Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do with this F-1 body and frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigblockdude402, Jan 27, 2010.

1. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

Anybody got any ideas?

Through trading around, I've ended up with a '52 F-1 body and an F-1 frame. I've got a '52 that I'm working on now, I'm turning it into a shop/barn truck ... you can see it in my profile.

I live on a farm, and was thinking about putting the body on a ton frame of some sorts, preferably four wheel drive. Possibly a diesel -- that'd be tough but cool. I've been following that Mack truck build, and that's cool!! Everybody can go out and buy a new truck to haul with, but not everybody can put one together.

Question 1 ... What would you do?

Question 2 ... Will the front wheels of a ton truck be wider than the front fenders of an F-1? That'd be a turn-off. I'll probably put a steel or aluminum flat bed on it, sot the rear dosn't bother me.

Thoughts are appreciated.

2. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

The side to side axle width on pre-'73 Fords are within 1", '73 and after are quite a bit wider and the wheels will stick out very noticable.

On the '48-52 trucks the width of the front fenders were the same except when you got to the F-7 and F-8. F-1s have smaller wheel openings than the F-2, up to F-6, which have the same front fenders.

3. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

Thanks for your input. Still contemplating my options.

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Hope this doesn't rain on your parade, but if you aren't looking to build a period custom or lakes push truck out of it, you are on the wrong site. You can get all the 4x4 frame swap and diesel info you want on forums dedicated to those topics. You'll probably get better info somewhere else.

I, for one, have grown tired of all the frame swap threads around here. It's not what the HAMB was intended to promote. If you want help bringing new life to the original truck, step right up. Otherwise...

5. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

You'll find a lot friendlier crown over at the FTE site, they don't like frame swaps over there either but they're a bit more friendlier with their replies. The "experts" over there used to give a lot of heat whenever some one posted about a frame swap but lately the posts hardly get an answer.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/

Search the site for previous posts about the subject. Use Google to search the site because you won't be able to use their search feature unless you have 25 or more posts. Their search feature doesn't work all that good anyways.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/845102-forum-search-alternative.html

6. 8flat

8flat

I agree with these guys.... converting an F1 to a newer 4WD frame doesn't have much to do with a traditional hot rod and custom site like the HAMB.

7. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

This my help you. The outside edge of the 1948-51 1/2 tons is 71 inches. The stock center line of the front wheels is 63.8 inches.

I know that the 1957-72 F100 rear will fit under the back.

8. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

Thanks to those who've offered the positive information.

I apologize for stepping on the "traditional" toes. I'm all about traditional, but I thought the people at the HAMB were good enough people to appreciate and help someone with a different idea. I will from here on out stick to reading the threads and posting only strictly traditional styled threads. I will also keep my eye out for those who just sit around their computer waiting on somebody to slip up and get a little off topic so they can run with it and make the thread-starter look stupid while placing themselves on a pedistal. My apologies to the perfect traditionalist.

Moderator: you may close this untraditional thread now, please.