Register now to get rid of these ads!

GNRS so who won ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

You would be even more bummed if you would have heard it run. They had to start it for judging, that thing sounded terrible, popping,banging, hardly ran at all.
    Jimmy White

2. Just so much bling. Makes me wanna throw rocks at it.

3. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I'm having flashbacks from 2008

[​IMG]

4. yardgoat

yardgoat

I HATE THOSE WHEELS,SUCKY,SUCKY,SUCKY.id PICK ANY home built car/truck here on the HAMB other than THAT.Honestly what are those tires good for? not ride,not for lasting,not for price, and for me not for looks,might be good to burn out a stump..........................YG

5. ocfab

ocfab

i saw this car a few months ago i looks like it was in a earthquake with bondo crack's

6. radio_king

radio_king

The HAMB pick.PLEASE!!!!

7. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

We have officially been pimped!

8. turdytoo

turdytoo

I am glad that I am considered to be one of the group that picked the Journal's award and not of a group who's judges chose this as their pick!

9. moparjack44

moparjack44

I confess, I do not know the definition of a Street Rod, but IMO, this isn't a Street Rod. It's a 'butt ugly" Roadster. :(

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  10. sawzall

sawzall

some darn expensive advertising..

11. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

This is a serious question.
    What criteria do the judges use to pick their winner?

I saw part of a TV show about GNRS which left me with the impression that the judging is based on perfection of build, attention to detail, cleanliness, etc, rather than overall aesthetic design, function, or faithfullness to tradition.
    In my subjective opinion, this year's winner is gaudy and tasteless, but maybe it was perfectly detailed and spotlessly clean and that's what the judges want. If this is the case, it might be too much to expect a real HAMB friendly hot rod to ever win.

12. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

Ya know I hear all the fr$%^&*()) whine what do ya expect its a a car show! its always been about money and you dopes feed into it ya probly all go to bj too! I dont do car shows been around long time the only time I went was to mock the dopes that take part in it it a money think I do see alot of alum. on some of these TRAD! cars back in the we could not buy cool but the vendors sure make a pile on you guys and ya say the elders hourd stuff you guys are worst about that stuff IT A HOBBY HAVE FUN stop complaining or dont go sure seems to be alot of pics, so BOYS they got your money!!

13. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

was this one designed by our government?

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Same builder, same display:rolleyes:

Recycled display = no cost

Same builder as above car, Scott's something or another. He's that big guy that always dresses in shorts and ratty t-shirt. His real name is Justin. His Dad's name was/is Scott and that's who he named the shop after.

Big drama involved regarding the car was not "ready" by 12 noon on Friday. It was 11:58 or something like that and they just put the car on the display but were still cleaning, etc after 12 noon which is a big no-no. Lots of pissed off other contenders as they felt everyone should play by the same rules. After hours bar drama :D

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  15. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

The Reid/Pelosi/Frank entry takes top spot at GNRS!

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

OK!!! What's it going to take for someone to tell us what the HAMB pick was? We've wasted enough space talking about the afterbirth of a horribly gone bad abortion (the winner in case you need directions :mad:)

Frank

17. Just having the chance to see "Possessed"...I'm pretty sure I'm the winner.

18. 19-c

19-c

19. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Mighty Fishy !!! 2008 Mighty Fishy !!! back in 2010. Let's see who wins in 2012...

20. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Logan Davis 28 Ford roadster won the HAMB award...
    [​IMG]

More details here...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=7582

21. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Apparantly you can polish a turd if you give it a nice paint job.

22. hankcash

hankcash

While walking the show, I realized just how rare our breed actually is... it was the cars that I liked the least that were surrounded by the most people. There were a couple of 2010 Camaros outside and they were getting more onlookers than most cars parked inside. I kept thinking... just go down to the car dealership if you wanna see one of those. I do respect the amount of time and workmanship that goes into most of these cars regardless if they are "my style" or not. You can usually find one or two innovative things on just about any custom car at this level. Take it for what it is.. remember, we are the minority.

23. sloppy_J

sloppy_J

every year the ambr winner makes me throw up in my mouth a little...... ive got a bad taste in my mouth again this year.
    BUT..... congrats to logan davis on the hamb pic!!! super nice ride.

24. Muttley

Muttley

Thats the way I like it.

25. Fogger

Fogger

I've attended the GNRS since it was in Oakland. Through all those years I've seldom liked the show winner, but for me it's more about seeing old friends, checking out all the cars and the vendors. To me I can't take the judges choice seriously and as has been stated the prowler concept has been way overdone. The H.A.M.B. choice winner is more to my liking.

26. As I understand it, judging is based on the workmanship of the car more than the "design"
    The judges' job is to find flaws in the workmanship and deduct points appropriately.
    I don't think you could judge exclusively on design because it's a matter of taste. Let's face it, hot rodding is an art form and "you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself."

27. 68Caddy

68Caddy

Ditto.

28. 68Caddy

68Caddy

its a walmart mentality.

29. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

same display with a new wrap and wheel stands as the 2008 winner, if you want a ambr trophy winner go to scotts but if you want a timeless good looking car, go to.....

peoples taste at these shows in evolving, but its not reflecting in the judging. The love for nostalgia is prevalent compared to the years prior, I hope the judging catches up, maybe its time for some fresh blood behind the clipboards.

One thing I suggested for AMBR was have a % that is public opinion a % that is show participants and the remaining % based on a point system for craftsmanship creativity and execution.

30. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So true and that is part of what makes it so kool.

When I was going through the contender list I thought that it was a no brainer
    who was going to win. I was hoping that the Gold roadster pickup would win but
    when you judge a show you don't get points for personal prefrence aka taste. I'm
    not a fan of Scott's (not my style) work but winning two GNRS trophies sure looks
    good on a builders resume.

Like Hank said we are a Minoirity.

Happy Trails,

Mick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.