Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Cool!
    :cool:

2. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Great to see a follow up photo

[​IMG]

3. Dog427435

Dog427435

Sorry - wrong thread!!:confused:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  4. Looks like Dog is an old street racer.
    " Stock ? Sure it is .Never had the valve covers off, honest to god"

Please, Dog...

5. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

A few more of the fuzzy stills of some well-know cars, that I 'pulled' from my old 8mm movie footage. Alas, you have to wonder what other old-forgotten treasures still languish tucked-away in ancient cardboard boxes.

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

6. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

What is the current condition of the In-Bomber? Is the "Tension" car still around? I read about a year ago that one of these cars was laying in decay somewhere in southwest Iowa or eastern Nebraska.

Does anyone have any good pictures of the In-Bomber?

It would be nice to see Good-In-Tension restored in as raced condition. There are already enough factory restored 57s to look at.

7. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

MCINK, is it possible to ask your freind John if he has a picture of a car called "Yellow Fever"? I believe it was a 57 Chevy and probably a gasser as I remember the front end being nose high. The first time I went to Thunder Valley was in about 69 at the age of seven and this was the car that stuck out to me that day! Thanks!

8. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Check thru these last few pages and you'll see the in-bomber,you will be impressed looks dam good to me!
    :cool:

9. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

Tony
    I got beat by Roy Christian at the 1965 Spring Nations. I think a 62-63 dodge or
    Plymouth In E or F auto. I was driving Russ Matthews new 1965 Buick Special
    401 convertable. I was suppose to drive the 1960 Buick G/SA but the new car
    wasn't fast enought 14:00 to 14:05. So russ went back to old car

I went to the last 4 cars Roy went on to win the class! 13:80 or so.

old-old timer

10. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

The Blue SD ex-M/T Pontiac was on the east coast a long time ago as it belonged to a Mike Miatico who also owned Capitol Raceway in Crofton, Md. I used to see it at the track every week end as it was street driven and Mike would make a couple of passes with it before the regular program started every Saturday afternoon. He also owned a baby blue Catalina station wagon that he raced in the old D/SA class at Aqusco on Sundays with a 389 SD combo like the Ventura had in it. I remember 13,30's for the Ventura, and 13.60,s for the wagon. The wagon would out run many GTO,s during time trials to thier dismay. Both were super clean and street driven to the track around 1964-65. Mike was a member of the "Indian Tribe" back in the day with Sam Samuels, Joe Perzan, Bob Maxey, Johnny Walker, Pop Kennedy, and many more. I remember Mike telling me he had 4.88's in the wagon and it sounded like it when you drove up next to him on the way to the track. As I remember the Plymouth was owned and driven by RAY Christian who was a torqueflite transmission guy. He later bought the RamChargers 63 Dodge and raced it in AA/SA in the mid 60's.

11. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

We towed down to Capitol Dragway once for a Jr Stock race. We had our Sedan Delivery and I recall seeing many of the Pontiacs mentioned. There were at least 3 wagons. a '61 or '62 and a couple '60's. Frank Canaday, Joe Perzan and Bob Maxey. We raced Perzan twice as they made us rerun him ( not sure what that was about) We won...lost eventually to the Wheatley '57 wagon that was previously Pete Prestons if memory serves me right. There was also at least one GTO there and running well. I never saw so many good running Pontiacs at one track. I was very fond of those cars as I had one myself......I had a '58 and raced it and also later a '67 GTO......I loved those old Indians......

12. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Pontiac GTO's were very popular Stockers thru the mid to late 60's

[​IMG]

13. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I like your car's color combo, Steve. It looks like a purple-ish blue and copper. Am I close?

Pete

14. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

And very popular street machines too!

Pete

15. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

B/SA '67 GTO at Indy

[​IMG]

16. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks Pete, you're pretty close ...I picked out two colors I liked from mid-60 Cadillac color chips and shot it (in my driveway!) with Ditzler lacquer and then hand-rubbed it -- no clear. I 'think' the name of the very-vibrant medium blue was 'Pelham Blue' and I recall the gold was appropriately-named 'Aztec Gold.' By the way the Blue was the same color that I used for my (265/3-sp) '35 Chev sedan that I built and owned 60-65.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

The blue 1961 Pontiac bubble top was not a M/T car it was Lloyd and Carol personal car. The other Pontiacs that Lloyd was associated with were M/T Cars. The 61 Pontiac was all most always driven to The Pomona Drags of the early sixties.

18. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I stand corrected....Thanks. Now I remember Lloyd went to work for M/T the following year on the 421 Tempist A/FX car. Im Old....forgive me....lol. The Blue Ventura Mike Miatico had here on the east coast was the Carol and Llyod Cox car though. I thought that car was one of the nicest cars I had ever seen.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  19. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Today I found some negative of photos taken of the displaced Stockers in the 1972 season. Here are a few Div. 1 cars in Super Stock trim. Anybody know who owned the Chevelle wagon or the Plymouth Convertible?

Attached Files:

20. RPOVette

RPOVette
    from Bolton, CT

Wagon is Joe Santangelo and Mark Yacavone.

21. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I think the Plymouth Convertible was Al Corda's SS/FA.

22. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

That is correct. Thanks for posting.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

24. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

25. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

26. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

27. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

28. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Terry,

I forgot the Corda used to live around here before moving west. You may be correct.

29. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Im pretty sure that is his old Max Wedge rag top before he had his name lettered on the sides. Same class, same color, with a black top. It was a 415 HP combo and he ran a lot at Maple Grove.

30. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

No Matter how you slice it that car is Fucking COOL !! Good Job Eracer.