Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moving to TEXAS in July....hambers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chuckIII, Jan 28, 2010.

1. fuel

fuel

Well he's married now, so I'm sure he will vehemently deny anything from his past life! At least if he's smart he will.

No, it's okay, just be careful of what neighborhood you choose. Talk to some of the other officers there about where are the best areas. It's not a all a total ghetto but theft is pretty common. Always lock your car/truck and forget about a high dollar car stereo system and/or 20" rims for a while. With both of ya'lls income ya''ll can get a nice apartment in a nice area and not really have to worry about it.

I'm a country boy that has had to live in a few cities (and never in the best areas either) so I'm kinda distrustful. Others may love the town. I never cared for it.

I can put you in touch with a good realtor (like there is such a thing. LOL.). This guy is pretty good and Temple/Killeen is his area.

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

2. Herdez

Herdez

You forgot to mention used car lots and gun shops. lol!

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There is a rod shop in Coppera Cove near the Catholic Church on the main st, highway to Lampasas. Lampasas seems to be a nice little town not too far to commute to Ft. Hood depending on where on the base you are assigned.

4. dgc15

dgc15

I live in Gatesville and love it. Can't stand Killeen. I have a 49 Ford Truck and am starting on a 51 Chevy car. Give me a shout when you come down.

5. foghorn62

foghorn62

About 20 miles south east of Kileen on hwy 95 in Holland TX is a great little old fashoned 1/4 mile drag strip called Little River Drag Way. They have IHRA sanctioned events as well as lots of local racing just about every Friday starting in February, and full weekend schedules starting in March. In October, The Kontinentals host Day of the Drags. Well worth the trip. The even offer a discount for service men.

6. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Is Dean Smith and his white 33 still in Gatesville?

7. Like foghorn62 said, you've got to go to Little River Dragway. It as as old timey as you're going to find anywhere. Go there on the weekend, barbecue in the shade trees on the spectator side, relax and enjoy the breeze (and shade) in the bleachers there and watch mostly home built cars race. Day of the Drags is one of the best nostalgia races anywhere and it seems to be a little bigger each year. Use the search function and check out this website for photos of that event. Oh yeah, get used to people asking you "hot enuf fer ya?" Welcome to Texas.

8. I moved here 30 yrs agoand would not live anywhere else. Texas is to much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

9. 51fleetline

51fleetline

10. dgc15

dgc15

My shop is next door to his property. Yes he still has the White coupe.

11. oz kustoms

oz kustoms

im thinking of moving to texas as well,i like my guns,and ammo

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was stationed at Fort Hood 41 years ago when I met my wife, almost exactly 41 years ago by the way.

Killen is 99.9 percent just the way Fuel described it. I can't remember what the other .1 percent was but it probably wasn't good.

Gatesville is about 15 minutes out the back way going North from the main post but as he said is a lot better area in most respects.

My wife grew up in McGregor which is half way between Gatesville and Waco and about 45 minutes from the Main part of Fort Hood. that might be a bit far to commute though but it's a good town with good schools.

Belton is about 20 minutes East and although more expensive rent wise it does have a 4 year collage/university (met my wife there) and is a pretty nice town town wise.

The best part of being at Fort Hood is what it is close to. Austin, and plenty of other interesting places that are less than a couple of hours away. San Antonio and Dallas/Fort Worth areas are both easy three or four hour drives one way up or down I 35 and there are good two lane roads both ways if you want to two lane it.

13. Terry

Terry

Just watch out for balding muslims acting strange and packing heat

14. fuel

fuel

Man, I knew I was forgetting something! Oh yeah, and Army Surplus Stores. Like anybody in that town wants to see olive drab or desert camo ever again. LOL.

15. fuel

fuel

I actually grew up in Flat, Texas. Some of you Army guys will know where that is. We used to drive East Range Road going to Killeen all the time. That was way back before 9-11, though. You used to could go 4 wheeling and all kinds of stuff in the Camp back in the day as long as you checked in and there were no manuevers going on in that area. I used to swim with my friends on Henson Creek in the Army Camp. You just had to watch for unexploded rounds that washed down the creek. LOL. Good Luck doing that now.

Flat is where all the bullet pickers lived and some of the cattle rustlers lived. Kind of like our Texas version of moonshiners I guess. These guys would go into the Army Camp and pick up brass after manuevers and haul it out and sell it for scrap. Illegally, of course. I remember playing in our front yard one time and watching MPs in a jeep trying to catch a bullet picker on a dirt bike. LOL. Alot has changed since then.

16. Nomadness

Nomadness

I lived in Texas long ago, it's a great place. At the top of my list when I move from here. You should be happy there.

17. Nomadness

Nomadness

Amen :D

18. choptop37

choptop37

this is great im thinking about moving there very seriously, was looking at the lampasses / north austin area . like the small town stuff, just need to find a decent job wrenchin/ weldin/ buildin / or doin bikes, whatever looks like i wwont be lookin around killeen any more .where else wouldnt you guys go?... i guess thats easier than sayin where would you go!

19. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

RHD...if you realy wan't out of TEXAS that bad i'll buy you a oneway ticket too HELL...POP.

20. chuckIII

chuckIII

I dont trust anyone either and I ve lived in a few rough places myself...so we will just have to see...if you can get me that number that would be cool

21. chuckIII

chuckIII

I guess we are probably gonna look at belton area...just wondering if they are hotrodder friendly? Anyone know?

22. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

just moved here last feb. have made some REALLY good friends here off the hamb in the Houston area...

and... WTF? are you moving here in JULY???? realize it will be surface of the sun hot here then.....

23. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

I'm trying to get out of texas,i been here too long and need a change.nothing wrong with texas,just tired of beeing in one spot for so many years.here in corpus christi there is not enough traditional cars just street rods.

24. chuckIII

chuckIII

I m getting there when the Army tells me too...lol.. :D

25. chuckIII

chuckIII

All right I am finally settled in to Killeen, where are all the hambers at? I m looking for people to hang with and if anyone has any extra garage space to work on hotrods that would be nice ;) (its been 2 wks and the neighbors are already complaining about my stuff lol) Any hambers around here hit me up, thanks everyone......

26. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Welcome to Texas!

Bart