Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buying an engine help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kaboom, Jan 22, 2010.

1. kaboom

kaboom
    from STL, Mo

Im going to look at a 409 w motor today. From what I understand, the heads are off but the bottom-end is complete. The guys says he thinks its out of a 1965 truck. What things do I need to look for to determine the condition of the engine such as: wear and tear, proper maintenance, and possibly mileage? Im only 20 so I dont have the necessary funds to do a complete rebuild.

Also what would be a price range for that motor.

Thanks in advanced

2. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

What you really need is an experienced friend who can point to things and have you feel things to get a sense of condition. If you had more time I'd suggest looking in the library for pictures of engine wear and damage so you would know what you're looking at.

A 409 is not going to be cheap to rebuild when compared to something like a 350 Chevy. The parts just aren't that cheap to come by.

Call someone local who knows motors. That's your best bet.

3. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

I didn't know 409's came in 1965 trucks,...maybe 3/4 or 1 ton originally?

4. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

The truck engines were 348s. The 409 only came in cars. :confused:

5. squirrel

squirrel

series 80 trucks got them. not pickups.

6. brad chevy

brad chevy

before you even consider the engine get the numbers off the block and find out exactly what it is,like someone else said,it didn"t come in truck unless special ordered!and as OLDSUB said,parts ain"t cheap!

7. squirrel

squirrel

Series 80 trucks weren't "special order", they're just real big.

8. squirrel

squirrel

QD QE QJ are the suffix codes for 1965 truck 409 engines

9. igorw

igorw

The first thing I'd look at are the sides of the block just below the deck surface, the most common places to find cracks.

10. kaboom

kaboom
    from STL, Mo

Does anyone have a good website to look up casting numbers? Both heads and block.

11. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Since the heads are already off the engine, determining that it is in fact a 409 and not a 348 can be accomplished with a dollar store tape measure.

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Not trying to be funny .Your user name is Kaboom ..And you want to buy an engine .And thats scary .My only advise is Do the research and make sure it is a 409 ,Make sure its complete and price a full rebuild .Those motors are not cheap .My 2 cents ........Another question what is this motor gonna be used in .

14. the last 3 65' 409's i looked at were in busses.

15. kaboom

kaboom
    from STL, Mo

The guy never called me back. My concern was that it was a truck motor and was the LOW compression 250 HP.

Crazycarjohn- It is going in a 31 Model A Sedan

16. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Don't give up on the motor. If it is a truck block, you will know since the heads are off. A truck block has TWO valve reliefs in each chamber as a car only has one valve relief per cylinder. Do not worry about this, you will build (buy pistons, etc.) the motor accordingly some day. Even if the motor does have the low performance heads, I would not let the motor get away, you don't find 409's laying all over now.

Guys are asking crazy prices out there such as $2,500 plus for a truck block and $3,500 plus for a car block......Just my opinion, way over priced, however; it will give you an idea......

You need the oil pan, timing chain cover, distributor, etc. as these items are unique to a 'W' motor.....

As mentioned above, check out the 348-409 site......

17. power58

power58

muscle car review did a clone build of a 409 425 HP. They used a 409 truck block and had a photo of the extra machining in the bore to reduce compression. This was only done on truck blocks. As most engines were made in the millions, 348's 409's were only made in the 100,000's not alot in mass production. hope you can get the engine, no matter what others say, it's a cool engine.

18. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

If it doesnt work out ,Consider a pontiac .409 Are cool ,Just out of my price range ......

19. That's only applicable to 348s; see below.

Earlier 348 big truck blocks: 2 notches
    348 passenger car blocks: 1 notch
    409 big truck blocks: 1 notch
    409 passenger car blocks: 0 notches

The truck w-engines were only installed in the large chassis trucks. They were not installed in C10s and the like.

20. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

KABOOM...SON if you can't afford an overhall, STAY completely away from that engine...POP.