Register now to get rid of these ads!

Windshield Rubber Gasket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pirate, Jan 28, 2010.

1. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I am looking for a rubber gasket/seal to go between the body and a 3/16" thick Lexan windshield. Something that has a 3/16" channel the Lexan will slip into with a flat bottom or preferable a flange that will sit nicely around the curved section of the cowl. This is a sports car/track car I am building. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. J.C. Whitney or Softseal.

3. gary mundy

gary mundy
    from Kansas

steele rubber parts

4. check out the rubber in older large van and suv windows as they are flat and rubber mounted. the newer stuff is glued in.

5. skidsteer

skidsteer

Get a catalog from Restoration Specialties. They give dimensions, and have actual size diagrams of the cross section. Also at: restorationspecialties.com

6. dunstan

dunstan

I'm also looking for a 3/16 gasket for a lexan windscreen. Did you ever find a suitable one?

7. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Also check McMaster-Carr on line.

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Have you stopped at you local glass shop to see what they have.

9. dunstan

dunstan

10. tin_indians

tin_indians

Definitely try steelrubber.com
    They have a few pages you can check out profiles of rubber like yours. I'm willing to bet they have what you need.

11. dunstan

dunstan

Having sent them the profile and measurements they said they have nothing that matches, not that would fit 3/16. It seems none of the rubber companies do, from my several days of research.

Instead I'm looking into just bonding the lexan directly to the frame, like modern cars do. Now I just need to figure out how to get a decent frit band on the lexan to protect the urethane from UV.

12. Try Metro Moulded Rubber in Minneapolis.

13. dunstan

dunstan

Some good options there, thanks! I'll give them a call in the morning and see what the specs are.

(The problem, if it's not clear, is that safe 3/16" thick auto windshields are something of a modern invention, where as rubber gaskets are old school. It seems as though there's little, or no cross over.)

14. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

15. Why not wrap the perimeter of your glass in a setting tape,to bring the thickness from 3/16" to 1/4" .After its installed , just trim off the excess...Setting tapes are available in lots of thicknesses & widths..You might want to glue it to the glass before trying to seat it in the w/strip...
    Here's a link with some examples of glass setting tapes
    http://www.glasswarepro.com/key/auto-glass-setting-tape

16. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Steele rubber has profiles that fit almost everything check them out.

Pat

17. dunstan

dunstan

Unfortunately neither Metro nor Steele Rubber have anything suitable that fits 3/16, but the setting tape idea sounds promising, thanks Turbo.

18. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

19. dunstan

dunstan

Ahhhhhhhthankgod. After my 3rd call to http://www.opticarmorwindows.com they finally realized that my order of 3/16" hadn't actually shipped, so they were able to swap it out for a 1/4", thus making the entire problem go away. Now I can just use the regular stock gasket. What a kerfuffle!

Thanks for all the help and advice, though, I really appreciate it.

20. BobsurUncle

BobsurUncle
    from Tracy, Ca.

Go to you a local glass shop. All these gaskets are available from a place in Union City. You probably can't buy from them direct, so hit up a shop. These are all for 3/16-1/4" glass.

Attached Files: