Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Buddy Alcorn Mercury?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pimpin paint, Jan 5, 2008.

1. twochops

twochops

------------------------------------------------------------
    Well said, agree with that 100%.He is always willing to help out.

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Not to hijack... but Rikster any info on the shoebox in the barris photo... I too a pic of this shoebox at the hambdrags this year!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Rikster

Rikster

Junior Conway's Shoebox.... I'm not sure if the car survived... and if the black primer Shoebox is the real deal or a "clone"

[​IMG]

Andy Southard Photo
    EDITED
    This photo has been removed by request of the copyright holder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Yep looks like maybe they liked the tail light treatment... although it's the same club coupe body and a 51... it could be on it's way to being a clone??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is his goal....It will be koool when its finished.

6. Rikster

Rikster

Here is the written part of an article on the Alcorn Merc in the May 2001 issue of Custom Rodder magazine...

Click on the photo to get a larger scan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. I would imagine that would become a very slippery slope for a promotor though. You start compensating one guy to bring a car and everyone else wants the same treatment and pretty soon you have no event because it is financially undoable.

8. Greezer

Greezer
    from Arnold MO

My personal opinion is the car has had many owners and each has contributed their own spin on what it should look like and since they own the car it's theirs to do with it as they please. Purist my ass...Jealous is more like it. I have personally seen Kurt's cars and they are fantastic and he knows more about their history than anyone. Kurt is a Great guy who is taking rotting pieces of junk and bringing them back from the dead and making them whole again and then instead of letting them rot in storage somewhere he drives them. And as far as taking the car to Sacramento for a show, Geez he lives in Missouri, do you know what it takes to get it there. Give the guy a break he is bringing historical cars back from rotting, rusty pieces of junk and making them whole again for everyone to enjoy.
    He is a Captain in our car club and a great guy once you get to know him.
    So instead of critizing him maybe cut him some slack and thank him for his contributions to the Kustom car community.

9. I see your point BUT..... not everyone else has the Buddy Alcorn mercury.That event was a event for historic cars and Buddy's merc was forsure that.

10. Yeah but there were a lot of historic Mercs there and if you pay one guy to bring his you pretty much have to pay them all. If you don't then maybe the Sam Barris car isn't there or the Hirohata Merc isn't both probably more historically significant cars.

With that being said I am by no means saying that the owners of other cars definitley wouldn't bring their cars if money was provided to only one guy to bring a car but it definitely makes for a stick situation for the promoter.

11. Greezer

Greezer
    from Arnold MO

Lets say I deceided to have a show here in Missouiri and I advertised it as a historical show..I'm sure Kurt would be there but what about all the cars that reside in California? Get my point.

12. No one is knocking Kurt for not bringing the car. Jeff was just wondering why the event didn't help Kurt finance the shipping of it to California and I was pointing out that if you offer money to one guy to bring a car, no matter how far away he is, you pretty much have to offer everyone money and then the event becomes expensive to put on. Maybe too expensive.

13. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

Guys...here it is straight up.
    Kurt is the nicest guy you'll ever meet and opens his doors to everyone. These icons that he owns are shared with all who want to see them. Most of these cars were drug home rusted through and through missing most of the original drive train...tossed to the curb by the previous owners. His choices for restoration are done with a nod to the past, staying true to the era, but maintaining an ability to drive hundreds of miles when needed. I mean who the f@#$ really gives a shit if there is a 700R trans instead of the original Hydro behind an early Caddy V8 with ultra rare speed equipment. Is this really a 350/350? Pimp, You must really have a burr up your ass. Work it out brother. Does this really detract from the overall presentation? Kurt drives these cars...I know, he's a personal friend of mine and a fellow Pharaohs St. Louis club member and you can see an honest to God iconic historical Kustom at each and every one of our cruise nights. These cars sit on an open parking lot...no ropes, no asshole charging to see them. Kurt will stand there and tell the story of these cars to anyone that wants to know. Young kids get schooled on the ways of the past. Older guys get to live a dream of being face to face with a car from a magazine that they owned when they were young. Seriously, would anyone rather see these cars 100% pure sitting in a vacuum chamber behind glass in a museum or be able to walk up and touch a piece of history? Hell, sometimes he even gives rides. Kurt isn't a man of millions...he and his wife live a modest life in a normal house...just so happens to be attached to a 9 car garage full of some of the worlds most famous cars. I applaud this man for saving these cars. This is a life long passion for him and his wife.
    For the record, The Sam Barris Buick still runs the original straight 8. When Kurt drives it, he occasionally has to turn wrenches on the side of the road to get it home...I've seen it happen before.
    Just my opinion...Ok, now for some coffee

14. Greezer

Greezer
    from Arnold MO

Well said Sled...

15. rodbuilder

rodbuilder

I fully agree with StlouisSled...Kurt and Amy are the coolest kustom people you will ever come across....
    I did the frame off and paint and body on the 41 Caddy... And Jamie Rice did the top, and Dave Martinez did the interior...yes it has modern paint...thats what Kurt wanted, yes the drivetrain is what Kurt wanted....really are you gonna walk up to that at a show, and walk away becuase it has a little more modern drivetrain and paint that can be easier taken care of....would you rather him put it all back old dirvetrain and Laquer and leave it in a temp controlled building for no one to see...FUCK I mean really....some of you get so wrapped up in the old school...you forget you are using a computer maybe ya otta send notes by carrier pigeon...yup that would be "old School"
    This is a true Kustom guy SAVING rusted out cars for him and the world to enjoy....HUGE PROPS to him.
    I think this was a thread started about the coolness of the Alcorn Merc..but as usual the threads go negative in no time...come on guys.....and when I stood next to it the first time it gave me goose bumps as did it when I got to sit in the Zarro Merc...let along the feeling I got to work on something that Westergard did....damn I pinch myslef sometimes....
    Tim Strange
    www.strangemotion.com
    now back to your regularly scheduled program....

16. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

this isnt buddy's merc, its kurt's. I think he should put whatever he wants in it, do whatever he wants in it, and who cares about what anyone else thinks.

no one else bought that project under the tree and it certainly wasnt that far gone when buddy started, so the way I see it, kurt has done more to it than anyone. And its just gorgeous.

17. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

I too have met Kurt several times.In fact,he was or still is a "charter member"of the Kustom Knights of NJ.First met him and his wife,Amy,at the KKOA Leadsled Spectacular in Holland Michigan in '88.Than met them when he was invited to Lead East here in NJ,with the R&C Dream Truck.Very down to earth "car guy".At least his cars get DRIVEN!.

18. Rikster

Rikster

okay... let get this one back on track again.

The photos of the car on a trailer - which I posted on page one - comes from a book on Hot Rods by Pete & Jake.

Bellow is the complete page.. and the text that goes with it. The owner information is a bit outdated as well know now... But the rest is rather interesting. I had forgotten about this caption but here it stated that Ayala's not only performed all the body work but also painted (finished?) the car before Buddy Alcorn bought it...

[​IMG]

And the readable photo caption...

[​IMG]

I have always been amazed by the fact that the dog leg in the door was just filled with lead to create the fade-aways. I always assumed they would have created new metal shaped panels welded in place and with a little lead for any imperfections....

I also showed this Rodding and Re-styling February 1957 issue with the Alcorn Merc on the cover...
    This is not a magazine that I have in my collection... so I dont know if there is a full feature on the car inside. But perhaps one of you guys have this magazine... and would be so kind to scan the article inside... if there is one... would be very nice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  19. It would be interesting to see a picture of how it looked when the Ayalas were finished with it before it went to Barris. I assume the side trim was added by Barris as well (very Barris like) as it doesn't seem like something the Ayalas would have done.

20. So the car is around St. Louis? I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I am down there, I'd love to check it out.

21. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

Here's a shot of The Alcorn Merc next to the Westergard 41 Caddy, The Ogden/Piasano 41 Buick and another member of The Pharaohs St Louis 47 Merc Kustom built by Dick Dean...oh yeah...that's "The Parisienne" Barris built 54 Caddy in the background

Attached Files:

22. Rikster

Rikster

Here is an interesting online article on the Alcorn Mercury...

It would be really nice if we could find out more about the first owner of the car who had the Ayala's do the custom work... and see some finished photos of how it looked before Buddy bought it from him...

Amazing that a car with such great lines, coming from a major custom shop in 1952 never made it in any of the magazines.

23. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Great shot ! Thanks for sharing.

24. banditomerc

banditomerc

My favorite merc is the Bettancourt car,chopped by the Ayala bros.....of course,the best chopping jobs came from that chop!not to take away from the Barris bros...they can be 2nd!my 2 cents.Whats up Pimpin!

25. 00 MACK

00 MACK

There was an Ohio merc from the early 80s that has heavy Alcorn influence but by no means a clone called,"Half Breed"

26. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Rikster hisself took the pics of it on his site.

27. Rikster

Rikster

Took it in 1993 at the first Custom Car show in Pigeon Force...

Inspired.. but like you say not a clone... lake pipes have to go, sine trim on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Thanks Rik! I also like the car below it which ya may wanna include in the Charlie Brewer section.

29. Check out the picture of the car on the trailer (the way Kurt bought it in black primer.) The driver door has the stock line and no fadeaway done to it.

30. Rikster

Rikster

Makes me believe this dip in the door was completely filled in with lead, and for some reason they removed it from the door? I dont think its a new door.