Register now to get rid of these ads!

The new hot color of the year is brown...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chuckw2, Jan 24, 2010.

1. chuckw2

chuckw2
    from So Cal

It know is because I read it in HRM. I had decided on metallic root beer brown with gold flake panels or lace for the Riv a couple of months ago and now I read this. Dammit! Now I have to find a new color that isn't the next hot thing at B-J. Course by the time it hits the road I will have changed course a dozen times anyway so who cares?

2. blt2go

blt2go

i think that's why so many cars end up living in primer. i can't blame you for not wanting to blend in ,it sucks. i'm afraid i will have to gold leaf my car and i can't afford that.

3. There's a 55ish Lincoln from Austin Texas area that been sporting a super cool rootbeer brown/deep purple flake for a few years, they must be ahead of the curve overthere.

4. John Denich

John Denich

Your kidding right...Just paint it what ever color you like!!! So you don't want to be trendy by painting your car a trendy color, so your trying to be trendy by not painting the car a color you like because its trendy...Sheesh!!!

5. I'm with John, paint it to the color you want. It's your car afterall.

6. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Do the brown w/ gold dude, it'll look terriffic!

7. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Anything that ends in "sheesh" make me laugh. You are a funny guy John!

8. A more relevant thread on this board tell what the hot color of the year was in 1948.

Or '55, or '61, or...

IMO, the truly hot color is the one the OWNER likes, not what the lemmings agree to...:rolleyes:

9. LAROKE

LAROKE

One man's "Utility Tan" is another man's "Sierra Sunrise"

Please don't tell me that earthtones are coming back. Can leisure suits be far behind?

10. harvest gold bathroom fixtures with brown shag carpeting and accessory covers for the seat and tank cover are going to make a comeback too . . .:eek:

11. Albie

Albie

Dark colors reflect a bad economy. Brown is still to "Rockford Files" for me though.

12. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

In the mid to late 70's there were so many candy rootbeer and bright gold cars that I got to really dislike browns and golds, which is a shame because on the right car they are stunning. It's kind of like hearing the same song so much you go from loving it to hating it, the reason I still can't stand to hear Ina-Gadda-Divida. lol

That said, that combo on a Riv done right would fall into the stunning catagory.

13. chuckw2

chuckw2
    from So Cal

Root beer brown metallic, gold flake lace panels on the roof, Cragar wires and narrow white walls' black roll and pleat interior. That's what I want. Now I just need the money. I can paint it pretty cheap-my son does it for a living. Mechanical is no problem for me. The wheels and interior are another story-big $$$ there.

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, not doing something because it is trendy is every bit as lame as doing something because it is. (trendy)

15. I always go for what I like after I see what looks best on the car. Trendy colors do not always compliment the car. On a Riv. I have seen silver look great as well as silver/blue metallic. Both of these were offered on the early Riv's. Just my opinion, some food for thought.:)

16. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I don't think that rootbeer brown with flake in a lowrider theme is what is going to be "trendy", but rather more muted browns and coppers or bronzes in a two tone Foose-like combo on big-wheel pro-touring goofy things is what HR was yappin about.

But even if that wasn't the case, just do your Riv in brown because it'll look great, it will be trendy for a while, then it won't be trendy anymore so you can feel good about liking it again. See? there's a solution for every problem!

-KK

17. Damnit. I was gonna do brown but I don't want to be trendy.

Maybe I'll leave it rusty, or bare metal ;)

18. HATED1

HATED1

i have been planning a brown / cream color combo for my tudor for years. i have not changed my mind yet. beats red or yellow or primer black in my opinion.

19. nutajunka

nutajunka

Remember brown will hide the rust should any ever appear. Riv's always looked classy to me, so paint it to look classy. If I had one it would be silver with medium flakes, more than factory so that it would sparkle in the sun.

20. Yeah but when i was a DJ the long version of that song allowed you to go to the restroom at a casual pace!:D

21. poorboy

poorboy

just paint it what you like

22. toxictom

toxictom

rootbeer brown with gold, brown with gold or gold with brown...i did it 5 years ago.....now i`m over-trendy, ha,ha....:rolleyes:;)

Attached Files:

23. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Hmmm... That's coincidental as I went with "Ruddy Brown" Krylon instead of the usual flat black this time, and I was liking the way it looked on the car. :rolleyes:

24. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

My 54 is brown and ivory and I plan on going with another brown when I paint it. Regardless if it's trendy or not it looks good.

25. I hate brown! Now, a nice dark tan color is great...'specially for an old 30s car.
    Here's my brown bomber.

Attached Files:

26. Brown? as in the color of a turd? I don't think it will ever be a hot color. Thats my 2¢.

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Yep, root beer brown with black fenders hot stuff back in the 70's for early year rides.
    As with any color, there are none that look good on every make'n'model - even black.
    But, shades of copper have been done over and over recently. People are looking for something different. Usually a color on new cars helps set the latest trend, any '10 cars have brown paint? Problem with new colors is the multi stage and higher grades of paint usually needed. Maybe instead of so many black primer rides there will be more brown primer ones. Bottom line, your ride-paint it your color.

28. HEY!!! That was my plan!!!!!:mad:

29. 60 Belair

60 Belair

trendy...Sheesh!!!

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

its nice to not pay attention to what "everyone else" is doing..that way you can do what you want and again "not worry about what everyone else is doing", or let alone....care, what everyone else is doing