Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for the artists- 1 shot paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ayers Garage, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I need to paint a couple of signs for my powdercoating shop. My buddy is a sign guy so he is making me stencils out of vinyl sign material. I figured I'd use 1 shot paint for this project, which I have never used before.

I want the finished project to look aged so I plan to brush paint it then lightly sand the finished piece afterwards to achieve the desired weathering. When I order my paint, do I need the specific hardener from 1 shot too ? To get good brush strokes look I figured I'd have to thin it some. Is their thinner the only option or can I use some enamel reducer or lacquer thinner from around my shop here ?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Bluefoot

Bluefoot

you can use mineral sprits, thats what i use,if you wanting to look old and you using stenals, take a rag and wipe paint on with it, ,you can get the look that way also you can do more than one color over the other, try it first on some thing else to see how it looks, also i wouldn't use harder cause it'll age better without it.good luck ,want to see pic when done

3. make sure your stencils are stuck down good..1-shot bleeds really easily otherwise....what a lot of guys do..is once the 1-shot gets to the point where its semi dry...kind of tacky...use windex and a scotchbright pad..and gently, scrub away...i have also herd about picking up dirt off the ground..and rub it all over the tacky paint..it rubs some off, and then dirt stickts to it as well....

those are my suggestions..i personally have not done this..but..this is what i have been told!
    Mask

4. Gator

Gator

5. bikeguydave

bikeguydave
    from Kentucky

I must be missing something, I didn't see the "aging" part, just the painting part..?

6. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Fellas, I appreciate the suggestions and links. I figured I'd apply the stencils then shoot a coat of flat clear over the whole project to seal the stencil edges first before applying the lettering.

This is the truck picture where my buddy superimposed the artwork onto the picture. He's going to cut the sign in reverse so I apply it as a stencil rather than a sign. I will paint the lettering white then peel the vinyl back off.

[​IMG]

7. Hard Luck

Hard Luck

What ever happened with this ?

I use PPG DTR602 medium temp enamel reducer when striping and 1 Shot Hardener #4007.

You can use Mineral Spirits, but the PPG stuff seems to work a little better for me. I have never used anything BUT the 1 Shot Hardener, so I can't speak for that as far as using something else. I did, however, just run out and had to buy a 4 oz can of a generic hardener and was going to use it to stripe a bicycle a couple weeks ago and the guy just ended up clearing it and having me stripe over the clear.

Hope that helps some. Here's some striping I did recently.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Aaron

8. crash11049

crash11049

he's calling it weathering, same thing
    I have never heard of a hardner for one shot, is it available?

9. skullhat

skullhat

you can thin 1 shot with most anything. i prefer urethane reducer, as i always have some around, but other things are just as good.

as for as aging, the tip about leaving out the hardener will definatly help.

basically if you just over reduce the stuff and put it on thin, it will look aged all by itself pretty quickly.

gotta say l love the tip about rubbing dirt in it....back when i worked for a guy we used to apply dust to the finished cars if they didint look just right on their own, we called it delivery dust , lol
    "get that vw outside, and slap on some delivery dust" never will forget that one

skull

10. Hard Luck

Hard Luck

Yeah, you can find it at quite a few places on the Internet. It's about $35-40 for a pint though, depending on where you look. Just go to Google and type in "1 Shot hardener #4007" and that will bring up some places you can get it from.

-Aaron