Register now to get rid of these ads!

lost parts in garage.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by re-animator, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Ever lose parts in your garage? I just got done fixing the cracks in my steering wheel and repaining the horn ring, and sure enough, the center cap is M.I.A. It's too cold to go out and look right now, still below zero last time I checked, so I'm stuck for a bit. Maybe later I'll have some antifreeze and go dig around until I can't feel my toes, but for now I'll just whine a bit. Maybe if I whine long enough it will be April and I can get to work!

I hate misplacing crap. I know I put it in a box, in a safe place, but which box and how many times have I moved it since I bought the thing 18 months ago? I think it's time to come up with an inventory control program. Anybody have a system they use?

BTW, I used JB weld to fix the cracks in the wheel. It looks passable with a coat of flat black. Sorry no pics.

good luck and stay warm!

2. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Someone breaks into my garage every evening after I am asleep and moves things around so I cannot stuff the next day. I wish they would stop.

3. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Happens all the time,:mad: next year when the boy is off to school I wonder if this problem will stop? Probably not!:rolleyes:

4. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Like many others I have a garage gnome. He moves things around. He hides things and then after a couple of days he puts them back where I left them. He keeps me on my toes. I named him Cresent Wrench because he slips of at the worst of times.

5. It is like this. If you stashed the parts while consuming quantities of beverage, then you must of had consumed the same, correct amount again, to be able to find the lost parts!

6. Gerg

Gerg

i blame the underpants gnomes

7. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

I hate when ya drop that bolt or nut and it goes into that hole that you can never find till ya go get another,get use too it it happens more after 50 believe me !!!!

8. reece

reece
    from NC

On the flip side of this - do you ever find parts you forgot you had?

9. Yep, It's just like Christmas!

10. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

56Nobrakes and I have come to realize that you must wait until the part wants to be found. We have misplaced soooo many parts while building his '29 that we don't even try looking for them anymore. If we can't find it right away then we just wait until it pops up and says "here I am".

11. oldsroller

oldsroller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from PA

Garage floor monster!!!GFM loves to take things, he really loves making sure that every thing you drop goes directly under the middle of what you are working on(preferably in a puddle of oil,etc.).

12. fitzee

fitzee

Had this happen just a few months ago. needed a master cylinder for my Studebaker project and went out and paid $80 for one. going through my stash a few week later,what did I find? A M/C just like the one I picked up.Wasted $80 bucks!!DOH

On another note. Ever lose a part and go hunting for it and find something else you lost a while before. How many times have you said......Oh there is where I put that...Wondered where that was.Now if I can only find what I`m looking for!!!

13. This phenomenom is why I'm trying to get rid of as much non essential stuff as I can. I read a thread a while back about guys (like me) who have too much stuff. Someone said " the more stuff you own, the more your stuff owns you". Trouble is, I'm a sucker for a good deal. New years resolution to quit buying parts for cars I don't even own hasn't exactly worked out...

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Oh, yeah. All the time. Right now I cannot find to save my neck the rubber bump stops for the front lower control arms of the Diamond T, and I've misplaced the metric bolts that hold the hood on my "new" daily driver '06 Milan/Fusion (couldn't get cheapo aftermarket bumper cover and headlights for a Milan, so it's a "Milusion") project.

I think they've run off and hid with all the Phillips screwdrivers I (used) tow have...

Brian

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The only time I have a hard time finding anything is when I try to straighten up the garage and put eveything back where it belongs and thats when I cant find anything,now when it comes to finding nuts and bolts its easier to go to the hardware store when I am trying to find more them one of the same size.

16. narlee

narlee

It's part of the same phenomenon that causes you to need the item that you got rid of because it was taking up space and you knew you would NEVER use it.

17. I think they go to the same place my tools hide......then dare me to find them

18. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

i lost a NOS QUARTER PANEL for a 50 pontiac! i found it a year ago and put where i'd find it again. now i need it and it's lost again. i have parts scattered in three buildings and a trailer. i lose shit always. i won't buy anything over again that i lost that i know i have. this is my way of punishing my self for being careless.

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Yes after I've already spent the money to replace the lost parts.

20. DrJ

DrJ

It's the notorious gay burglar.
    He comes in at night and doesn't actually steal anything, he just rearranges the furniture! ;)

21. indyjps

indyjps

I write the contents of each box on the side, takes a lot of time but it gives me a chance of finding things. it still sucks between car tools, house tools, car parts for multiple vehicles, a home garage and a storage building 2 hours away things happen. Ive moved 4 times int he past 3 years so its forced me to pack and unpack numerous times. helped me get more organized and clear inventory.

22. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

It gets worse as you get older. What were we talking about??

23. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

i lose parts all the time . i was working on my 46 chevy pickup one day and lost a few of the parts i need and looked for about 2 days i they show up right where i already looked . how you ever junked something that you have had for a long time and the next day or week after it is gone you need it or could have sold it that happens to me all the time?thanks

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  24. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Its just my uncle trying to be a semi clean freak, ive lost a couple bolts from my damn engine and a bike project I had out

25. blt2go

blt2go

i used to blame it on my avatar "boner" the shop mascot but garage gnomes, underpants gnomes and gay burglars, finally a viable explanation!! i am the only one working in my shop 90 percent of the time yet stuff goes missing on a daily basis, sometimes i find things in places i don't go, that's what really disturbs me. but now i know. thanks guys.

26. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Maybe tri focals help, I can never seem to get the right lens with my head bobbing up and down. especially when under the car on the creeper. After I move the car they are right there????

27. 1arock

1arock

My wife says "A guy can only stand so many good deals at one time."

28. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

That only happens after another trip to the parts store, spending to much coin, taking a beating from the little woman for excessive spending "on that pile of crap again" and then after you "get-r-dun".

29. Somewhere in my shop is a NOS ignition switch for my '58. I have searched for it half a dozen times and it is nowhere to be found. I know it is in there somewhere and it's really beginning to piss me off! If i catch that little gay gnome thing in my shop he's had it!!

30. fitzee

fitzee

One thing I do when stripping cars apart is use zip lock bags and label the bags as I go. I find that the more bags you use the better it is when putting it all back together.What I mean is you don`t pitch all front end bolts in one bag and say front end bolts.I separate them. Steering box bolts in one bag, tie rod nuts in another etc. It may sound stupid but 4 months from now when you are putting it all back together you have forgotten what nuts and bolts go where.