Register now to get rid of these ads!

Evapo Rust (it really works)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low springs, Jan 4, 2007.

1. dodgedartgt

dodgedartgt
    from SW FL

Hey Goozgaz,
    How do you use the Bar Keep product for rust removal? Just mix it with water and dunk parts?
    Thnx, Mike Bynum

2. the bar keepers friend only contains a small percentage of oxalic acid, you shoould find a store like rockler or a woodworkers store and they'll sell you a 1-2lb bag of pure oxalic acid crystals for 8 bucks. you supposed to do like a 1 gallon to about 2 oz mix. your supposed to dissolve the crystals in warm to hot water, make sure your not standing over the water when pouring in the crystals.

3. rtc1930

rtc1930

are there any concerns about clean up before paint? Im not sure what you guys use to prep for paint but i always get scared i wont be able to wash off any chemicals i put on the sheet metal. l've seen guys pressure wash cars prior to paint but i have no trim, door seals, and have exposed wood im concerned about getting water in all kinds of crevises and making it worse. So any cleaning i think should be done by hand.

4. George G

George G

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Good to know this stuff works,because I just ordered the 5 gallon pre-mixed bucket a couple of days ago. Going to see how it works to free up some pistons that have minor rust on the cylinder walls.

6. Johnny Hambone

Johnny Hambone

Going out right now to buy a 5er and a kiddie pool
    (56 cadillac hood)

Where in the hell do you find a kiddie pool when its 26 outside?

7. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

dude named craig. he has some list with odds and ends on it.

8. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I've soaked some backing plates in this stuff, it's great!

9. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

wow.... this was an old topic. i'm glad that it's worked out for all of you out there.

10. Huckster59

Huckster59

looks good to me ,whats it go for $

11. bathcollector

bathcollector

I bought a 20 litre of Evapo rust and dunked some pedalcar rims in it, they were a bit pitted but took a month of soaking to get clean. I have had a springer rear leg that,s been cut through the legs soaking for 3 months and still has crusty shit in the legs. Did i get a bad batch ??

12. 1939Dodge

1939Dodge

Curious to see results side by side of the same parts dunked in oxalic acid and Evapo Rust.

Sounds like Evapo Rust can take a while, also I want to make sure that either method I go with does not eat the metal...

13. mike hamel

mike hamel

2 thumbs up for Evapo Rust. I use it on all of my wheels they get very rusty and the Evapo Rust is so careful it takes the rust right off the original paint and leaves you with one sweet original painted rust free rim. I love the stuff. Buy the 5 gallon drum that you have to add the water too. Believe me, its the best bang for the buck and you get soo much more out of it. I have been using my 5 gallons for almost a year. Just add water and it revives the rust remover!

14. 66galwag

66galwag
    from SoCal

Would the Evaporust or oxalic acid work if you just brushed it to the surface you wanted to derust? I need to do something about the heavy surface rust on my '60 El Camino roof and it's a bit big to dunk in a tub!

15. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

They say Evaporust does not clean away dirt or grime, but clears the rust. So the part actually needs to be cleaned first. That's what I was told when I called the company.

Anyone who used it agree with that?

16. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

Looks like I will be buying alot of that, thanks for posting this!!!

17. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Yes sir, your pictures convinced me to give it a shot. I did the same and strained the product back into the jug for future use. Good stuff for sure

18. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

It may not clean the dirt and grime, but it will soften it up for easy removal

19. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Actually,there's Evapo Rust,and they also have a rust inhibitor,two different products,same company. If you read the posts on this thread,I doubt it clears the rust,it removes the rust.

20. rustyhood

rustyhood

21. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Okay,I want to revive this thread again,because I want to know if anyone has used it in a stuck engine and what effects it had on the rings and pistons. Just wondering,because that's what I plan to use my big 'ol bucket on

22. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

23. 46 rat

46 rat
    from clever mo

I have learned to not use it on anything that has a spring If you leave it in it to long it will take the spring out. I used it on glovebox springs and other things and it took the spring out of them.

24. rustyhood

rustyhood

All I can say is I didn't know this stuff existed until I read this post awhile back and repied. Today I got a gallon and it will be in my garage for now on!
    Before I applied it [​IMG] possibly 3 hours later[​IMG]

My old Vac wiper motors I removed are on the floor[​IMG] A couple of hours later [​IMG] Thats them on the left of photo. All of this was today. Amazing stuff for sure. Its going to make a few things easier for me for sure! And Thanks for the info!! :D

25. McGuireV10

McGuireV10
    from Jax,FL

I'm re-re-reviving this thread. I decided to try the citric acid powder route.

Will this have any negative effects on chrome, or (hopefully) any positive effects on oxidization on chrome? (I figure rust is just iron oxidization, so...)

I have some old chrome bits I'm going to try but I probably won't have time for at least a week...

26. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I'm using the Evapo-Rust on a couple of engine cylinders that had rust scale from sitting even though the motor was a 0 mile rebuild. I'll let you know how it goes.

27. I've seen a trick to keeping paint or rust remover, wet on a panel for a longer period of time. Simply place a paper towel, flat on the surface you're working on. And brush on your product. The towel holds more, just add more as you go along. Prevents a lot of waste, also! I just used vinegar for the first time, it's slow but sure!

28. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Well,I'll tell you something right now,I'm glad I spent the money to get this stuff! It removed the rust scale without damaging the pistons,rings or cylinder walls. Hell,I accidentally got some splash back in my eyes from the bucket and it didn't burn me or anything,but I still made a beeline to the sink to flush my eyes.

29. rdemilt

rdemilt
    from so florida

So. Ive been watching the thread for a short time and read that the active ingredient in Evapo Rust could be citric acid. This got me thinking about the active ingrediant in the chemical that cleans the resins in a water softner. I went to the local softner supply house to ask a few questions and was told my thoughts were correct (citric acid). I went back home and mixed up a few spoon fulls in a quart of warm water and dropped some old parts in. Looked what happened in just 24 hours. The carriage bolt was dropped in 1/2 way as was the parking brake arm, the clean adjuster looked as bad as the rusty one before soaking and the carburator stud was old and rusty too. This can be purchased at my local grocery store (Publix) under the product name Tan X, sold next to the softner salt bags.

Copy of DSC05374.JPG

30. Just one MORE reason to go with Mrs. Yankee to the grocery store!

Did you have to rinse the parts in any special way when you took them out?