Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help broke down in Mt.Vernon IL.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dieselc, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

2. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

3. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

So Im stuck here again, is there anything to do in this town?

4. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Cow tipping,walk around the Lincoln memorial,did I mention cow tipping? You could dress in all orange and act like an escaped convict from the prison there.

5. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Sweet I didnt know there was a prison. Im right off the exit, theres hotels, gas stations, thats about it.

6. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

I have a bro that owns and operates a shop in Fairfield which is only a few minutes away from MtVernon. His name is Amos and his shop is Ace Custom Upholstery. He does a lot moer than upholstery and has one of the largest shops I have ever been in. He can be reached at (618)599-3312. I apologize that I forgot all about Amos. You should call him and talk to him as he will go way out of his way for another hotrodder. Damn Good Guy. Call him if you need to and tell him who told you to call and I will give him a heads up.

7. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Just talked with Amos and he also suggested Shelton Auto salvage. He said it is the largest truck salvage yard he had ever been to and that they have a parts delivery available. If you cant get help there, he is willing to haul your stuff to his shop.

8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might not be a bad idea to have Amos pull the trailer to his shop while you're out looking. I'd really hate for this to turn into a stolen roadster thread.

9. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Well as I dont have the tools I need here, its cold as hell outside, is there any place you would recommend having do the work.

10. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Iv been worried about that the whole time. I having been barely sleeping and leaving the window of the room open, my stuff is 100 feet from where Im sitting.

11. Been in your position when I had a problem with my trailer
    Found a storage place to secure the tractor I was hauling
    and had repairs done to my trailer :cool:

If you can't watch that car 24/7 - put it in secure storage :cool:

Jim

12. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Well the truck should be done tomorrow so one more night in mt vernon. I want to thank everyone that helped out. I've said it before and I'm sure I will say it again, the H.A.M.B. is the best web site going. Now if only I could find something to do to kill the next 24 hours.

13. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Well just chased off 2 gentleman looking at my car for to long, they said they were preachers, but I did not like the way the older one was looking at my car and talking about the lock on it and saying it needs a car parked in front of it.

14. 67goingthing

67goingthing

There are worse places to be stranded. Just be thankful you didn't break down in East St. Louis.

15. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Yeah I know, then I would not sleep at all. Im just glad there cameras here. I also have my camera so I can take pics also.

16. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Good Luck. wish you were near me. :):)

17. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

wish you were near me. :):)

18. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Its getting repaired now. So hopefully tomorrow I will be home.

19. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

hey dieselc...just saw this again--Glad yur making progress. Hope ya git yur truck back soon.
    Rock

20. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy

I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I was in Mt Vernon friday and sat. I could have aleast got your car and trailer to a safe place ,thought it would have been 40 miles away.If you are still stranded towards the end of the week give me a call. I can get you a flywheel and a warm place to install it as well as helping you do the work.

My cel# is 217-841-3595 if you still need help. Please feel free to call.

21. bigsam63

bigsam63

The car is SWEET and hope you get your truck done and get home safe.

22. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Thanks, I cant wait to get home and start on the roadster.

Hey thats ok good lookin out though, hoping to be on the road tomorrow afternoon, but I will keep the number just in case.

By the way if anyone is ever in cincinnati let me know, I will buy the beers.

23. I just saw this thread today.
    That's right down the road from me.
    Good to hear the problem is being fixed.
    I am taking a bike trip past Cinci this summer.
    Too bad I didn't get a chance to help to earn the beer.

24. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Let me know when your in town, by the way is there anything to do in this town. Ive been stuck in this hotel for a couple days.

25. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I'm 2 hours away if you need tools or anything.

26. I do know that House Of Hunan had good chinese food.
    There used to be all you can eat crab legs at the airport a few years ago, but I don't know if they still do it.
    There was an AMC dealer that for many years had some Studebakers on display including a supercharged Hawk, but I hear that they have been sold.
    I don't know much beyond that. I only stop in every now and then.

HEY WAIT! There is a longtime Harley dealer who has a lot of antique bikes and antique cars including a Duesenburg. It is near the south edge of town. I believe it's where Rt 37 enters from the south.

The last time I was there to look around, he had some bikes from the teens or twenties, thirties, forties, some 1950's mostly Harleys, and one or two Evel Knevel jump bikes he saved.
    Ask around for the old Harlley dealer. He has a museum thats fun to visit.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  27. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Theres word that my truck will be done at 5 this afternoon, check out time is 20 min. away so that leaves 6 hours to kill. My car is in the parking lot I have some luggage here and need to find something to do. Gonna see about the harley dealer museum, don't think thats 6 hours of time though.

28. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Ok well the museum closed, now Im at a loss for things to do.

29. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

That bike muesum was a damn good one. Wheels of Time--Dale (I forget his last name) It's in the smokey mountains somewhere now--Mt Vernon wouldnt treat him right so he sold his Harley dealership and moved on. Aint nothing to do around here- cept wait fer spring,LOL. I wouldnt let that sweet roadster outa eyesite if I was you-just bide yur time til the truck is done. Good luck deiselc, hope yur build goes less eventfull than yur trip gettin it home has been-----ya know ya gotta start a thread here on it when ya start buildin it.......
    Rock

30. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

I decided that Im just going to hang here. I already have not slept good worried about someone pulling up and stealing it, I would probably just want to get back here and keep an eye on it anyways.