Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs laying a 41 chevy convertible on its rockers....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kami-cozzi, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I'm with bonez, tell us Mistgreen, tell us please!!

2. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

actually i guess its a '54 chevy rear end, but still a 5 lug. hes talkin about finding some 6 lug truck shafts, or getting the ones he has re-drilled to make em a 6.

but i would be interested in another option!

O.G. is handling the drivetrain set-up, so its kind of his deal, my responsibility was sectioning the frame, and helpin with the math for the front crossmember. i'll be doin the the fab work on the the body, then the bodywork after this

3. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

ya the "keyboard fight" got a lil thick lol. like i said, everything ive posted so far has been about 4 months of work. and i only work on the car on weekends, and these things take time. hopefully by next week i'll have the motor/tranny mocked up, and the body on the frame, then then some pics of the car laid out.

be patient with me guys!! it'll b worth it

4. banditomerc

banditomerc

You got it!!:eek:

5. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

well '54 will be enclosed drive line also,not really gaining much except better gears if he is you a powerglide rear end.

6. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I have a 63 Galaxie ragtop. I have to run the exhaust through the same type of x-member that you sectioned. It sucks.

How are you planning to get exhaust through that thing without compromising the strength of the now much shorter x-member. Perhaps the pictures are making it look smaller than it is. I am interested in your answer because I have to open up the holes in mine to run bigger pipes.

7. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

read some of coolhands posts, regarding the i-beam theory. the center crossmember is essentially an i-beam. making the exhaust go thru the lateral portion of the beam wont really weaken it. and hes running a very small diameter exhaust as well.

8. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Yeah it takes time no doubt, i missed the part where you said it was 4 months work!
    It would have taken me 8 to do hlf of it i suppose :D
    Outstanding stuff!
    I'll be patiently waitin then!

9. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

well here you go bonez!!!!

motor and tranny mocked up....

[​IMG]

10. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

and the body on the frame layed out.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Looks real good so far!

12. this will raise the x member so it will not hit the floor and will lower it

13. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

when you do this do you raise the motor as well?? our issue was the oil pan, flywheel cover, and lower a-arm bolts were the lowest points once we sectioned the frame. we wanted to keep as much of the center of the crossmember, because all the outboard weight relies on the crossmember, and with raising the upper arm towers as much as we did it applies more leverage on the unsupported outer portion of the crossmember.

and im surprised no one mentioned that, but we already plan on gusseting those raised towers.

and next time it will be a mustang II. theres way too much goin on here with this crossmember, it got a lil complicated number wise

14. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I was wondering what you were gonna do with those big silos up there.

Would have suggested to tie them back to the crossmember, but it occurred to me that the engine may be in the way (I didn't really know where exactly it was gonna live until those last pics went up).

Now that I see how the engine sets in there, I would tie the silos back into the frame hat, and then the hat into the crossmember with a gusset/member of suitably novel aesthetics (IE something pretty that OG would like and that would enhance the overall look or maybe just blend in).

That whole deal there is kind of a crazy structure. Could have been a lot simpler, even using the stock arms, if you'd have wanted to go that route.

It looks closer to stock this way though. ;)

15. customcory

customcory

When I sectioned my front crossmember 1 1/2 in. on my 51, I put a big piece of channel INSIDE the crossmember, tying the spring towers together at the bottom. You cant see it after the sectioned crossmember is back together. I raised my engine and trans. 1/12 in. also. Still got the closed driveline.My crossmember is solid as a rock. I worried about the spring towers moving around also, but didnt like the idea of welding gussets to the frame and then connecting to a bolted on crossmember, thus the reason for the channel. I will try to get you a pic.:D

16. CrazyTalkCustoms

CrazyTalkCustoms
    from MN

I think for the sake of saving yourself any "possible" future headaches or internet battles, you could have used the front clip and built yourself a box tube chassis from the firewall back on some kind of jig to keep things in line and square. Might have had roughly the same amount of time into it as well since the outer rails are relatively straight and easy to slip fit and plate around.
    Essentially, you just stock floor body dropped the car and tubing would've been less of a strength integrity issue than cutting up and rewelding the frame together.

So in a sense I agree with zman. However, I don't know who appointed him the sheriff in town. I see an overwhelming amount of posts from him making statements in an attempt to cut people down rather than giving any constructive criticism. Appears to me he doesn't know as much as he likes to lead on. Especially when you go to the shops webpage that he associates himself with and see stuff like this:

[​IMG]

I wouldn't preach strength issues when you cut such a huge pocket zman.

This as well:

[​IMG]

This is a huge "no no" especially when running a bag over the axle setup and the stress is transfered to the step notch. You don't flush weld it to the top of the frame.
    Step notches are designed so that you are able to place a decent portion of the outer plate on the outer face of the frame for more "strength" and weldable area.

Mini truckin' an old car or not, zman, you're still the pot calling the kettle black. If I were you, I would just shut my mouth. There are plenty of "mini truckers" out there that could out build you and your crew.

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

awwww... you hurt my feelings. Nice of you to show those pics of the pockets. To bad they don't show all the bracing that got put on the inside of the frame once I took out the old motor mounts, it's all reinforced and boxed through out there, at that point all you have is a pic of what needed to be taken out to get the bags and MII the customer wanted in there. And the fish plates on the back notch as well as the boxing the whole thing. Yeah pics from the beginning of the build and mockup are always awesome. Thanks though... now piss off :eek:

18. CrazyTalkCustoms

CrazyTalkCustoms
    from MN

I bet you have excuses for everything and anything.

19. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I've been told by numerous structural engineers that you can cut a hole into the "I-beam" web without affecting the overall strength of the beam, as long as the diameter of the hole is no more than 1/3rd of the height of the web. Food for thought.

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

No excuse, fact. That was all during the beginning of the project. Making sure everything was gonna fit and it would sit where needed. Sorry no one makes a kit for the '68 Dodge. So keep hammering on my if you like, doesn't bother me. I didn't post any of that build here since it's O/T as far as I'm concerned.

21. banditomerc

banditomerc

Hey Zman,post a picture or two of the finished frame in queston to silence the uproar you seem to have created!:D

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's not quite finished, waiting on the customer to drop the engine/tranny combo off. But here you can see the bracing on the inside front from when we made the engine mounts. Still need the steering in place and the exhaust to finish the rear, it's already braced but I want more. Just need to know how much space I have to work with before I get to froggy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to pull the bed back off to get pics of that as it sits now. The project is waiting for the customer to catch up on the bill...

Now let the man get back to his thread...

23. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

sounds like a good plan u had there, i will takes notes. ya ours was kinda crazy, but thats how O.G. wanted it. when its all said and done i think well be ok. and ya i was thinkin of having maybe bolt in gussets?? not sure if this crossmember will ever seperate from this frame again. O.G. will have the final say.

and ya id like to see some pics!

24. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

im with you on the gusset issue, and thats y we mocked up the motor, to see what we got.

ya it could have been a hellofalot simpler, but then wheres the fun in that?

[​IMG]

a guys gotta challenge himself, just to prove the naysayers wrong

[​IMG]

25. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Indeed.

Carry on, sir.

:cool:

26. Jebo

Jebo

27. Johnny Hambone

Johnny Hambone

Can I put my 48 Chev Conv next in line for a c-notch

where is your shop?

28. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

my actual shop is in stockton, california. bout an hour south of sacramento. were doin O.G.s car out at his shop though.

i actually do everything but assemble motors. i'll do my own rebuilds, but not for customers. chassis fab work, sheet metal work, body and paint, fuel and brake systems, wiring, upholstery, i'll even walk and wash ur dog if the moneys right.
    [​IMG]

way off topic but heres a 56 oldsmobile chassis im buildin right now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi

thank you!!!

30. kami-cozzi

kami-cozzi