Register now to get rid of these ads!

Conspiracy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 76F350, Jan 31, 2010.

1. If the gentleman was talking about trucks did he forget about the 80's and 90's Chevy trucks or maybe the conspiracy is those were not really headlights since they are square??? Gmc also use them all the way to '72.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. Doesn't matter - cars or trucks - the law was the same for both, and the auto manufacturers intent was the same on both cars and trucks. Plus, his dates for the trucks were not entirely correct, in any case.

3. GMC continued to use them through 1972.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Not on all models.... ;)

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Reginald is the key ........

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was a 16 year old car nut when the 1958 models came out, and I remember it was the latest styling gimmick and a real BIG thing. It was just about all we talked about for the next 6 months.:D

8. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Just trends, they come and go. Alot of 80's cars had quade headlights also, like GM's Olds Cutlass Supreme[​IMG]

9. squirrel

squirrel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Je m'escuse M."California", mais je suis bilingue, et des fois je suis confus en mon orthograph!!! Je pensais que cette "message board" etais du genre automobile traditionelle, et non pas du sujet de la propreter de langue anglaise.

Alors, bonne soire!!!

11. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

This is starting to sound more like a covert action rather than a conspiracy.:cool:

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That is a US spec GMC, but is the "el cheapo" or "Fleet" model I believe.........have seen several of them over the years, although they were only a relatively small percetage of total production.

Ray

13. squirrel

squirrel

yup, it's the fleet model, I've seen a few personally, and there are pics of more on the web. They used a chevy dash too, with a GMC logo on the chevy type gage cluster

Normally priced (expensive) 59 jimmys had 4 headlights, like a Chevy.

14. 76F350

76F350

I only talk trucks, I'm not into cars...

15. 76F350

76F350

Guys, Click the link in my signature, my '59 Chev has 'em, The '58-'59 did, the '57-Down did not, for most vehicles.
    For Dodge, After they switched to Single HeadLights, the headlights were bigger and rounder than normal.
    [​IMG]
    There isn't a Ford Truck built after 1960 with double headlights. (I don't keep track of anything after 1980)

16. 1946WillysJeep

1946WillysJeep
    from St. Thomas

Chev/GMC used them until 1991 in the Blazer/Jimmy/Suburban. My 86 Silverado has them. Oh, and I believe 'quade' was a misprint of 'quad, eh?';)

17. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

I don't have anything to add to the discussion

Attached Files:

18. The headlights are the same size as every other single-headlight system, I've only owned seven Dodge Sweptlines with this grille. The headlight doors (same as the A100 van/truck, BTW) make the lights themselves look bigger, that's all.

19. .C.D.O.

.C.D.O.
    from APT

20. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Companies that owned a lot of trucks, ordered them with just two headlights, so the bulbs were the same for all their trucks. The company I worked for before I retired had that in their specs into the mid 90s, long after most trucks had composite headlights. If you could not provide just two 6" headlights, we did not buy your trucks.

21. 31Atudor

31Atudor

It's always been my understanding they were put there so hot rodders could take out the headlights, install dryer ducting and run them to the carb intake box. The companies had just pulled out of active racing at the end of 57, but they knew thay had to do something for 58.

The feds changed the headlights law to allow the headlights in all cars so the feds couldn't claim it was promoting hot rodding. They realized without rodders their revenue base would drop.

Life has always been a conspiracy. You young guys will eventually figure it all out.

22. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Hey man... What's wrong with quads? I like em on my 59 F-100.

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Chevrolet used quads from 58 well into the 90s. Forget quad lights, the real question is why did the auto company stop making hardtops.