Register now to get rid of these ads!

34 FORD / HEMI dilema.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kippers 34, Jan 31, 2010.

1. I have unfortunetly decided that I need to sell my 34 ford truck. But I dont know if I should leave the chrysler hemi in it or if I should swap in a good running 302 that i have? I have a lot of money in the hemi and i could ask less if I swap engines and save hemi for a future project. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

• 201.JPG
      201.JPG
      File size:
      165 KB
      Views:
    • 202.JPG
      202.JPG
      File size:
      172.7 KB
      Views:
    • 198.JPG
      198.JPG
      File size:
      166 KB
      Views:
    • 203.JPG
      203.JPG
      File size:
      164.6 KB
      Views:
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I consider Hemi's rather iconic, so I would do the swap and keep the Hemi for the next ride. Selling the P/U with a power plant is a good idea. People will always enjoy a new project, but one that runs and drives is more desireable and will get a better price for you.

Nice P/U by the way.

3. Deuces

Deuces

I'd keep the Hemi..... Those things are getting hard to come by. That's my 2 cents.

4. farmer12

farmer12

Drop the 302 in the truck. Keep the Hemi for future plans, considering you've already spent a lot of money on the engine. Car will sell cheaper/faster with the 302 I would think. Good luck. Nice ride!!

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

What was modified to get the hemi in there? Frame lengthened? Firewall set back? DZ302 Chevy, 302 Ford? The Ford would be longer I would think and fill engine area up better. Definitely keep the Hemi, Hemi's like that only come around once in a lifetime, at least my lifetime.....................

On another note I don't think a Ford 302 will look quite rite on a hoodless P/U JMO
    maybe a baby Hemi, Nailhead or Y-block?

6. I set the cab back so as not to reces the firewall. the 302 is ford and the trans in the truck is a ford T-5 so no mods would be neaded there.

7. jj mack

jj mack

Keep the hemi.... you would someday regret selling it.

8. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Keep the hemi nice conversation piece until you get your next project

9. Keep the Hemi. As they become even more expensive to build, the one you have becomes more valuable and harder to replace.

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I looked at your 4 pics but something is missing, how about some side shots............

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If your selling the truck definitely keep the Hemi. A new owner will never appreciate the money and effort it took to put it together and into the truck. A new owner is more than likely going to be a new rodder or one that can't/won't be able to appreciate the significance of a hemi powered rod and the expense involved to create one. All bets are off if you can corral a fat wallet gold chainer that values the impact of a hemi and is willing to pay for it. In this economy I would say you have two chances of that happening......................slim and no.:)

Frank

12. krooser

krooser

Well the Hemi makes it something more desireable doesn't it? That should reflect itself in the price... you should get what it costs to replace the engine... You can always build another... on the second build you'll be smarter than on the first, right?

13. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Too bad you have to sell your hot rod, however; you can locate another cab down the road for your next build. As usual your second build, may have a few modifications compared to your current P/U. Don't let the hemi go, as everyone else has already stated, drop in the 302....

I would certainly sell your hot rod as a runnning and driving vehicle. It is valued more running than a roller which still needs a motor, instalation, wring, tuning, exhaust, etc... You can accomplish all this in one long weekend !

Good luck.....

14. a fool and his hemi are soon parted:eek::eek::eek:...........yeah keep it....way easier to throw it in a new project..;).besides, wouldn't it bust your balls to find that the new owner pulled and sold the hemi for cheap??or worse yet, to get a 302 to stuff in there:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. 356a

356a
    from CA

I am new to this. What's a hemi worth? Are they really that hard to find?

Just trying to educate myself

thanks

16. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

KIPPERS...you said you HAVE TOO! sale it. i can say this, it would brang BIG buck's with the hemi. not to mention all the work involved. brother bite the bullet and sale as is. or pull the engine and trany, and sale the rolling chassy... yea i know it hurts, but my friend i've been there...POP.

17. I enjoy the build as much as the finished project so with a 36 ford coup project in the rafters i will have a driver fairly soon as it's flathead still runs and i'v been colecting parts for it for years. I just figured that if I could sell for less I would be more likley to sell easyier and I have no problem keeking the hemi.

18. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

There is nothing wrong with letting the potential buyer decide... have an "as is" price... and an optional reduced price without the motor or the other motor installed (non-refundable deposit on the swap... lets face it - this economy isn't in your favor for getting a premium buck out of your ride... so why go the extra expensive on the swap with the possibility of a sale... and then you have a car that isn't the way you wanted in the first place and a motor you would rather be driving sitting on a engine stand... the potential driver may look at the substantial savings to jump on the ride or at least walk away with a better justification of your asking price because maybe they haven't look at the cost of Hemi ownership

19. When I was selling my Model A nobody called or came to look at it till I put a SBC in. I think they are afraid of them....

20. SLCHC-CHIEF

SLCHC-CHIEF
    from S.L.U.T

lets see pics of the new project!!

21. Keep the hemi and put a small block in it. Like Fullblast said I think that some people are afraid of them and have no idea why we even like them.

22. JimSwann

JimSwann

If I was selling it I would keep the hemi, If I was buying I'd want the hemi. Beauty of a truck with or without the hemi, it should sell well either way.

23. 73RR

73RR

The best way to get some EarlyHemi under your belt is to start reading through the Hemi Tech section:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118764

...take notes, there will be a test...

24. aircoup

aircoup

toull miss that hemi if ya get rid of it

25. brad chevy

brad chevy

Put it up for sale at price with hemi,or price with 302 ,you might be surprised!

26. Thanks for all of your thoughts on the subject. Any others?

27. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

I will trade you 3 and a half 36 ford coupes for it straight across and you keep the hemi

28. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

Your truck looks killer just the way it is and I would think I'm not the only one who thinks so. Put your price high enough to feel comfortable buying another hemi, they're not that hard to find if you've got the bucks. You could always change your mind if it doesn't sell. Ask yourself how much you think it's worth with the hemi compared to the 302. I think it would be quite a bit but then again I like hemi's. Good luck with it.