Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please school me. 327

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicdreamer, Jan 26, 2010.

1. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Please educate me on a serpentine pulley set up for my 327 motor. Will need, crank, alt, ps and water pump. Not running AC. The heads do NOT have holes to bolt brackets. Thought about March Pulley, but who wants to spend $500+? Are there any modern day set-ups that will work?

2. squirrel

squirrel

without holes in the heads, it's gonna be difficult.All the oem brackets (the affordable stuff) uses them to mount the parts.

I haven't found any reason to go to serpentine on anything old....maybe you need to ditch the ac and ps :)

3. Less is more........sounds like a couple of V-belts would work fine......for way less than $500......

4. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

V-belts worked fine for me. Factory brackets are avail. everywhere. Correct exhaust manifolds have provisions for brackets or if your running headers there is many brackets avail. to mount on the #1 primary flange and i believe they are made for the opposite side (#2) But they flex at high rpm i fixed mine by making a few braces

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It's a no brainer to me. I'll never even need to weigh the advantages of converting, if there are any; let alone how to do it, have more important issues to consider.

6. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Thanks for the insight. I will look for the OEM brackets for the motor. Going to run headers as well. Thanks guys. Any preference on pulleys or keep it oem as well. Found a couple billet pieces? I know billet is a big NO NO in this forum. Not looking for the bling factor looking for less weight and strain on the motor. Make any differences? Sorry for all the questions, new to the american car world and trying to learn. I appreciate the guidance.

7. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

DREAMER...usually the old heads had holes, some of them only had holes on 1 end of head. so feel behind the engine and see if the holes are on back side of engine. but like the man said, most of these engines have holes on top of exaust manifold. and brother $500.00 is the least cost of serpintine change over...POP.

8. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

POP/holeshot, the old heads usually have NO holes.

Classicdreamer, you said you want serpentine for less stress on the motor? What is going the be any different? Unless you are going to ad an tentioner, you will still be adkusting the belt tention the same way be it V belt or serp. The suggestions are more for staying with V belts, and this is really what you should do. Should be no reason at all to go to a serp setup on an old car....if you are thinking about underdrive/overdrive pulleys, you can get them in V belt design so once again no need for serp.

If you want, you can drill and tap the heads for the accesories. It isn't that hard to do, and has been done many times.. Get the brackest you need, mock them up, mark the spot where the hole needs to be, drill and tap. If you can't get the brackets mocked in place, you can always use a piece of paper to make a template from a head that has acc. holes and tranfer the pattern to your heads, mark, drill and tap.

I suggest keeping the V belts...Good Luck.

9. Jims35

Jims35

Would just switching to later heads solve the problem of not having holes?

10. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, but it would also ruin the 327!

don't need AC, then just set it up like this, but without the compressor

[​IMG]

11. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Cant swap heads. I could but rather not. The heads went from 202 to 208. Have a ton of head work done to them. They are suggesting not tapping as it could potentially puncture the head. A friend of mine has a march pulley 20450 set-up from his 283 with PS pump, Alt, Crank pulley, and water pump for $500. Might just mill down the inside of the alt bracket and fab a mount coming from the block. As of now I dont have any accesories or pulleys. Would have to buy it all, probably run about $400 anyway. We shall see. Thanks for the input guys. Here is a shot of the motor.
    [​IMG]

12. Jims35

Jims35

Looks good , I think your idea of fabing a mount is the way to go . I had a G M serpentene I wanted to put on my engine that needed just one more hole on the passenger side but never went ahead with it . The serpentene system I had was from a 80 astro van 4.3l v6 , just needed that one hole in the head.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  13. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I believe the newer serp styles bolt a large aluminum assembly mainly to the block, and run a reverse water pump. but they stick out so far, you'll have to move the radiator in most cars.
    I would find an old junkyard and get a complete setup from a chevy truck, done.

14. squirrel

squirrel

"0ld" meaning up to 1972, right? 73 and later are long pump. but the early 70s setups used an alt bracket that bolts to the head, since the bolt holes in heads appeared in 1969. And most 60s trucks did not have power steering.

might try for mid-late 60s full size car stuff?

15. Jims35

Jims35

They are a large aluminum unit as you noted, what years of trucks are the other one one ? Are they a one piece unit like the aluminium one I have ?

16. TRUCK_RAT

TRUCK_RAT
    from tulsa

Speedway sells a toothed belt system that basically just replaced all of your pulley and different belts but I kinda got a hankering to try em out on my 39.

17. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

I wouldnt use the chevy truck idea. the late model truck serp. system uses bolts in the heads. plus they are very ugly

18. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

You could have the heads drilled and tapped for those bolts .I wouldn't but I heard its been done.

19. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

exactly, but truck parts are cheaper than "corvette" parts. Its a tough mix he's got going.

i have seen a few variations, they'll work, but as so eloquently noted, they are ugly. solutions here will help the guy. of course drilled accessory holes would solve alot more.

20. OCIE

OCIE
    from TRINITY,TX

check out allen grove components, they make a lot of different engine brackets. I know for a fact they have a pasenger side mid mount alternater bracket fot no bolt heads.

21. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers