Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

OK....Lets hear your side of the story. Theres always two sides to be told. My info came from the "Horses Mouths" (George and Dyno Don Nicholson....it seems Dyno knew you) so to speak before they passed away. George from drinking way to much and Dyno from old age. The coversation came up about SD Pontiac's lots of years ago as there were a LOT of racers running them back around 64-65 in this area so your name popped up. If you deny any of it then they were liars I guess. Dosent really matter to me.....just passing on what I was told and Hurst never did give another race car away as a prize after you recieved yours. I can spell.....Im just not a good typist. Never claimed to be. If its all false then I apoligise for the inaccurate info because I was not there.

2. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

Now this looks like a really rare picture.... a Pinto giving away the head start!

3. Tony Janes-I'm sure it was probably discussed before, but what ever happened to your white '57??
    -Dean

4. Keith Berg

Keith Berg

Tony, I stand corrected. John's Olds was Project Head Start right? I think he still has the manifold he made for that engine.

5. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

John Old's was "Project Headatart" which was built for Super Stock X. He cut off the back of the Olds block an adapted a chevy Lakewood bellhousing so he could pass tech for Super Stock. Colsey that is the best picture I have sen of the old Olds. It was a fun car and I ran it at the Irwindale brackets for a couple of years. After 1971 it was no longer good for any NHRA class racing. The picture was from an AHRA meet at Fremont

Attached Files:

6. bertbrown

bertbrown
    from ca

Thanks for the Irwindale news Colesy!
    Brings back memories.

I used to work at Chadwick's Chevron on the corner of Myrtle and Foothill in Monrovia, just a half block away from Paul's Automotive. Paul and Willard Wright are mentioned in the article. We had lot's of cars stopping to get gas from the "white" pump, think it was called Custom Supreme.
    One day I got to fill up Jim McFarland's Edelbrock Camaro with the "good stuff". That was quite a car.

Brought back memories, thanks!

7. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

I had forgotten about that race. Bob Matheson was a friend of mine from the wast side suburbs of Cleveland who came to California shortly after I did.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  8. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Welcome to the party Bert -- great story! There must be a lot more Junior Stock gas-station-related memories (and images) 'out there.' Here's one of the (Maryland) Shell station who's owner was always eager to accommodate me as I headed out of town on my way to the races (*Image taken about 1959).

Attached Files:

9. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here is a picture of the 1959 John Mounjoy Chevy taken several years later at OCIR. It was of the original Casler Tire Cars of the early sixties.

Attached Files:

10. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

11. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

If I remember correctly this was race of AHRA, NHRA and Irwindale record holders. The 56 Ford was an AHRA car and yes I had a few more.

12. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here are several pictures of the first John Barley 57 Chevy. This was the 1968 Winternationals champion car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  13. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

Tony! Tell me more about the old casler car was that turquoise 305 hp
    348cu one ? I got to drive the old red el cam. at San Diego a week before the
    1966 winternations went 13.40+ the fastest I had ever gone up to then.

old-old timer

14. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

don't stare at the lettering too long, you'll go blind...

[​IMG]

15. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

You're right! :D Just like the underhood "SHAKER" decal on 1970-71 Hemi 'Cudas.

[​IMG]

This is a really cool pic; thanks for posting. I love the tinted windows, color coordination, and 'era' lettering, which to me, is the coolest ever styling. Modern day graphix and stick-on vinyl lettering just do NOT have that 'look' and further aggravated by millions of decals UNTASTEFULLY applied all over the car.

Pete

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  16. Where did you find that clear pic of Tension?? I have a copy framed in my garage...not as clear, but I think mine came from Fred Anderson along with some other photos of Good-In-Tension and the In-Bomber.
    -Dean

17. biscaynes

biscaynes

as always, GREAT PICTS MCINK!! :D

18. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Attached Files:

19. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

Thanks Tony that history is realy good to know at least to me

old-old timer

20. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

A photo from Pomona

[​IMG]

21. Dennis Holly

Dennis Holly

1956 4door Wagon. Friend needs to part with, because of health reasons. Anyone need a great car for Junior Stock project?
    40 years same owner.
    Car is in Portland MI.
    517-290-4045

Attached Files:

22. Colesy-Awesome pics and info on Good-In-Tension! Fred built the mentioned set of "Tension Team adjustable ladder bars" that are still on the In-Bomber. Good-In-Tension was recently sold at auction for a bargain $28k. The car is in mint condition, but had been restored to stock Bel Air trim with a 350/4spd. Aside from it's ladder bars and Cragar wheels, there was no evidence to even identify the car. It also went with it's original fuel injection unit and dizzy (in a box).
    -Dean

23. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

this photo and the Shaker photo are by John Eichinger, an acquaintance of mine.
    both photos are from Thunder Valley Dragways in Marion, SD, roughly 1970
    after much harassing by me, he is allowing me to scan and post some of his collection.
    Hopefully, he will share more with us in the future.

many more of his photos, as well as many of my own, are posted on the
    Thunder Valley Dragways thread at
    www.classracer.com

[​IMG]

24. jfheiner

jfheiner

Dom
    I wish that I had pictures. When Jack was running the Torino in Super Stock I drove his 69 Mustang convt in Stock. I heard someone is still running the Torino now.

25. Keith Berg

Keith Berg

Tony did'nt John have 57 Chevy convertible at one time. It had a different colored front fender or front end. He won a points meet at Santa Maria, Ca, with it.

26. Colesy just found this photo showing the "In-Bomber" in the backround. Wonder what strip this is?? Probably taken during 1969, possibly during 1970.
    -Dean

Attached Files:

27. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Yes John had a 57 Convertible. He raced that car in late 1966. I met him at Lions in Sept of 66 when I was racing my 56 Ford. We line up together for a time trial which he won and we became friends. The convertible went to the junk yard. He also had a 57 wagon with a 2 barell that he ran a couple of times. Here is a picture of that wagon.

Attached Files:

28. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

The background looks very similar to the current pics from Tri-State but that's just a guess.
    Bob Rice

29. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

I really luv the newly-unearthed (color) images of 'Big John's' beautiful 57. Seems, like most of us, he was a bit too involved with the car/s to take many snapshots.

Thanks to good-guy Jim Amos ... http://beeonvideo.homestead.com/ -- I have a few of some of my old 1960s rides on a DVD that he converted from 8mm home-movie film. The stills that I 'pulled' from the footage are a bit 'shaky,' but thought you guys might enjoy a few just the same.

Attached Files:

30. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here is another picture of the same race at the 1962 Indy Nationals Carol Cox in the 1961 Pontiac and I believe Roy Christian in the 1960 Plymouth 361 long ram. I think he was from Ohio.

Attached Files: