Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP - Air Suspension Guys -air line repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fms427, Jan 29, 2010.

1. fms427

fms427

So, I was welding bear claw door latches onto the shoebox, and, of course, a piece of weld splatter fell onto the plastic air lines - putting a pinhole in one and about halfway thru another.:mad::mad:

Other than replacing the whole line, or installing a union, anybody know a PERMANENT fix, like epoxy, glue, etc.?? THanks !! Stan

2. 59 brook

59 brook

nothing will work but a coupling don't kid yourself with epoxy

3. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

Napa sells dot air line, but its expensive!
    If you need to get it going in a hurry and don't have any more fittings/line go to lowes and get what you need to hard-line it with soft copper tubing and flared fittings. If you slip a piece of hose over the line and clamp it down with hose clamps, don't drive it anywhere except in your driveway.

4. kraka138

kraka138

you could wrap it with duct tape.......:rolleyes:

5. Go buy a couple unions and fix it that way or replace the line. That would be the correct fix that will last.

6. aldixie

aldixie

Use a union. Nothing else will hold the preasure, I'm speaking from experience, I had the same thing happen to me.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If the hole is small, a straight union cut into the line at the damaged spot will probably work. If not, use two straight unions to add a short piece of new line where the damage is located. Gary

8. cretin

cretin

Why don't you want to use a union? They are easy enough to install and the best option short of replacing the line.

9. farmer12

farmer12

Use a union, this will work. Otherwise replace the line. Good Luck

10. Special Ed

Special Ed

This is not something to attempt the cheesy way out with. Fix it right.

11. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why would you want to try fixing it any other way that actually fixing it?

C'mon dude...

If you stripped your oil pan drain would you stuff a cork in it and call it "fixed"?

Peoples safety is in your hands.. Fix it the right way.

12. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Yep, do it right the first time. I wouldn't risk it, doesn't even matter which airline it is. Being stranded SUCKS.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A union to repair the line should be available at any hardware store or Lowes or Home Depot for under five bucks. Enough tubing and fittings to replace that run shouldn't cost but a few bucks. I checked Summit and you can get enough to redo the whole car for a pretty reasonable price. http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=air line tubing&dds=1
    It's too easy to fix it right without looking for some half baked fix that may or may not work.
    I don't have air suspension and there is a 99.99 chance I never will but if I did, I'd make sure that I had enough spare tubing to replace the longest run in the car, unions to splice the tubing and nuts, sleeves and ferrules to replace at least two ends on any line on the car any time. Plus the tools to make the repair. The whole bag of stuff would be under 20 bucks and save a guys ass if a line or fitting crapped out on the road.

14. greendream

greendream

I would suggest just replacing the whole line.

15. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

me too

16. c1run1

c1run1
    from TRNJ

Black pvc air line from a Large truck shop ( Mack Petterbuilt ect ) or parts / dealer is cheap and local on the shelf .