Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A Tale of Two Phaetons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jim galli, Jan 26, 2010.

1. jim galli

jim galli

Big night for me. You'll understand.......

[​IMG]

That's me on my grandma's lap in 1956. I wasn't 4 years old yet. But the Model A virus had already infected me for life. My grandad was taking the pic, (that's why it's sharp). He was a Lockheed engineer working on the F104 for Kelly Johnson, and would have been a world class photographer.....except grandma held a tight fist on the purse, so all he could buy for the KodaChromes was a 35mm Argus. Left to him, I'd have inherited a Leica M4, but that's totally another story ;)

[​IMG]

Grandma took this one, (that's why it's blurry). 1957. The car belonged to Dallas Burger and was kept at his 160 acre retreat just up the slope from Mono Lake in the Sierra's.

The 1928 Phaeton was originally a Los Angeles Herald Examiner delivery vehicle. That's why the back seat was long gone. The Herald had a fleet of Model A phaeton's and Dallas was friends with the guy that maintained them.

In 1952, the herald bought a fleet of new Dodges and retired (junked) the Model A's. At the sale, Dallas had his friend tell him which one had a fresh banger and was in generally good shape. It was the '28 you see. Dallas bought it for a few dollars and made it the camp car at "the Lodge" his place in the Sierra's. It lived year round at 8500 feet and had a garage to protect it.

My grandad was a co-engineer with Burger at Lockheed, and they were best friends. So I had the privilege of growing up (at least for a few weeks each summer) in the sierras and riding to Lee Vining for groceries and fresh Ice in this car.

In 1961 Dallas' son Dale Burger sold this Model A in the Bay area and he bought a new International Scout. If you pass through Lee Vining Ca. on vacation, you will spot the Scout to this day parked at Hess's 76 Service. I think it has 18,000 miles on it now. Not important! I was heart broken that Dallas would sell the 'Green Hornet' and I never forgave him. That IH Scout was rubbish.

Suffice to say I've waited over 50 years to have a Model A Phaeton. I've had 4 roadsters in the interim, but the Phaeton's were elusive. When Mel (DirtiestDevil) bumped his ad for the '29 below about 6 weeks ago.........I decided it needed to come to Tonopah. The pics below were as-of 8:30 this evening. Took me 53 years, but who's counting. I'm a young 57.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's what I'm dreaming of.........

[​IMG]

Did I overshoot?? Nah............I'll be terrorizing the neighbors by next weekend.

Post Script: If anyone here recognizes Burger's '28 Phaeton and knows where it is today, that would bring me complete full circle. I'd love to see that car again, or even just hear what happened to it. I know, 1961 was a long, long, time ago.

2. rocnroll

rocnroll
    from alabama

Jim, I'm just starting on one myself......good luck on yours..(oh, and I won't be terrorizing the neighbors next weekend...at least with the tub anyways)

3. jim galli

jim galli

Licens plets? We don' need no stinkin' licens plets! :p

4. Congrats Jim, great story and great to see you finally get what you want! I LOVE that yella 30/31 on the cover of HopUp, too! Good one to build off of :D

5. Weasel

Weasel

Kaaaarmaaa!! You must be stoked - promise to post more pix of you terrorizing the neighborhood - and btw that patina is just perfect.

6. What a great story. That car of yours is in great shape! Congratulations!

7. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been by that area & seen the Int.Scout always parked there by the Lee Vining Pass!!---Now I know the story!
    When we used to live in So Cal, we used to go camping a lot in the Sierras in the 50's & 60's. Now that we live in Bend, Oregon, we make the trip down to LAR Fathers Day in our roadster every 3 yrs. or so. We will take another look in June as we go by the pass sign enjoying the scenic cruise of HWY. 395, maybe honk the OOGAA horn too!!!
    ----------Don

8. jim galli

jim galli

WTB: Door latch assy's with handles, late '28 - '29. Need 4 with strikers :D

9. JoJo O.

JoJo O.

Very cool man!

10. I know you can get latches new, and I know a friend who has some orriginals...I'll hit him up and see what he says.

11. jim galli

jim galli

Thanks Chris. I've been away from Model A's long enough that I haven't paid any attention to the catalogs as far as what's available or not. Better call up Bratton's and Mac's I guess.

12. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

I thought that car looked familiar. I was thinking the story was going to go the other way around and the car Mel had was the one from your original pic.

Congrats and good luck with it, keep us posted on your progress.

13. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Gotta love Phaetons, congrats on your newly aquired A and thanks for the story!

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That is too cool!! Congrats on the buy, I love those Phaetons myself too!!

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When Mel put that in the classifieds I too was taken by it. Visions of Jake Jacob's fenderless touring with the magazine pages plastered on the sides dancing in my head. He was looking for a daily driver truck as a possible trade and I wasn't using my dually any more so I PM'd him. It was more truck than he needed so "oh well". I'm jealous, keep us informed as to what you do with it.

Frank

16. retro54

retro54
    from PA

I too was enamoured by this car... happy to see it went to such a good and excited home! Can't wait to see how you make it yours, congrats!

17. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Ummmm Phaetons Picked up a 28 phaeton body in Centerville AR about 10 years ago. Can't wait to play with it, been gathering up stuff. This is going to be fun. Sweet car ya got there and a great story.

18. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

A COOL story and I agree with you that ''A'' Phaetons are real nice lookin' cars!I hope to own one meself one day!

Nick.

19. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Hey, wanna trade for a coupe?? With todays technology we could doctor a coupe into those old photos, re-create your memories and nobody would be none the wiser!

20. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Neat story, and congrats on picking up Dirtiest Devil's car. I always thought that was a real neat start on my favorite early Ford body style. We'll be watching!

21. Congrats. Those family photos are just great. Jason...

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

Jim,

Great story and memories! I am also trying to get back an A from my family past. My Grandpa drove a '29 A-V8 roadster in the late 40's and early 50's that was really classic. I don't know if the car survived the 50's, but I do have several parts from his car that will become part of my re-creation....which is down the docket a bit from my T and another project. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423191&highlight=mrmodelt

23. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Great story Jim. Look forward to your progress.

24. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

Hey Jim Great story and one of the best posts on the hamb in awile.
    I also started a phaeton thread,It will be my new family cruiser and I hope my kids have some great times as you did in the ol model a....enjoy and look forward to more pics
    Brian

Her is a link to the Phaeton thread i started so you can se what I am starting with...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378175

25. jim galli

jim galli

Thanks for all the well wishes. Yes, there will be plenty of pics as we go.

26. cball

cball

Great story, I look forward to following your progress.

27. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

That rocks. Please keep us updated.

28. Old Fart 1941

Old Fart 1941
    from Oswego IL

Jim
    Great story,thanks for sharing. I have a 29 phaeton thats going on 5 years build.I am going with fenders and a 59a v8. Good luck with yours.
    Old Fart 1941

29. jim galli

jim galli

Thanks! Got any pics? Mine will be banger powered for a while. The sound a 59 AB makes is hard to resist. Maybe after the banger spills oil all over the desert.