Register now to get rid of these ads!

A tudor to pickup, does this look dumb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atotalnincompoop, Jan 13, 2010.

1. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I hope it don't look "dumb" that's how I built mine.

2. This one was build from a 29 tudor and rear corners from another 29 tudor
    Car was bought without everything behind the B-pillar and now has more
    room than a stock 29 PU

Attached Files:

3. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

+1

I've owned several cut down sedans. It was a VERY comon thing around WWII, but I guess that's not traditional enough for the retro stazi!

Fuck what anyone not writing you a check thinks.

4. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Dutch Deuce,

I like that! Nice truck.

5. my tudor was in pretty rough shape, was it repairable, i guess so. doing this is probably cheaper and easier:)

6. i agree that it is a little thick behind the doors, however to make the belt line work, it has to be.:)

7. after looking at the truck a few posts up from this, does the curved back of the cab really look so bad?
    i think it looks kinda cool. i'm not sure if i will be running a bed either.
    my original plans were to not:)

8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paralysis by analysis. just do it.

9. your good with me...this is how they did during WWII...sedans got turned into trucks..

10. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

I vote no on the chop.

11. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

Go for it!
    I vote no on the chop also

12. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

My uncle did a similar thing way back - out of necessity. He needed a truck so he made one. It is as traditional as it gets

13. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

chopped!

Attached Files:

14. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

No chop! You're on the right track for making it a nice looking cab with both headroom and legroom.

15. stirlingmac

stirlingmac

I say go for it, I have been doing a similar thing with my A though mine was a coupe and I only got the cowl and doors so I modified a 28 Dodge rear panel to fit and gave it a 6 inch chop..

Attached Files:

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Bring it on..
    I think it looks cool

17. slagter

slagter

I bought something similar, it belonged to a guy who made fences, it ran till 10 years ago. Its chopped (4-5 inch i think) and at the moment I am taking it apart. The cab is really short they have taken +/- 4 inches out of the doors which leaves 4.25ft firewall to back, over here (argentina) they made and make pick ups out of everything.

Attached Files:

18. Gigantor

Gigantor

THAT thing is SWEET. That's the sexiest looking A pickup I've ever seen.:eek:

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Simply make some filler panels that match up the curved back of the cab to the straight front of the bed. In fact if you make up your filler panels you could then make a "box" into your back panel just below the top edge of the bed extending back and down to frame level giving yourself a good bit of storgae behind the seat. The fille rpanels conceal the box and you have storage, a dual purpose modification.
    Using parts you have to make something that works is as traditional as apple pie, so cook it up and enjoy it.

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. Build it.

Here's a '31 chivvy I made for a friend using derelict sedan sheetmetal. Now we're deciding what bed to use. Probably will build bed from scratch.

1 Gerald's 31 chevy pickup.jpg

1 S4022752.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  21. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

well I have always wanted to do that to a model A. and its not that hard to find some good body parts and build a little pikup. Now that i,ve seen them in the pix here I really think its better looking than the originals, and it is retro for whatever thats worth.

22. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Here in Denmark there are a lot of cut down sedans, and some sedans with a rear door.
    After WWII there was a great demand for trucks and cars.
    It was a whole industry "refitting" sadans.
    When new pick - ups, where build by coachbuilders using a chassi and firewall.
    So your build would fit right in and look "Correct"

Keep it as is, if you shorten it you´ll regret it later, I did :(
    Took this:
    [​IMG]

Made this:
    [​IMG]

Not chopped, only channeled 4"
    Go for it!!

Nielsk

23. SholleysTrimShop

SholleysTrimShop

I like the look of the curve on the bottom of the back of the cab as long as the bed curves to match but I also think with the curve it goes toward a more modern look than traditional, guess it depends what your going for, plus a chop might make it look a little squashed with the extra length, just my opinion.

24. TSEDAN

TSEDAN
    from Fresno,Ca

25. JoJo O.

JoJo O.

As long as you make the front of the bed match the curve of the back of the cab you should be set!

Not quite sure how it would look w/out a bed on it??

26. po'boy

po'boy

27. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Run a bed..........or run it without and then down the road if you want to change the look of it, put one on it. Personally, I vote bed.

The back of the cab is certainly thick, everything that's been converted during rationing, looks like it's been thinned. Right now, it reminds me of an Amish buggy.

Give the man who brought up petrol rations going to trucks first a gold star! Whoot! Trucks were considered farm/industrial equipment and let's face it, a country and it's army needs food! Also, people were MUCH smaller then, then now. Shorter, thinner.....and during the depression, people got MUCH smaller, due to poverty. Poor people don't eat like they should. =O)

If you have any questions about getting proportions right, hit up my brother ScooterMcRad. His 4 door to 2 door is poetry in metal.

28. EdG.

EdG.

I like it, but you are the one you have to 'please'.
    I bought a stock 30 truck and spent a good deal time sitting in a lawn chair just looking at it. Then I mocked up the seating in it, sat in it, and decided it was just too cramped inside for me so I made changes to it. Mine now has 4 1/2" longer doors and I added another 4 1/2" to the cab behind the doors. I did lots of other work, but most important I'm doing it the way I want it. Pictures at http://rides.webshots.com/album/548884851uDXxBC?start=48

Anyway, they all look 'COOL' when you see them going down the road.
    Do it the way YOU want it and the way you like it, and you'll be proud.

29. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

i would run with it

30. TSEDAN

TSEDAN
    from Fresno,Ca

My cab is on my public profile. Still working out the picture bugs.