Register now to get rid of these ads!

89-93 ford 5.0 efi using painless harness-anyone had succes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cole, Jan 27, 2010.

1. cole

cole

does anyone REALLY know there shit on ford efi, that would be kind enough to answer a few questions . thanks in advance- Cole

2. mac762

mac762

Replace EFI with carb, and change cam. Problem solved. As a side benifit it will look better and not be a PITA.

3. Shawn M

Shawn M

I've never used the painless harness, but I worked on many of those engines at the dealer during that era. List your questions and I'll try to help you out.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I've got access at work to Mitchell if you need a hand on the stock end of things. Ford 5.0 efi is a pretty basic, decent setup.

5. Stuck one in my daily driver 64 Galaxie, got one in my 46 Ford, shoe horned one in my 51 Mercury project. What ya need?

6. cole

cole

with painless harness ............you cant plug in and read codes while running.

its a 300+ hp cobra crate motor , searches for idle, weak suck on power.

trying to find out what painless got rid of that wont let it do a running diagnostic

test.

7. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Cole...Fire your questions at us...with all the techs and ex-techs out here, we should be able to answer your questions.

8. cole

cole

9. I've got "some" experience. However I run a Holley Commander 950 ECU and part of the Holley harness, wiring the rest on my own.

10. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

what are your koeo memory codes? i've never even bothered with koer codes on my 5.0.

11. Pm me if you need help I put a 90 5.0 Ho @aod in my 57 wagon with the Ford racing harness so far runs like a top.
    Joe

12. cole

cole

manually counting flashes 81,82,85,67, continous memory(18,33)

13. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

81 and 82 are air injection (probably gone right?), 85 is canister purge (gone?), 67 is neutral safety switch, 18 is a bad tach signal (are you using a stock distributor or an MSD piece of shit? Stock TFI module or no?), and last but not least is EGR. I'm guessing you eliminated it and now you need an EGR eliminator. It basically tells the ECU that the EGR is always closed.

Idle issues could be IAC related. Have you checked it yet?

14. Send me a pm. I have a Painless in my truck.

15. millersgarage

millersgarage

yup on the EFI have a 5.0 efi in the coupe.

all the info you will ever need is at www.fordfuelinjection.com I used his harness, and it was easy. There is a wealth of info on the webpage.

16. cole

cole

beef stew...........winner could you tell me the correct procedure to set Idle and IAC. stock dist. (ford racing) w ron morris egr simulator

17. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

x2.

How about the basics, timing, fuel pressure, etc? i have the procedure for seting base idle, etc that i can email you if that'd help....

18. Shawn M

Shawn M

Correct procedure to set idle is, unplug IAC, set idle to 750 rpm, key off, reconnect IAC, and restart. You will also need to clean the throttle body and IAC valve with carb cleaner before the idle reset. The idle condition you speak of I've usually seen happen after the battery has died or if the battery has been disconnected. The computer loses keep alive memory and cannot compensate for the accumulation of grime in the throttle body and IAC. Try this first and good luck to you.

19. Shawn M

Shawn M

I also forgot to ask if the car in question was a mass air (MAF sensor) or manifold air pressure(MAP) ? The MAF sensors are prone to contamination that can be cleaned. This can also cause the concerns listed.

20. cole

cole

it has a mass air and everything is spotless.

thank you guys, will give it another round and see how it goes,

21. Shawn M

Shawn M

I negleted to mention that resetting keep alive memory again after cleaning is necessary as well. For your application, this would most easily be done by disconnecting the battery or better still, the PCM, leave it disconnected for several minutes to reset KAM.

22. Painless has two efi setups for the Ford 302 from what Ive heard. One uses orignal Ford managment equipment and the other uses AC Delco. Ive helped a few through some issues but the AC Delco one is out of my realm. If you are dealing with the later, slddnmatt here on the HAMB has dealt with it.

Ford has a factory part number idle spacer that goes between the idle air solenoid and the throttle body. It has set screws to control idle by bleeding more air and was used for older motors with coking of the throttle body problems. I have an E303 cam in my Merc project and had to use one, worked perfect without having to mess with factory idle settings. Try that for the hunting idle. The issue is the idle solenoids design has issues compensating for bigger cams and hunts way past the desired parameters (big words huh? dont get too impressed. Just did a ton of asking and reading to figure my same issue)

Your power issue can be a bunch of other things, Ide first check fuel ressure as stated by other HAMBers. I use the factory Ford harnesses and disect them rather than use Painless. No reason other than cost for me, they have good product in my opinion. Next I would check firing order. This may sound elementary but I have had cases where some would have a 351 or HO cam in a 302 and didnt use the 351 or HO firing order when placing the plug wires. IT WILL RUN!!!! Just not as much power!!!!

Lets start from there and see where it goes. Chad

23. cole

cole

I have that plate allready added. fuel pressure was 35 lb, hit the throttle and it drops. put a new regulator on today its at 40-45 but when i pull vac. hose off regulator .........pressure stays steady? weird.

24. Also check www.fordmuscle.com for more info Did you check to see what firing order you are using?

25. Shawn M

Shawn M

Does the fuel pressure still drop with the new regulator? If it does then you have a blockage issue in the fuel system or a weak fuel pump. Pressure should increase when disconnecting the vacuum hose, athough 45 psi is plenty enough pressure for the engine to run properly. Keep us updated on your progress.

26. cole

cole

thanks guys for help.......put a bigger fuel pump in it helped the most, woke it up , but I still think its down on HP.