Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is your stupidest car superstition?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Nov 16, 2009.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

O. k., if you just clicked on this thread for the first time stop, go back and read my original post on this from 11-22-09 or so. It's cool, I'll wait... Oh, your back! Pretty stupid thing to get all worked up about, right. Sure... Except the curse is rockin' again! As of 12:43 pm Az. time the Ugly Plymouth is wounded again. Decided to get my zippy new enotseriF (oh sorry, I'll turn the tire right side up, FIRESTONE ), ribbed tires mounted for the modified I'm building. Cruising down 1st ave just as it turns into one way mode, I'm in the left lane minding my own business. When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a 75 year old lady 2/3s of a car length ahead of me in a P.T. cruiser instantly making a left turn from the center lane! Total, complete, unavoidable, WABBADUNGE!!! Followed directly by the sounds of tinkling glass and stainless trim falling to the ground. THE CURSE LIVES! After eight years and over 100,000 miles since the last crunching episode, (which prompted the last left headlight change) the Plymouth is s.o.l. again. The score as it stands now is: the entire left front corner of a 2004 PT cruiser, (she didn't get to drive her's home), and a '48 Plymouth with a 1/4"shorter wheelbase on the right side, a dead right front fender, trim for said fender, broken front bumper, dead headlight door,bent frame, bent frame horn, destroyed 15 by 7 American salt flat mag and tire, a punched in cowl, a ticket in her hand, no apology for me. Net result? One seriously pissed off Minnesota Swede, with one seriously crunched '48 Plymouth. Call me silly, but it is right here on my screen - curses suck! P.S. The only bright side in the day? Went over to Elpolacko's shop to survey the damage and took a lap in the green truck, my first since the twin turbos. SWEET DEAREST GOD IN HELL THAT THING IS FAST!!! The backs of my eyeballs still hurt !

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

IF when i get in the car when drunk and it doesn't start on the third crank, i ain;t going anywhere!!!

3. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I cannot comment on the reliabilty of any of my cars without them breaking down within a week.

Said something about my daily S-10 only needing a fuel pump in a year of driving. The 1# spark plug wire and rotor button went out. Fixed that, said it would probably need nothing else for a year, and then the coil failed.

My '88 Olds. Said I'd only put tires on it and it was dead reliable. Commented on it, Stuck Thermostat, then random over heating, cat converter clogged up and caught on fire, ignition module fell apart.

I never said anything good or bad about my '86 Nissan. It broke down bi-weekly.

4. 454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR

454_4_ON_THE_FLOOR
    from Selden, TX

I've always thought that too, don't take the car you drive every day to look at different cars. One time I drove my old stepside to the car lot on the edge of town in the evening to look at an old mustang, left my 454 running cause my starter was shot and while I was standing there my crappy worn out daytona shifter jumped into gear and my truck took off! I never made that mistake again

5. No Cents

No Cents

I NEVER name a street car. Boat yes, car no. (the exception is a race car)
    I have to have all four tires the same brand.
    I have been known to talk to my vehicles when nobody else is around. :D

6. I believe my ol truck is cursed, told the old guy I'd wash it every week and only drive it on Sundays. He said a guy told him while looking at it that he was going to put a sbc in it, the owner threw him right off the property. While making the deal I knew damn well I was going to turn this semi-restored Sunday driver into a hot rod.
    I got a ticket/tow job on the way home from his place, fresh paint on a fresh chop and the garage I rented caved in on top of it. Now it doesn't stop there, make a bit of progress then out of nowhere something crazy will happen. The transmission grenaded the case one night without a freaking driveshaft hooked up. Today while fabbing up a bed mount the strangest harmonic sound was coming from somewhere. I stopped and said if you'd just let me finish you, you'd see how much better you are. Funny enough that when I went back to doing the exact same fabbing the sound wasn't there.

7. ugotpk

ugotpk

What's with all this voo doo shit. You boys just need a good set of tools and half a brain. UGOTPK

8. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Japanese cars are bad about this, ask any vet who was there for the big one about what kind of strange things went on. too many really weird things to even find a place to start. Speaking of superstitions, I had that Dodge Aspen, wouldn't run worth a crap for anything, rebuilt the carb,went through the engine, did everything possible to make it run right. should have ran like a bat out of hell. Nothing worked right, finally sold it to a local junkyard as a running project, some fat redneck bought it, the son of a bitch cranked up and ran perfectly from the minute he got it. I guess it hated me, no explanation for it running the way it did. Chrysler products are possessed anyway.

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you must not have not spent a lot of time with cars then, I don't believe in all the voodoo stuff eithier, but i've seen way too many strange things happen to just dismiss it.

10. Before I drive any of my cars I like to sacrifice a virgin. At least I would like to sacrifice a virgin, but I don't know any. I guess in the meantime I'll just have to keep killing chickens and dancing around their entrails under a full moon.

11. nutajunka

nutajunka

Had a 56 chevy step-side that I built from the ground up. Everyone who drove it except me died. The original owner 4 weeks later, good friend 6 months later, and some kid who took it for a joy ride died about 6 months afterwards. Kept getting bugged by people wanting to buy it so one day I said the next person who knocks on that door get's it. 15 minutes later there was a knock, paid in cash the next day, hit a giant buck 2 weeks later. Totaled the front of the truck, but he surived, so I guess the weird stuff surrounding that truck finally ended. Oh and when I bought the cab there was a bullet hole right through the back of the cab where the driver would have been seated. Weird...:eek:

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

13. tom heath

tom heath
    from Enid, Ok.

i DONT BELIVE IN SUPERSTITION ITS ALL B.S., BUT I ALSO DONT WALK UNDER LADDERS ,OPEN UMBRALAS IN THE HOUSE AND I EAT BLACKEYE PEES & HAM ON NEW YEARS DAY , JUST BECAUSE I WANT TO ;. I LEARNED A LONG TIME AGO IF YOU THROW A FIT WHILE WORKING ON CARS NOTHING ELSE ON THE CAR WILL GO RIGHT. KEEP YOUR KOOL AND ENJOY WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND EVERY THING USELY GOES GOOD. IS THIS THE CARS FAULT OR YOURS?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  14. no bobble head dash board people.... had this one put it on the dash.. skidded on ice and totaled the car... it stayed there for a week or so then i got another car pulled the bobble head guy and stuck it on the new dash.. same day got clipped in the rear quarter and rolled the car... left the bobble head where it was... Haven't been in an accident since... and every white vehicle I've had has prematurely puked a transmission.

15. olds vroom

olds vroom

Back when i built street stock race cars any car that started green gave us bad luck.

16. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

No red interiors. Every car i have ever known with red interior has been trouble.

17. 69fury

69fury

Daily drivers and work vehicles will break right after you fill the tank to the top, but the hotrod gets pissed when you skimp. Gotta keep her well fed.

18. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

Smart-ass! on a similar note, statistics have proved that most accidents happen within 5 miles of home. I'm movin!

19. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Not a superstition, but more a pet peeve, but I hate when racers put the hoods on the roof of cars. It just always bugged (in a stupid way) me for some reason....

20. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

I never stare at my cars for long periods of time.

21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

And I thought I was the only one who talked to my cars. Looks like I'm in good company.
    LOL

22. Stumpuller

Stumpuller

Drawing an "X" on the windsheild with your finger when a black cat runs infront of you.

but i keep a black cat bone in the ashtray of Norma Jean...(non smoker)

after running over a snake not making sure its dead... saw my mild mannerd grandfather just about tear the transmission out of a late 70s new yorker with 440.
    this was very entertaining...superstition or laden fear of snakes?? its up to you.

23. Fingers

Fingers

Well I'm screwed then:D

24. When it comes to rods, my thing, so i discovered, is buying and driving someone elses creation. Done it a few times but never kept them very long. Bugs the crap out of me. It would be different if it was a old Winfield car thou.

25. BISHOP

BISHOP

Every accident Ive been in (while driving) was less than five miles from where I lived.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Bishop, Now that I think about it, mine have all been within about 2mi.

27. BOHICA

BOHICA

I think you guys are plumb silly. :D

The one superstition I've heard is if you're already left your house and forget something, don't go back or something bad will happen on your trip.

Of course, it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the closer a road is to your home, the more often you will be driving on it. ;)

28. gotmark73

gotmark73

got two, when traveling with your s/o as you cross a state line you say to her "I love you very much in (state you just entered)" my parents did when I was a kid and we always had a safe trip so I have continued that with my wife.

The real wierd one is you always have to "christen" a street car by having sex in or on it. You can NEVER do that with a track car. In other words get freaky with your girl and a car that can hurt you, but show more respect for the car that can KILL you. I will hang my head in shame and be quiet now because no one including my wife has ever heard this, I always just made excuses why the race car was never "involved" in our fun.