Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are these and when were they used?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ltlgto, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Ltlgto

Ltlgto

I'm buying a 56 210 Post and while looking at it I saw these on the rear springs. Are they E/T slapper bars, traction bars ? Should there be rubber bumpers on the ends? What is the time frame that these were used?
    The car also has a front spreader bar between the frame and leaf spring mounts on the spreader and frame. A past straight axle racer maybe?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. Yes...there should be rubber bumpers on the ends. The ones I remember were fabricated out of welded steel. Thoes in the photo look to be castings. I wonder if they has issues with the casting's?

3. filthy frank

filthy frank

what about the rest of the car ?those slaper bars need to be adjusted to snub up against the front leaf spring hanger.

4. blt2go

blt2go

those are some cool traction bars or slappers as you say. i've never seen cast either. should be worth something to someone building a vintage gasser if you're not going to run 'em.

5. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Man, I've seen a lot of traction bars in my time, but nothing like that. Gotta be rare.

6. Looks to me like you have what was an old straight axle gasser at one time.See if you can find out some race heritage from the area you got it from.

7. Ltlgto

Ltlgto

That's kind of what I'm hoping it is. It's 99% complete with a lot of parts in boxes. I had posted ealier about being torn between a 55 (my dream car) and a 56 (this one). I sold my 38 Chevy Coupe and this looked to be to good of a deal to pass up. I think I'll be pretty happy putting this back together. I hope to find something under the primer. It comes with a 327, 194 camel humps and a (hopefully) Super T-10.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. chevy2inreno

chevy2inreno
    from Reno, Nv.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ET slapper bars on the back and 48/54 Chev pickup spring mounts on the front it looks like.

A lot of those "straight axle" tri 5 Chevs back when had pretty much that same set up. Axle, springs, shackles and brackets out of a 50 something pickup or early van scabbed under them without making big modifications to the original frame. That looks like one of them.

10. Ltlgto

Ltlgto

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm another long time drag racer that has never seen a set like that. Got to be pretty rare. I'd keep and use them or at least use them as trading materiel for something you really need.

Frank

12. After checking out all the photos, I believe the box tubeing at the front of the frame was probably to brace the horns for a tow bar. Most of us in the early 60's didn't have trailers, and flat towed our gassers to the track. I flat towed my '56 all over Jersey, PA and Maryland for 3 years.

13. vernmotor

vernmotor
    from ohio

I been racing 30 years and never seen a set of cast ones..thats pretty wild.

14. Ltlgto

Ltlgto

I don't think that's what it is for because there are spring mounts on the spreader and in line with spring mounts on the frame. Unless they could still use the spreader for flat towing that way.

The E/T bars must be the proverbial "hens teeth". :D

15. Ltlgto

Ltlgto

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Those are Bad Ass, going to have to try my hand at making a set useing flat stock

17. Ltlgto

Ltlgto

Ballz!!! They went for $408 + shipping.