Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early 50's willys/jeep truck pics request

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by len_m, Dec 17, 2009.

1. len_m

len_m
    from wpg,can

im looking for pics of the early 50's late 40's willys/jeep trucks. i searched on here and didn't find much, i did run across fiddyfours pics though, but want to see more. i've always loved these trucks and my dad had one when i was young, and would like to build one one day.

like this one

[​IMG]

2. second_floor_loft

second_floor_loft

Here's mine. 49 resto-mod. Station wagon chassis stretched 10 inches, home made bed w/ repro stake pockets. Inline Kaiser/Willys F-head 161 six cylinder.
    [​IMG]

Home made...DIY headers..
    [​IMG]

Now if I can just get the doors done :cool:

3. Sorry no pics, but my dad had a '50 when I was growing up. We used to take our burn barrels to the dump in it. Four cylinder 4wd. I think it had 5.88 front and rear gears. Not much on the top end but would practically climb a wall in 4w low range. He sold it to a guy that had already beautifully restored a 2wd wagon. It was going to a better home. Never forget it though.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That style of Willys Station Wagon and Pickup was made in 2 and 4 wheel drive models up into the early 60s like 64-65. There isn't much difference in any of them except the very early ones had flat grilles rather than peaked like the later ones.

In 1966 when I graduated from high school and was looking for a first car I went and looked at a Willys wagon on a car lot and was surprised at how much money they wanted for it. The guy said "Hey kid, what do you want? This thing is only 3 years old.".

I ended up with a 47 Plymouth 4door sedan for $125.

5. fitzee

fitzee

Love these trucks. Would love to have one for a winter beater.Been looking at a few nice ones lately for ideas.Here a few

Attached Files:

6. oldtin

oldtin

The Yellow 58 I sold a couple of winters ago. It was a fairmont conversion that ran on the railroads in northern Michigan.
    The green 56 wagon is still in the works, 2wd 327. I drove the wagon to Michigan from Washington state back in 85.
    I've had a couple of wagons with the 230 tonado OHC 6, but they are long ago rusted away.

Attached Files:

7. murfman

murfman

Here is mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. here's my 47. it's going on a 60's 4x4 frame with a 283 and a car muncie adapted to a t-case
    [​IMG]

9. fitzee

fitzee

Any sites out there for frame swaps on these trucks? Love to see the build on your mid 60`s 4x4 frame swap

10. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

1947 2 wheel drive...........
    [​IMG]

11. Saw this beauty last winter, still being used as a daily, outside a coffee shop in Miami. Nice.

[​IMG]

12. had a 53 pick up f head 3 sp 4X4 withthe big timkin rearend with a 28% overdrive
    had a 54 wagon 4X4 we put in a 289 studeabaker 33% overdrive the reason for the stude was the drive shaft did not hit the starter that had tuns of tork
    will try to find pics

13. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

In the late 70s I pulled a '48 Willys-Overland 2WD station wagon out of a Texas lake. Bought a 1960 Chevy with a 283 and a cast-iron Powerglide. The motor and tranny and nuts and bolts and sheet metal (for the many patches needed) and so on came off of the Chevy and went into the Willys. Used a 67 Camaro ten bolt rear, and bucket seats from some 60s era GM car. Put it all together in three months and drove that car all over the country including commuting in NYC stop-and-go traffic for many years. About four years into the swap the 283 came out and an early 350 went in, along with a 50 Plymouth radiator. The thing never did stop rusting and eventually I scrapped it.

Years later I had a 63 Willys pickup, green, similar to the one in the picture a few posts up but without any chrome trim. That car had the flathead Hurricane six. Front axles were broken so 2WD only, but it never got stuck. Brakes went out early on and I drove it for years with no brakes, just downshifting and turning off the key to stop. Even backed boat trailers down the ramp that way and never got it wet. No, I would never do that again and I don't know why I did it back then, but it was like that truck and I had an agreement. See the 'haunted cars' thread and you will know what I mean.

14. len_m

len_m
    from wpg,can

yeah thats what im looking for too, some step by step restoration/ frame swap sites..

15. Timo

Timo
    from md

Here's a couple that I diverted from the scrapper. Early 60's models I believe. No interest in fixing them. Anybody see any parts they could use?

Attached Files:

16. oldtin

oldtin

17. the frame is just a stock willys frame from a 60's wagon
    try this site it's growing fast http://oldwillysforum.com/

18. i need a good wagon tail gate.:D

19. 3dogsinajeep

3dogsinajeep
    from Sturgis

I have 3 pickups and a wagon. One is a 2wd and Ive been thinking a bout tossing in a 302 and making it a gasser of sort.... any thoughts on that?

My jeeps are all under about 4' of snow so no pictures.

20. oldtin

oldtin

21. FitzpatrickGlenn

FitzpatrickGlenn

22. rschilp

rschilp

23. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I used to have way back when a '52 4-73 that I bought from a friend of my sister. He had put a SBC in it with the rest of the stock drivetrain and the axles put over the springs (note: the spring pad on the axles are radiused to match spring arch so when you do this the pad "rocks" on the spring). Talk about whine thru a tranny!! I had plans to build a nice size 4x4, with '74 Blazer drivetrain, fenderwell headers, 40" Ground Hawgs, and 12" of lift similar to the attached pic (which is not mine) - not exactly a topic for this forum. But as most things go, plans changed and after moving it around in pieces a few times I sold it. I still dream about my vision for it from time to time. I also used to pass a 4x2 version that would be a better candidate for this arena. They are neat trucks. :cool:

Attached Files:

24. rocnroll

rocnroll
    from alabama

How about one Willys never built? I got this one together last May, still doing a little finishing on it......flathead V8.

[​IMG]

25. oil burner

oil burner

Not mine but was owned (and sold) by the guy I bought my kb-2 from. I missed it by about 2 weeks.

Attached Files:

26. bigroy

bigroy

here is my 56 wagon. engine is going in a different direction was going to be built as a daily driver but i recently decided to build it up as a stroker.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KlqciTs8Is0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KlqciTs8Is0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

27. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

That's pretty cool. What is that, a cut down 47'n-ish flat fender, with a Model A box? Way cool.

28. bigroy

bigroy

That is freaking sweet!!

29. rocnroll

rocnroll
    from alabama

Yes, I started with a '47 firewall and cowl and fabbed up the rest. And yes it's a Model A box with some pretty heavily modded Willys p.u. fenders.....and Willys tailgate....homemade top.

For a couple of more pics go here http://www.ewillys.com/?cat=62 then scroll down to Dec. 30
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  30. Reds 29

Reds 29

Here's one from a show in Grand Rapids in 05, not mine and don't know any more about it. Our 62 4wd station wagon is in the background, it's got the flathead 6. It's in the barn now, waiting its turn. Thinking about using the 4.3 out of my sons blazer when the rest of the blazer is no good.
    Red

Attached Files: