Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torque Fest May 2010 - mark your calenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, Sep 4, 2009.

1. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I don't know yet if I'm bringing my Galaxie to enter(10mpg) or my honda just for the transportation (30mpg), but as of right now I plan on coming up!

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I will deny knowing you if you show up in a rice-burner

3. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

hey - travisfromkansas
    just know that you will have to park about 100 years further away from the site!

all the daily drivers have to park down the way - either way you get here is cool with me man......
    I think you will have a good time just walking around - then when you see all the fun people are having - you will say OH man - I shoulda brought my ride to take out on the track...........

and bobwop acts like he doesnt know me already - so dont let that disturb ya!
    ha

4. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Well that seals it, I'm going to have to save up some money after flying to Viva Las Vegas and drive the Galaxie up, man I hope swapping to a 4bbl from the factory 2 will gain me a couple mpg while cruising :)

5. John, send me the Facebook stuff!

6. Will you need any help on friday? I can probably get off work that day and have a small pickup and trailer I could bring over if you have stuff to move.

Brad

7. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

not sure if we are allowed to post facebook links on the HAMB or not......
    if not - the moderator can pull this

anyway -
    I would love for all of ya'll in the community to let people you know via facebook about the Torque Fest

there is a link on the page - click on events and you will see
    Vintage Torque Fest

there are 2 of them - one placed up there by The AfterDarks (the band that will play the pre party on Friday night)
    If you could get all your compadres on F.B. to spread the word I would appreciate it.

I am in charge of the 2nd on there so I am hoping to get people to respond to that one.

THANKS

http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=name&id=525390559

8. mattybear

mattybear

hey did you ever get more flyers to post up, I didn't get any in the mail yet

9. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

hey mattybear - I just sent ya a PM.
    Anyone else that needs promo material - just let me know!

Word of mouth is always the best way to get people excited about an event.......and that is what we are relying on for this show.

I had a LOT of people at the show this past weekend comment about the "cold" weather that the show is going to have to face...............??????????

First off - if you are that worried about driving your car in "cold" weather - perhaps you should not come.

Second - this is in April/May - that is spring folks.........

I just went back and looked at the weather from last year. Here it is for the week:

<TABLE class="dataTable tm10" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=b style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff" colSpan=5>Temperature:</TD></TR><TR><TD class=indent>Max Temperature</TD><TD>72 °F </TD><TD>63 °F </TD><TD colSpan=2>58 °F </TD></TR><TR><TD class=indent>Mean Temperature</TD><TD>61 °F </TD><TD>54 °F </TD><TD colSpan=2>50 °F </TD></TR><TR><TD class=indent>Min Temperature</TD><TD>52 °F </TD><TD>44 °F </TD><TD colSpan=2>37 °F </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

yeah - that is pretty cold - wear your gloves and thermal underwear.

When people commented on the supposedly cold weather that will be at the show, I kept on commenting that obviously they would not want to participate in the Bare Bones Polar Bear Cruise on Super Bowl Sunday morning..................

Jackets will be needed - but I dont think there will be ice on the ground - like at the Hunnert Car Pile Up this past year!

OK

Hopefully I have helped to educate the masses about the cold weather at that time................

10. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

VERY SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!

DicE Magazine
    will help sponsor the Motor Psycho Round Up at Torqe Fest!

Pre 75 Motor Psycho Round Up

Independent bikes welcome! Choppers, bobbers, customs are the bikes featured in the DicE sponsored area of the indoor part of Torque Fest.
    Since the motorcycles are not able to go out on the dirt track like the hot rods, the entry fee for the Motor Psycho Round Up is $10 instead of the normal
    $20 for the cars. If you want to save $5 - just park your bike outside and pay $5 to come and see the spectacle that will be Vintage Torque Fest.

DicE magazine will be sending out Maria and Rose all the way from London, England! So dont be afraid to stop by and check out the magazine and the merch available.
    Perhaps you could flirt with some foreign girls while you are there. Tell all your friends back home that there is nothing like those Brit-girls.

The Motor Psycho Round Up will take place in the back of the ballroom and will be located by the load in door. This way the bikes will be able to come and go
    much easier throughout the day. Bring out your Norton, Triumph, vintage Harley or Indian, or BSA. Yes, custom Jap bikes are welcome. As long as the bikes
    will be something that looks like it would be in Choppers magazine circa 1969 or DicE magazine.

Occ Bikes, touring bikes, and fat boys are welcome - but will have special parking outside.

11. It wont be cold, there will be to much going on to get cold!

12. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Hey John, I am a former Infantry Marine so count me in for the Goon squad. Just so you know I havent received any fliers or bill sheets as of yet for the Peoria area.
    Derrek

13. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

So that's why you're so mean....

14. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

I know where you live Glenn. Well not exactly the house, but I will recon the area and close with and destro oooops there goes that damn Jarhead in me again.lol. Better I put the genie back in the bottle and cage up the dogs of war. N aah, I am a nice guy now just not as lean,not as mean, but still a Marine. C ya soon Bro.

15. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Uh oh...I've unleashed the inner beast. I do hope you know I was just kiddin' ya. Yep, been too long. Are you heading to Fairfield any time soon? Would love to see ya.

16. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

I am bringing down a full blown custom 1963 Tbird for Famous Amos all white tuck n roll interior the first of March. I will give you a holler when that day is closer.

17. TOWMAN

TOWMAN

HEY this sounds like a lot of fun! im planning (tryin) to get my hot rod done that im building right now and me and a bunch of buddys plan on havin a convoy of 3 or 4 rods comin 2 the event!

18. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

man this is gonna be great...

19. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Hey I hope you guys build some models and bring them for the display/contest. If not, at least get your kid to build one and bring it.

20. Hey John I talked to the wife last night and it looks like me might end up camping at the grounds there. Is there any electric there? What about food venders for the weekend?

21. LITTLE CAR

LITTLE CAR

us too...!!

22. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Yes - there are sites on the campground
    please call the speedway at
    563-744-3620

I am not sure how many spots they have WITH electricity. I know it is limited.

There are about 200 spots without electric.......

As for the inspectors - yes - we definitely need those people to help us out on that front fer sure.......

I had a guy at the Milwaukee World of Wheels complain to me about the cars that were being let in to another show........
    I asked him - how many hours did you volunteer to be on the gate at that show?

He said none...............I said - well - if you are that worried about who gets in and who doesn't you should be on the gate doing inspections.

SO - that being said - I hope that everyone will be able to put in some time helping us out. Inspectors will have to be able to politely tell people why they are not allowed in and politely tell people that there is special parking right in front of the ballroom for non qualifying vehicles.

I have had a lot of questions the past week on what will be allowed in and I will be updating the website very soon with the new info.

Uniquecoaches - if you want to show the car inside with the other kustoms - please let me know via email - [email protected]

I will explain in private email about load in and set up for indoor kustoms for the ballroom.
    We already have about 20 vehicles in the ballroom and want to be sure that the people that want to be inside - get to be inside.

So let me know!

Stick Shift - perhaps you should start a thread specifically on the model show?
    Or perhaps post on some of the other sites/forums telling people the details on the model show.

Towman - even if you cant bring up all the hot rods - come on up in the daily driver and load all the guys in and come and check out the show........when you see all the fun everyone else is having you will be sure to make 2011 fer sure.

Also - if anyone needs promo material to help get the word out about the show - please email me.

23. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

wanted to let everyone know that Scott Billish - who owns the Tangerine Scream comfirmed that he will be a part of the indoor custom/show rod exhibition.

As you all may or may not know the 1933 Ford pick up was so special that it was invited to the 2008 Detroit's Eyes On Design at the Edsel Ford Estate.

Hot Rod Chassis and Cycle really knocked it outta the park when they got that one up and running!

Looking forward to hearing that one roll in.........

Remember that space is limited in the indoor area and we will run out of space before the show takes place so if you wish to be alongside the Roswell Rod, Jack Walkers Hirohata Merc, Blue Danube, Reverend Horton Heats Big Blue Car and possibly some other historic names that MAY be coming to the show................
    let me know!

[​IMG]

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

will you have old hotrod movie DVD's for sale at this show? I am looking for a particular movie...it all starts when this guy comes to town and wrecks his car, then pulls the hemi and puts it in some old gray car. That gray car has a wierd name...Bill? No, William? I don't know.

so do you know the movie? Will you have copies of sale? Well willya?

25. I'll give you the blower if you beat the Munz....

26. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

oh bobwop - you are such a REBEL ON THE ROAD

get it.........

that is the movie -

Rebel on the Road

harrr harrrrrrr ha hahhhhhaaaaaaaaa

ok

enough hilarity

indeed we will have our normal booth set up selling all the hot rod dvds, stickers, magnets, posters, and Rat Fink Merch!

so come on out and buy a DVD from us instead of the beer you were thinking of purchasing.........

27. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

VERY special announcement..............

After much begging and pleading..........

ASPHALT ANGEL TO BE SHOWN AT VINTAGE TORQUE FEST

Torque Fest has arranged for an actual Big Daddy Roth vehicle to be present at the show.

The Asphalt Angel will be one of the big highlights of the show. This Roth built trike has not been on the show circuit in years and we are very honored to have ANY Roth items in the show.

The story with this one is that Big Daddy built it in the mid 80s and drove it from CA to MN.....only to be denied entry at Back to the 50s!!!!
    They seemed to think that the vehicle did not meet the entry requirements! Too Much!!!!!!!! But that is a great story huh?

As you may or may not know - I am one of the licensed distributors for the Roth estate and we are going to be selling all the Big Daddy Roth merchandise at the show as well.

I am still uncertain about giving out the name of the owner, since he seems to be a bit hesitant about people knowing who he is..........
    but he thinks he will stick around and field questions about Asphalt Angel. If he does not - we are just happy to be able to see it up close and personal.

Thanks again to all who continue to support the show and I hope that everyone has a FUN time and will spread the word about the event coming May 1.

on a side note - if anyone has the Art of Big Daddy Roth book - (I can not find mine!) Page 52 is needed!!! I need a scan of that image of Big Daddy on the Asphalt Angel to place in the site.

If anyone has any pix of the Asphalt Angel with the BLACK paint job - please email me at [email protected] or [email protected]

28. Jaker

Jaker

29. Hey John, Every time I read this thread, something new and totally badass has been added! Amazing, you will be the most popular person in Iowa when this deal is over.

If we sign up to volunteer, should we still fill out the preregistration form?

Brad

30. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

If you have already volunteered then no need to pre register for car entry - just be sure you email [email protected] about the volunteer schedule - we will be doing that about 1 month before the show - but the early volunteers are gonna be treated special cause they were "on board" early on............and for that - I THANK YOU!

When you email about volunteering please let us know if you are planning on being at the show on Friday or Saturday and if you plan on being there Friday if you are gonna camp out or stay in hotel. Hopefully getting the EARLY birds to come out wont be a problem. That is when we will be needing a lot of help. From 6am to 9 am - those are important times fer sure.