Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering u-joint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Babyburr, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Babyburr

Babyburr
    from Hurst, TX

Here is my situation. I have a corvair steering box with a smooth shaft (5/8), and 3/4 DD on column. Does anyone make a u-joint that will connect the column to the box?

Thanks for any and all answers

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

3. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

did you check the column companies? if not, make an adapter

4. i believe the corvair box has 5/8-36 splines , so that u-koint should work

5. Master of None

Master of None

What is the column out of? if its a GM with a 3/4 in shaft its actually a little smaller than 3/4. flaming river and idiot columns are a true 3/4 so make sure you don't interchange them.

6. Babyburr

Babyburr
    from Hurst, TX

That's pretty cool. I may have met you. I was a school teacher a one of the Elementary schools.

7. Babyburr

Babyburr
    from Hurst, TX

My box has 5/8 smooth shaft.

8. HotRod33

HotRod33

the shaft may have had the splines cut off... If that is the case you can get a new shaft with splines or take the universal joint with splines and put it in a lathe and have it bored out smooth.. then you will have to drill some small pilot holes in the steering shaft for the set screws in the universal joint to lock into.... then you will be depending on two small set screws to steer your car..... some people will tell you that you can weld it on ... I wouldn't do that either..... get a different steering box your life or someone else's is not worth trying to run something that isn't safe......

9. bct

bct

probably a corvair box w/ long shaft that has been cut off....some came long w/splines at the steering wheel and some came with a splined stub....sorry i can't help with a solution ...the corvair box i'm gonna use has the long shaft and i havn't figured a way to adapt it yet without sleeving and rose/plug welding

10. Depending on how much shaft you have showing you may be able to have it machined to a Double D. I did that with a long shaft Mustang box that had a damaged shaft. BTW, Indexing is important.

11. bct

bct

is there a 5/8 double D?

12. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

if your into a little fab'n you could make one of these work. one end is 3/4 double d, design, the other is 5/8s double d, design (that you could open one side up) they both utilize pinchbolts to tighten. there on ebay all the time.

george

Attached Files:

13. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

A competent machinist could spline your existing shaft, but it may be pricey. I would suggest IF you decide to machine it to a Double D make sure to leave a radius at the root - you don't want a stress concentration on a steering component.

YMMV

14. bct

bct

good to know...i would have never thought of it....THANKS

15. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

16. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

check out speedway, borgeson for their 3/4DDx17mmDD .i was faced with the same deal. i believe 17mm is correct but check with them to be sure it is really close to 5/8. just grind down the corvair shaft into a DD, take it slow so make sure you don't take too much and do it evenly ie the full inch or so the universal slides on. i found the best luck doing a little on each side until it slides on.

17. chop32

chop32

!7mm = .669", 5/8" = .625"

18. 40chevythrowensparks

40chevythrowensparks

if the 5/8 is smooth then get a 5/8 to 3/4 dd and then weld the 5/8 to the box shaft...i am pretty sure they have that adapter

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

no need to machine a shaft to DD, you can do it with a grinder.