Register now to get rid of these ads!

239 Y-block or 302?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scummy13, Jan 26, 2010.

1. scummy13

scummy13

So, I have the original 239 Y-block that came with my ’54 Ford panel truck and was wondering if it was worth rebuilding or just put the rebuilt 302 that also came with the truck in it? The 239 does not run, but turns over freely. Looks wise I really like the Y-block, but it was only rated at 130hp. Are there any Hi-performance parts for these engines like a 3x2 intake? Are all Y-block parts interchangeable?
    Thanks

2. 117harv

117harv

Y block all the way, they make hi-po parts, new and old.

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Having owned a '55 Effie with a 239 I would not use it for several reasons the 239 and 256 Y-blocks won't produce much bang for the buck and since they were only produced for 2 years parts for them are more costly.Best bet for a Y-block is swapping to a 292 since they were produced much longer,are capable of more power and availability of parts is much better and less costly.That being said,I love my 302 in my '54 Sedan!

sunbeam likes this.
  4. TRUCK_RAT

TRUCK_RAT
    from tulsa

5. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

what he said. I love my y-blocks but you would be better off finding a 292 to start with. Also you will spend a whole lot more money building the y-block. Search this site there is plenty of info on the y-block and also check out
    http://www.y-blocksforever.com/

6. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

We had a 292 in a truck and replaced it with a 272. I noticed less power, would have hated to go to a 239. Just not alot of power there. I like the Y blocks but would go with a 292 or bigger. Hard to not use the 302 if you have it.

Neal

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Like JeffB2 said, if you want to go Y block, at least find a 292. Same nostolgia factor with larger valves, ports, and 53 more cubic inches and no additional weight over the 239. A rebuildable 292 core engine can still be picked up in this part of the world for short money.

8. The 239 is not only smaller and less powerful,it is kind of unique.Most other y block parts won't interchange with it.First year made and they changed a lot in 55.Get a later engine if you decide to stay y block.239 parts are more expensive than 292 if you can even find them at all.

9. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

i had a flathead for mine, i decided i wanted something to drive and not have any problems with so i went with a 351, y blocks are cool but going down the road is cooler, have fun

10. H3O

H3O

almost like asking "Should I be unique, or have the same thing the next guy has?"

11. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

A 292 with the 57 ECG heads and an aftermarket intake is a good combination... if your not after the hot rodded look - the 57 OEM single four with a 650 is a solid performer

12. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

If you want more power from the 239 Y block you must change the heads to some from a newer y-block but you must weld up some water chanels.
    I and my brother in law did it on a 239 and we change the intake to a four barrel and the distubrator to a 55 but we need to change the old cuggwheel on the dizzy.
    It made big change in power.

/Stefan

13. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I agree with that :) One of the biggest bummers I had with my Y-block was the valve adjustment. After a while I was adjusting those things every other day :eek: I would have rather had a SBF instead of that loud clacking excuse of a motor under the hood. I did some reading up on it and Ford knew the Y-Block had oiling issues before they even put it into production. If it was me the choice would be a no brainer, 302 hands down. No oiling issues, no valve adjustments, easier to find parts versus a rushed, noisy, half-baked design that the Y-block is.

14. scummy13

scummy13

You guys aren't making this easy. Looks like I'll can the 239 and see what i can find in my budget for a Y-block. Maybe sell the 302 to help fund it.

15. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

The guys are all correct; the 239 is a dawg. Going to a newer y block would make your life easier, but if you are looking for available parts and reliability, the 302 is hard to beat. with a 4 speed or an automatic. the y blocks have their own set of problems and idiosyncracies, like oiling problems, and its easier to squeeze more ponies out of a 302 with more available. the y block guys will tar and feather me, but I worked on plenty of 'em when they were in everyday use. consider a FE ford also, 352/390.427....

good luck thats a great project

gaspumpchas:D

16. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Shit-can that 239, it's the "boat anchor-iest" of the boat anchors. I'd say go with the 302. I know nothing about them. I've had a 272 and a 292, and while they sound unreal with a set of glasspacks on them..well, I'd go with something that you already have and is a bit more modern.

17. teddyp

teddyp

get a 292 y-block
    here,s a picture of a 302 we had in a 54 ford and a 54 ford with a y-block if we had it to do again i would put a sbc in it then the 302 not that its not a good motor but the y-block as much more cool factor remenber ford did make motors after the y-block but who really grive a shit y-blocks for ever:D

Attached Files:

18. You might want to join and check out the 1952-56 Ford cars social group ( http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=332 ) for inspiration on your switch. Generally for cars but some great techs there that might provide some good advice.

HAMBer rustyfords is putting a 302 in his '54 car but building it up to look more Yblock-ish. I'm a big yblock fan but what he's doing is pretty awesome.

Here's the link to his project: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=3753

Ron

19. clean up the 239 then sell it.. I know where there is a running 292 out of a 57 Pickup less than twenty minutes from me.. I have two 292's but they're torn apart out in the shop..

20. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

It would be cool to see that "Y" block in there, and yes there is hp support for that engine.

21. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

As a guy who has Y-blocks in 2 of my hot rods (28 PU w/312) & (57 Wagon w/292) I'm very partial to those noisy motors. But, I'm gonna buck the trend here. With as heavy of a vehicle as that panel is, you would probably be more happy with the 302. They are a good motor themselves and since you already have one ready to go, you might as well use it.

22. studebaker46

studebaker46

sometimes old is not better. the whole object of this sport , hobby, obsession is to improve the vehicle of choice. there was areason the 239 was only built one year and the y*blocks were short lived my .02 cents tom

23. daily_driver

daily_driver

I'd say go with the yblock, but like others have said, a 292 would be a better choice. More base hp and the parts are more easily interchangable.

24. rick goetz

rick goetz

My vote is for the 302. The 239 would be cool but it's way down on horse power and horse power is what hot rodding is all about. You can get more hp out of a 302 for far less money. My $0.02

25. Just Jones

Just Jones

Off hand, I'd vote for the y-block (I have a 312 with a 3x2 myself), but really, it sort of depends on how you plan to use the truck. Is it going to be a daily driver/shop truck/parts hauler? Then maybe the 302 is the way to go. If this is going to be your hot rod, go with the Y block.

26. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

302 all the way. Y blocks are cool, but not as cool as putting your foot down and being propelled down the road

27. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

A stumbleing block I'm surprised no one else has mentioned is that the 239 was produced by two differant plants and used two differant dizzys and cams.One I believe used a 13 tooth gear between the two parts and I think the other used 14.Just another reason playing with old cars is so much fun.:rolleyes:The 302 will save you some headaches.

28. yeah but they're block design became the stuff of legends (remeber the FE's, 390's 428's, they were a direct result of the Y) the only reason the original Y was short lived was that the block casting was designed right before cars nearly doubled in size in the late fifties.. think about this.. Ford school buses and Log trucks were using Y's up until 1964 with the only change being a forged crank.. the Y is a bullet-proof work-horse if you maintain it..

29. <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by studebaker46 [​IMG]
    sometimes old is not better. the whole object of this sport , hobby, obsession is to improve the vehicle of choice. there was areason the 239 was only built one year and the y*blocks were short lived my .02 cents tom
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Very good points. A very important part of this hobby is also personal preference, as expressed thru their vehicle. And new isn't always an improvement. Increased maintenance and attention to detail could be considered improvedments. IMHO, 302s are Ford's version of bellybutton SBCs :eek: but hey that's me. Both are proven great engines and ideal choices. Generally speaking, reliability in some vintage engine wasn't as good as in their later replacements. But as bloodknucklehill said, if Yblocks are maintained they're very good, reliable mills that can last a long time. And what a lovely "noise" they make!

30. Are you going to run a hood?