Register now to get rid of these ads!

Maiden Voyage in my 50!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swiss50chevy, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Im so damn happy, first voyage in the 50 chevy. I just got finished putting 3 speed floor shifter in her this weekend and rigged a fuel tank. Been wrenching and welding on her for about a year now. I knew today was the day. So I got home after work, filled her up and cranked her over, popped into 1st and off we went(after about 8 tries:()...it was amazing. Drove her outta the shop(30 ft) and then back:D:D:D. I was surprised not one leak from the 216 stovebolt:eek:. Unfortunately the brakes didnt like i had thought.

Interested to hear about everyone else's "maiden voyages"

2. hvychvy

hvychvy

Sweeeeet,congrats!!I'll never forget the first time in my old model a.It was overheating,and spewing oil everywhere,but it was awesome feeling, it finally move on its own.I was so stoaked,and worked on it like a mad man after that till she was road worthy.

3. awbrown

awbrown
    from Detroit MI

My first maiden voyage was with a 70 GTO , I worked on it all fall in the back of a farm building , on top of a pile of dirt... after getting the engine and tranny in , the driveshaft shortened , and eveything hooked up .. after I got the engine fired and aired up the tires it lurched forward and around the building it went .. A little more air in the tires and it did its first burnout ... What a day and what a feeling !!!! that was 30 years ago ...

4. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Awesome Swiss!!! I remember my first voyage around the block. After 8 years of working on the car--between moving from Texas to Indiana and just not having the time or money or a place to work on it. All of my work is done outside on a slab when the weather is decent. But now things are rollin' right along. Here is a video I shot after I got it going enough to drive--Notice No tail lights or exhaust, just open headers. Sooo much fun..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohg9MjQG1xU

5. ezombie

ezombie

Congrats lets see some pics

6. aldixie

aldixie

Congrats, That first drive is always amazing. Makes up for all of the busted and skinned knuckles.

7. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

Oh man I'm weird about taking the first drive. Like my '49 ford I just did (full-blown frame off) it was ready to roll for weeks but I had to wait for the "right time" to start the resurrection. I'm a little superstitious.

What I do is find the perfect day where nothing bad happens, felling good, nice weather, etc. and then go out for a long drive far away from my house that night.
    I won't (intentionally) take any tools with me, except for ones left laying around inside it, for fear of a jinx.