradley

Pretty sure you aren't going to find a 90° inverted flare M-F elbow (which is what you're asking for) Think about it. How would you have the flare bottom out and seal at exactly the right point? I think what you'll end up with is a inverted flare male to npt fitting, then a NPT to inverted flare elbow. (Two pieces so you can get the angle pointing the direction you want with the flare bottomed out.) Another possible solution (I don't know if they make one) would be a Banjo fitting 7/16" to Fml flare. They do make these in 7/16" to AN style fittings.

10. V8Mongrel

V8Mongrel
    from Apex, NC

Good point. I have seen it on late model cars, particularly with ABS systems, where all the front lines have the normal size fitting (3/8-24 for 3/16" line) but the rear system has an oversize fitting even though the pipe is the same size. I thought that was a new thing that came about because of ABS where there are so many brake lines that it would be easy to mess it up. Would a 1953 Pontiac even have a tandem master cylinder with multiple ports?

11. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

12. I use a local hose co. He has all sorts of fittings and will order if he doesn't carry a particuler one.

13. Montechris

Montechris

This is the start of the problem. I'm upgrading to a 1969 GM dual mc and there is not a lot of room on the pontiac to do this. My rear output is dumping too close to the body mount so i need the 90 piece so it dumps down.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Chris

14. dbradley

dbradley