Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Anyone heard of a 60s Mopar All Brass 440?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LesIsMore, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

Never heard of such a thing. Shit would look cool though!

2. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Successful R&D does not mean the product worked or got finished. It means the staff learned something. That's why they use terms like research and development.

And yes, R&D people are constantly trying to show their bosses they're coming up with something. It's what they were hired to do, not a sign how useless they are. I'm suprised a racer is so disconnected from the process of learning & improving. Alot of racers are really good at R&D.

3. nofin

nofin
    from australia

I'm guessing there's some old guy on an old geezer forum laughing with his buddies about the bs he got someone to swallow...

4. panic

panic

Has anyone else had an owner open his hood and point to the supercharger ("the salesman told me it was an option")?

Or, as we call it, "air conditioning compressor"?

Or a Buick owner explain that his engine has 465 hp (the torque rating on the air cleaner)?

How about the "fuel injected" cars from the 1970s (smog pumps and EGR)?

"It's one of only 37 ever made"... station wagon, in this color pink, 3-speed on the column, with the special Kleenex box on the rear shelf, roof rack, and no radio. Other than that, it's one of 84,765 made that year.

How about early V8 Valiants (model name is V100, V200 etc.)?

5. Somehow, every time I hear “golden commando” I get a picture in my head of Liberachi in a combat helmet.

6. seatex

seatex

That is freaking HILARIOUS!

7. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Yup, and there were two versions, a low deck 400 and a tall deck 440...though I believe only one of those variations made it out the door.
    For those not familiar, the Ball Stud is best described as a pair of BB Chevy heads grafted to a Mopar wedge block. The idea was to combine the best features of both the Hemi and Wedge engines, and then replace them both. There were a bunch of them running around the Chrysler proving grounds in '69 and '70, and when the project was canned, a few complete examples were snuck out the back door. One ended up in the collection of Dick Landy.

8. junkrodder

junkrodder
    from Sweden

Didnt some early speedpart company make brass heads for the ford flathead?

9. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Yep, Federal Mogul made 21 stud heads

[​IMG]

10. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

those federal mugul heads are a bronze alloy, pure brass wouldnt be much good for a head casting..too soft I'd imagine.

11. carbking

carbking

I have no idea on the 440 Chrysler.

However, there is a GRAIN of truth to the post quoted.

In 1933, Ford installed Bracke carburetors on 1000 V-8 engines from the factory which WERE sold to the public. These were to be subsequently removed and replaced with the stock Detroit Lubricator carburetor by the dealer at the first service. Evidently, the results were impressive in the wrong direction, as this is the only recorded use of the Bracke on an automotive engine. They were used on some marine applications.

Have not seen a brass engine, do not know if they were produced.

Stromberg, for one, DID produce some of their prototype carburetors in brass or at least some brass casting, including the first Stromberg 4 barrel.

Many who have visited our shop have seen the large prototype Stromberg two-barrel which is brass.

Jon.

12. Way back when I was in highschool auto shop we had a single cylinder engine that burned vegetable oil that had a glass cylinder so we could watch it fire. OT here maybe but it was still kinda cool.

13. No, no, this is really true! I was just chatting with Hap Shaughnessy up here at the Possum Lodge and he told me he had one, that it would outrun the Secret Service all the time 'cause he was dating Marilyn Monroe at the time and he had to sneak her out of the White House. He put a clear oil pan on it so it wouldn't reflect radar underneath the car (you know what radar waves bouncing under a car does to the family jewels, don't you?) and then got the rare semi-wedge hemi heads with the factory single six-barrel carb. Ran low 9's at the drags and he had it up to 183 on the speedo. I didn't believe him about the factory red-painted wheels, though.

14. carbking

carbking

Actually, Rochester did in fact develop a 6 barrel carburetor (not 3 two-barrels, a genuine 6 barrel) but it died in the prototype stage. Never made production.

Jon.

15. In that case, maybe it was a five-barrel...yeah, that's what it was, a five-barrel! And Hap's car had one of those blower/AC compressor/PS pump combination things...I think he said it added 1600hp when he switched it on!

16. 4406

from Oklahoma

Is this still going on?

17. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

I've got a pretty mean mopar 360 in a Dodge truck, it's an inline 6, diesel... Really I do!!!

18. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

I have some ocean front proprety in Wanatah, Indiana for sale. I guy told me there was a chicken that comes around every three new moons and shits golden nuggets worth milions, but you have to buy my property to find out.

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

If it was solid brass some scrapper already had it melted down, I can tell you i've heard about the gold plated one with solid platinum heads though. supposedly it's in Elvis's secret underground garage, and you have to use his hand to get past the biometric scanner. You just have to lure him away from his donuts [​IMG]

20. chubbie

chubbie

this story reminds me of the time I was sitting in my boys garage hav'n a beer . couple of his friends stopped and were glad to have a free beer... my boy says.... tell my dad about your dad in laws car..
    he's telling me about a '70 dodge cornet, yes i remember himdriving it .. 180,000 miles not a drop of oil! but thinks it best to tear it down , fresh it up for the next 100thow.NOW THE B.S.!! he thought it looked funny.....and he would soon learn when trying to find overhaul parts that nothing would fit. auto parts store says, go to MOPAR they will have the parts. mopar wanted the numbers off the engine. no engine like this was ever made!!! so he gets a call.. were did you get this car??? BLA BLA BLA!! they want the car back! it was never was to be sold!! they offer BIG BUCKS! want that car back! will even trade for a new car and money!! no I want to keep the car! his dad in law didn't know what to do!!
    I yelled " OH BULL SHIT!" he has all these young guys thinking this is true!! this young man is still tell'n the story!!

21. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

Slant Six Diesel: Spain....360?? Some serious overbore...but maybe?? I'm sure you were being funny? But possibly true...

22. eeluddy

eeluddy

Cummins Turbo Diesel

23. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------------------
    Yep, those DODGE Roadrunners were rare
    beasts alright. In the list of rare, I'll bet they
    rank right up there with '73 Superbird station
    wagons....which I've heard also came with
    440 hemis too!!!! :D :D :D

Mart3406
    ===========================

24. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

This gets REAL off topic but I've been told I was an idiot before for not backing my facts up...In this case I was wrong...call me whatever

the factory Spanish Darts with Diesels were in fact from Cummins

in the US a diesel "option" on Darts nearly doubled the cost of the car: http://u225.torque.net/cars/SL6/articles/Diesel_Dart.pdf

25. Don't forget that Crosley had a bronze block... not a very good one mind you, but they DID have one...

26. No it didn't. It was a steel block, copper brazed together. They called it the CoBra (Copper Brazed). It was not a very good engine as you stated. The later CIBA cast iron engine was a good one.