Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for Concours quality funny car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Brown-O-, Jan 28, 2010.

1. El Brown-O-

El Brown-O-

I have a friend on the acquisition committee for the Keeneland Concours de Elegance here in Lexington, KY. He's been assigned to locate cars for a race car class. He's especially interested in finding an old funny car or perhaps an FX type pre-funny car.

There is also interest in finding a Bonneville streamliner.

Anyone with leads to concours quality old race cars is welcome to contact me with a reply here. With that contact, we can take our discussion off forum and work out the details.

TIA

2. ronnie tidwell

ronnie tidwell
    from odessa tx

look at racing junk.com, under drag race, funny car, a few 60's 70's, and under nostiliga, a few there also

3. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

I would start with Brent Hajek in Ames Oklahoma. Big Ford collector and last time I was at his place had some Gas Rhonda stuff and one Jungle Jim car. Also had some Tasca cars, but think they were more AFX types.

4. El Brown-O-

El Brown-O-

Thanks, I'll follow those suggestions.

Anyone else?

5. Contact Tony Thacker at the NHRA Museum

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Actual race cars are seldom "concours quality," whatever that is.

7. Exactly.
    I think what he is looking for is something that isn't raced any more and over restored.

8. Larry T

Larry T

Like the Gate Job?
    Larry T

9. Larry T

Larry T

Not saying that it was ratted out when it was an active racecar, but they're only fresh until you crank it for the first time.
    Did it have any stress cracks in the fiberglass before it was retired? I'll bet it doesn't now.
    Larry T

10. El Brown-O-

El Brown-O-

What I want isn't the determining factor for getting cars actually on the lawn for the show. I'm personally in very close agreement with the sentiments implied in your question and comments, but I'm at the wrong end of the torque wrench in this operation to control the outcome. For the race car class, they have had some of those over restored type like last years winner - a former Sam Posey Challenger. Unfortunately, most legitimate old race cars that aren't racing today are either in scrap yards, barns, the dark end of a few race shops or museums. Barn finds are by definition very difficult to find and then not really suitable for exhibiting in an event such as a concours. We're reaching out to museums to see what we might be able to do. With the growing interest in nostalgia racing, we were hopeful that we might find someone with a living race car who would be interested in presenting it in this years event. Our hope is that the broad range of interest and contacts represented by the readership her makes this a good place to spread the word.

11. Larry T

Larry T

How about contacting Garlits? He's on the right side of the country.
    Larry T

Man, I wish I could spell.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  12. ssaahemifan

ssaahemifan

Lee Smith's 65 AFX Plymouth is one of the nicest , accurately restored race cars I have seen in a long time.

13. Drop into the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green in June..
    Bet you'll find what your looking for.

Rick
    ===========================================

14. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

15. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

The guy you want to speak with is Greg Mosley in Coal City IL. He owns the '69 Chi Town Hustler F/C, the '70 Hawaiin F/C, the Lee Smith AFX car, one of the Little Red Wagons and The Gate Job F/C as well as about 10 other historically significant race cars.I can also assure you that they are all Concours quality.

He will have the Chi Town Hustler and the Hawaiin on display at the Chicago World of Wheels in March if you want to see them in person or talk to him about his other cars.

If you need more info you can PM me. hope this helps!

16. nam_68_69

nam_68_69

well,I have Chuck Etchells old Kendall Oil-Superwinch Funny car Body,The first to break a 4 Second 1/4 ,Call me 352-875-7916

17. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Al Bergler/ Motown Shaker

18. troylee

troylee

Yes 1 more for Al Bergler, That car is purdy. Dont forget the FEDs