Register now to get rid of these ads!

MIG WELDERS: I am looking to purchase a new one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinastirSpeedShop, Jan 27, 2010.

1. mottsrods

mottsrods

If you like the versatility of 110v and 220v, the Millermatic 211 or the now discontinued DVI are excellent. If you look, you might find a DVI reeeaaalllllyyyy cheap, since they aren't made anymore. The DVI is the same as the 211, But instead it's on it's own cart with a bottle stand.

2. troylee

troylee

I have a 180 c also. .023 ez grind on gas for sheet metal. A Snap-On 250 for the big stuff. with the tig pack for sheet metal. I built 10 cars with the 180c . could go a little bigger on the amps. if you intend on welding heavy stuff. If you give it time to cool its fine. But the snap on you can weld all day. But outside your budget.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buy the machine off your list that is sold by the outfit that has the best service and parts department in your area.

Best deals are one thing, tricky little features are another but when it comes down to brass tacks on a welder you need to look at who you are going to take it into for service because sooner or later every mig will need service and parts.

4. Billet

Billet

I just bought the Millermatic 212 and I really like it. It should handle most of your repairs. So far no problems.

5. Noland

Noland

I just personally used a 211 miller and it welded nice in both 110 and 220 I was actually thinking of buying one for a second welder

6. bobscogin

bobscogin

One here, too. Great machine.

Bob

7. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

8. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I have a miller 140 autoset, it welds thin body panels with ease and has enough balls for frame work, just gotta change wire size. I think you'll find that most welders, if you peek inside can be rewired for either 110 or 220.

9. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Miller 211 is a great choice for the price. I've used the shit out of my MM 175 for years without a single issue. FYI, if you buy a dedicated 220v unit people won't bother you to borrow it all the time...:D

10. I have a Miller 211. I don't have 220V at my house yet but on 110V it works great. I think the multi-voltage thing is a real bonus. You've got 220V if you ever need it, and you can also weld 110v in your back yard, a friends house, etc.

11. another thought on the Miller 211...I loved the idea of a duel voltage machine and damn near bought one (in addition to shop work, also have a farm with related welding needs). for the cost of the 211 you can probably get a 180 and 125 Lincoln to give the best of both. a side benifit is that you could load aluminum in one and set up for mild steel in the other (or flux and gas)...buying two units may be quicker and easier than relying on one

12. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

I have a bigger Miller than the others posted,...a 252, and it's easy to use, I like the other Miller machines I have used, so I suggest the Miller brand.

13. Yes that what I was thinking. If I had to take it over somewhere I dont have to worry about 220.

14. dubcee

dubcee

I just bought a 211 to upgrade from my hobart 135 $949.00 at the local weld supply shop, BEST damn thing I have purchased in years. I wish I had done it a lot earlier. If you are thinking about welding aluminum miller has a spool gun that plugs right in for another $190.

15. Pugly

Pugly

Hate to interrupt the thread, but I have a Lincoln 175HD WeldPak and I read a couple of guys saying they added gas to them for a better weld. Where do you find the info on that? And what kind of gas? Argon?

16. Harris

Harris

I got my Lincoln 180 at home depot for around $650 add in the supersized bottle, extra spools etc. and I was out for a little over 1K.

Love it, was using a Lincoln Weld-Pac HD - welding w/gas was such a revelation, I was amazed, only regret was not doing it sooner!

17. I have a bigger Miller than the others posted,...

HooKay...who has a bigger Johnson than others posted?

18. I have a miller 180 MIG and just got a Diversion 165 TIG. Both are more than enough for 98% of this hobby. Just did a header...

Attached Files:

19. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I agree with kdxer99. I have welded with most every brand in an industrial setting and am very happy with the Hobarts. They are Miller made at a cheaper price. Not taking away from the Lincoln's or other brands though. They all have their desirable points.

20. My new Millermatic 211 is the nuts!
    I'm thinking of a plasma cutter next when I can save up enough bones.
    Anyone got suggestions around the $1,000 level?