Register now to get rid of these ads!

When is it too early to get excited about Bonneville?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Mac, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Man, I can't wait! Already got a room, dad got his '55 done, my '54 is going to be drivable, but not done. Nothing more exiting to me than my dad, my son and me all heading to the salt in a couple of cool hot rods. I CAN'T WAIT!

I think I've figured something out- it's not salt, it's crack. That's why it's SO ADDICTING!

2. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

It's never too early.

3. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Always exciting

4. Patrick46

Patrick46

Here we go!!!!...........

[​IMG]

5. I look forward to finally getting out there. I even have family out there.. They've been there for a while! But now I have an excuse.

6. firingorder1

firingorder1

191 days, 9 hours and 35 minutes to SpeedWeek!!!!

[​IMG][/IMG]

7. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Man, I can't wait it'll be my first! Gotta get my ass in gear and get the sedan done!

8. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

What weekend is speedweek fall on,,, Is that the best weekend to go never been..

9. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Giddy-up!!!

Attached Files:

10. Right now I get excited about anyplace where its warm!!
    [​IMG]

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I got excited about Bonneville when I first saw it in a little magazine in '55. Was still excited in '66 when I first went. Getting excited about 2010 now.

Attached Files:

12. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

my dad and i are building two car to drive out to bonneville 2010. i cant be any more excited. 2008 was my fisrt year and o hope i can go every year. there is something strange that happens as soon as you drive on that salt. the history,cars, the smell of the salt . awsome

13. 32csr

32csr
    from cincinnati

I'm right there with ya' Drew......plan to have my 32 panel for the trip for sure....as for how early you get excited?? SHit, I still haven't quit talking about it since we left the salt in 2008! Bring on August!

14. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Hoping to be at Bonneville this year for the first time with fellow HAMB'r Krylon32. I'm already counting the days. Gary

15. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

My kind of countdown

16. Never too early. I get excited about the next one of my favorite events on the way home from the current one.

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great pic. Warm?You want warm? Its 2am and 86*................

18. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

simple answer is..... never! Gettin my copy of the worlds fastest indian to help tide me over!

19. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i have a little jar or salt from 2008. that seams to ease the pain alittle. 32csr cant wait to see the panel. will it be delivering beer to the pool ????????

20. 32csr

32csr
    from cincinnati

You commit to be at the pool.......The Panel commits to delivery the brew!!:D

21. saltfevr

saltfevr

Tony:

SW 2010 begins Sat. Aug 14-Fri Aug 20, 2010 or go here:
    http://www.scta-bni.org
    cya on the salt!
    don't forget free, salt talks BBQ Sun Aug 15, at "bend in the road"

22. gotham

gotham

every year I want to go and haven't been yet. do people fly in to SLC, rent cars, drive, rent hotel rooms?

23. That's about the only option I know of if you're flying in. Wendover has an airport, but as far as I know, there aren't any flights going in and out of there that we can use. You want to stay in Wendover though. SLC is too far away. Of course, you could drive. That's on my list of "things to do" before I cash in my chips!! Got to get the 40 on the salt!!:)

24. wilcox garage

wilcox garage

NEVER too early, by the time I get home and get the car cleaned I want to go back. I think they call it salt fever and I got it.

25. firingorder1

firingorder1

Yeah! You only have 359 days between SpeedWeeks so how do you have time to lose the excitement?

26. mike hamel

mike hamel

I wouldnt get too excited about Bonneville yet guys!! This is a picture my Dad sent me on the way back from picking up a 34 ford roadster. You should call it lake Bonneville. Theres a few inches of water from end to end there right now.

Attached Files:

27. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

That's a good thing. I'd be worried if there wasn't any standing water.

"The Bonneville Salt Flats and the Great Salt Lake are remnants of ancient Lake Bonneville. Wind and water combine to create the flat surface of salt. Each winter, a shallow layer of standing water floods the surface of the salt flats. During spring and summer, the water slowly evaporates while winds smooth the surface into a vast, nearly perfect flat plain."

28. I dug out some of last years salt from under the floor mat of my truck just so I could rub it betwixt my fingers and moan! See youall on the Salt in '10

29. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Don't panic. That's what happens when you put 2+ feet of snow on a bed of salt.

30. beanco

beanco

Think about it everyday. This is my screen saver. Driving onto the salt for the first time in 2009. going back next year for sure.

Attached Files: