Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 37 GMC build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by r.s.s., Feb 24, 2009.

1. barslazyr

barslazyr

Truck looks killer, Looks like you laid the pillers back? I'm getting ready to start a 37 Chevy, with a 3 in chop. thanks for the pics and thread, I will follow this to the end. Also what seat did you use?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. power58

power58

Great build, you could make your own DVD. Looking forward to more. Thanks for posting.

3. Rande

Rande

Looks great! I'm in the middle of a '37 Chevy PU build myself. Took a different approach. I'm using a Buick straight eight engine with T5 tranny, slightly extended suicide front (long wheelbase). I do need to chop it though.

Do you have more photos of the chop?

[​IMG]

4. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

Thanks guys. barslazyr you are correct the pillars are laid back. You should also know when you do the chop the windsheild frame will not sit properly in the opening (along the cowl). We then had to lean the cowl. this is done by removing the rivets in the door pillars (behind the dash/dash brackets) then pushing the dash brackets towards the firewall then weld in place. I then made 2 new brackets from some angle bolted them to the dash and set the dash back in and tacked the brackets in. remove the dash and fully weld. The seat is out of a 2000ish dodge mini van (back seat).

5. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

Rande, I love the straight 8! I'm gonna have to build something with one one day, maybe a lakes car! Sorry I don't have any other chop specific pics. but when you do chop it I found that using the original roof joint on the A pillar seemed to work out well. We just marked up from the joint, made the first cut then unbolted the pieces on the A pillar, and the roof just about sliped right back together ( with a bunch of massaging of couse).

6. Rande

Rande

Thanks! I found the Buick engine by chance, crated and ready to load. Another fellow was building a boat-tail replica (from scratch, out of metal!) but passed on before finishing. Thought it would make a cool, different power plant.

The photos you have posted will certainly help. Probably won't chop it this summer but perhaps for next winter that would make a nice project.

If you are interesed at all, here's a link to my project. Circumstances have conspired to halt progress for the last few months (car crash, work slowdown, etc) but things are beginning to look up and I'll resume work on my '37 soon.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325728

7. barslazyr

barslazyr

r.s.s Thanks for answering my questions. this tread will be alot of help. Keep up the good work.

8. kustoms.37

kustoms.37

like the thread alot i started my 37 chevy about 1.5 month ago i should have a roller by the end of the week ... ur chop advice has opened my eyes some as this will be my first

9. lawman

lawman

Very nice work !!!Here is a picture of my Grandsons 38.We have been working on it for about 13 mons now,Keep posting.Tom (Tired Old man)

Attached Files:

10. CultureCreature

CultureCreature

11. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

Wow has it been a long time since I updated. Well after a stint on the other side of the country I'm back home and working on this thing. I'm trying my best to have it on the road this summer. It finally has door skins, and a frame for the bed floor. I also whiped up a set of lakes style headers. Just have to replace one cab corner and mount the grill shell and I'll just about be ready for another coat of sealer.

12. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Randy...gotta like your build
    I do not have a frame and would like to consider building one?
    Did you have an orig frm to mimick? How did figure on the lengths up front?
    Kick up in back, etc...
    I trying to figure out reference points on which to use..