Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Carson Top 49 merc 4dr to 2dr convershion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EXK, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Good news for the coming new year. We are stepping up the pace on this kool carson topped merc project. I do not know about the rest of you here but I have always liked the look of a sleek carson toppped 49-51 merc. This one will not be very wild but still should make a real nice kustom. We plan to add 55 olds headlights and frenched bubble tail lights very soon. Then most likely a 53 Desoto grill with filled & narrowed stock bumpers. We also plan to run 58/59 caddy caps with wide whites on it with no rear fender skirts. Not a clue of paint color at this time. Will be posting more pics soon.

Attached Files:

2. Sounds great, can't wait to see more on this one!

3. chopt49

chopt49

I am sure this one will be just as sweet as all the others you guys build. Now give us some more pictures (side shots!)

Keep us posted.

[​IMG]

4. More pic's of the build to bring you guy's up to date. Will post more soon

Attached Files:

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i didn't think i would dig the concept until my friend purchased this one last week..it's gowing on me.

Attached Files:

6. We have started to add the 55 Olds headlights to this 49 Merc. We moved the head light in the fender down and out about 3/4" and extended the top side of the fender 2.25". We only had the 55 Olds light buckets and trim rings to work with so we had to fab up an inner structure to mount the light bucket to that also indexs the trim ring. Once the light bucket & trim ring is mounted we can skin the out side to finish the fender. Next we will be rounding the front side of the hood.

Attached Files:

7. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Looks great as always. Did you use a rod to contour the rear package tray area or did it already flow that smooth? Any tips on welding up the rear doors and what did you do to strengthen the body? Aside from that Happy New Years to you and your family. Keep cranking out the killer rides. It's always fun to see what you come up with next.

8. Nice work! What did you do to the body to reinforce it once you cut off the top? Any pictures of it?

9. First I must say Happy New Years to all.

We had to enlarge the pakage tray area to fit the carson top by making a tube skeleton and skining it over.

Anytime you remove a roof or hard top a Merc you need to reinforce the frame, door jam and back pillar or you will have major door aline issues from body flex. Here is a pic of how we reinforced the frame and door opening on this 49 Merc. What you can not see in the pic is the back door pillar has a 3/16" thick plate that was welded to the side of it when we had it out to move it back. By adding that 3/16" plate to the door pillar elminateing any side to side flex

Attached Files:

10. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Rick,

Every thread you post is a clinic on getting it done. Thanks for the info. I'm looking at doing a 4 to 2 door conversion next year. No problems to streach the doors but I was concerned with body flex. The project may be a little more rigid as it's a unibody design.

11. banditomerc

banditomerc

I realize you use a fiberglass top because it is cheapest way to go,but have you considered building one with a skeleton structure(old school),and upholstering like a "Carson Top" was.

12. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

I hope you don't mind that I copied your pictures, your car looks great. I bought this 50 Ford 4 dr. like it is chop top started. I could not aford a Merc 49-51 but I always wanted a Carson top.

50 cutoff top.JPG

Do you have any pictures of the doors being lengthened? I have a 49 that I bought for parts but I think it could be saved so I don't want to use the doors from this car.

Thanks for sharing your skills.

49ford.JPG

ford-49.JPG

13. Have made more that one the old school way in the past. They are heavier and usally donot come out as sleek as a nice styled glass top.

14. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

any chance you could do a tech on building a glass top?? and the best ways to attach it??

15. I will try but first I will have to retrive my pics from a older computer.

There are alot of ways to mount a carson top. Some use real convertible top latches to a simple bolt & nut thure a flange. I usally make 4 steel tab's 2 front and 2 rear that I attached to the top. I then attach a spring loaded snap latch to the tabs. I also put a stainless steel button head screw through a slotted hole in the tab that threads into the body for added saftey. The latch covers the button head screw so you can not see the screw when the top is on and latched. With the top off I simpley screw the button head screw into the threaded holes on the body so there is no ugly open holes and any chance of losing them. These are not the best pics to show you how but are what I have right now.

Attached Files:

16. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

thanks for the reply...not sure what a spring loaded snap latch is..is it a 2 piece gadgit? is that the one in the left most pic?? if so where would buy one?

scott

17. Sauli

Sauli

Looks like a pretty sturdy frame, now. Did You do something with that drive-shaft passage in the mid-frame brace, or is that how they are from the factory? I mean to allow for the rear end to come up further on the frame(=the car sitting closer to the ground)?
    Would You have a side view of the car w/ the top on?
    Thanks,
    Good luck.

18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Looking great as all your builds do.

I'd also love to see a tutorial/photos of stretching 4 dr. doors into 2 dr. size doors. Looks to be a lot of work.

19. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Thanks for sharring.You guys build the best.

20. Great build!

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm curious how you do the "lofting" (a phrase from boat building) to do the top? I have a '59 T'Bird coupe-cum roadster that I want to chop the (now removable steel) hardtop on, and cant the rear window forward to thin up the way to thick pillar. It's looking like it'd be easier to make a buck and do a 'glass top shaped the way I want, than to deal with the original top. Any advice?

22. Not sure what you are calling Lofting so I can not answer that.

But I have been building myself a 60 bird with plans to a make clear plexiglass bubble top for it some day. I am going to be very bussy though when some day finally comes along.

Attached Files:

23. Finally finished up the 55 olds head lights. Now started on rounding the front hood corners with the lower trunk corners next.

Attached Files:

24. Straight8's&Aces

Straight8's&Aces

Awesome work I always wanted a chopped merc. I have a packard getting a similar treatment 4 to 2 door and a chop I'd like to french the headlights I'm not set one what kind but I'll probably do the typical 54 ford headlights. I like the taillights but I want to change them somehow.

Attached Files:

25. Just finished rounding the hood and truck corners on this 49 merc build. Now its time to mount the 53 Desoto teeth but we need a deacent 52 or 53 Desoto lower grill apron to work with. Anyone have one for sale please let me know.

Thanks, Rick Erickson

Attached Files:

26. SLEDLORD

SLEDLORD
    from OC

This one is looking sick too !!!!!!

Hey will be at the Gnrs sat & sun. I Know you did not finish that rad 53 Oldsmobile in time for the show :( If your going please bring me a couple of your t-shirts in X large. Oh in black white just wont work for me.

27. Here we are installing a new repo 21gal fuel tank orginally desinged to fit a 1960 chevy wagon or camino. These tanks fit up tight aginst the trunk pan with the stock chevy tank straps and have better ground clearnce than the stock fuel tank. The filler neck opening is close to the same location as the stock mercurys tank so you can easily hook it up to the stock gas filler if desired. The only neg is the tank is to wide to fit with the spare tire well so we removed this one and are making a simple plug pannel to fill the hole in the trunk.

Attached Files:

28. joes54woodchevy

joes54woodchevy

Make me 1-2. Looks badass man

29. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but in rounding the edges of the hood, did you mold the grille surround into the fenders?

Meaning, is the front sheet metal of the Merc now one-piece?

And...is that just how it is done, or is that something you chose to do for one reason or another?

Forgive my ignorance, but I had never noticed it before...the fusing of the fenders to the grille surround, not my ignorance (That has been with me for a long while!):D

30. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Rounding the corners is just as it sounds. The hood originally had straight edges on the lower front portion.