Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 F-100 w/390 is alive and running

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mattybear, Jan 23, 2010.

1. mattybear

mattybear

new video on youtube..let me know if it doesnt work
    After sitting for over 15 years and only firing on 5 cylinders when i bought it,my '59 is a whole lot healthier. Gave it a full tune up and changed the fluids and now just need to fine tune the carb and decide what kind of mufflers to use.
    I have a pair of purple hornies header mufflers but was wondering if turbo mufflers or something else would give it a lower rumble and tone. I have never worked on fords much less one with a 390 in

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7vOKfCpZvEs&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7vOKfCpZvEs&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

dee link, dee link; need to fix dee link

3. mattybear

mattybear

new video link, should work this time.
    sorry about the dead link earlier

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

sounds good to me!! Nice rumble!

5. mattybear

mattybear

yeah i love the sound now but the mic on my camera didnt pick up just how loud it is. In my area it will have to be a bit quieter at idle or street cruising speeds or I will get ticketed for sure.

Found out today I wont be able to use the bolt on header mufflers unless I make up some extension pipes off the collectors. It has a C6 and they hit the tranny pan.

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

What frontend are you running? Stock?

I'm putting a 460/C6 in my 59 f100 and was thinking I'd have to do the rear sump conversion on it to miss the Camaro clip I'm putting in it.

7. mattybear

mattybear

mine has rear sump
    stock front end, farmer built engine mount and crossmember
    also has steering column from a 66 that had powersteering so the tierod ends are also an interesting custom bent job. Bad thing is I have a bad tie rod end and need to decide exactly how I want to set up the steering when I fix it.

8. willymakeit

willymakeit

In the 70's we ran long Cherry Bombs. Sounds good.

9. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

BEAR...I.like that old truck. yea i had a 59 with a pontiac engine, a realy sick 1 ! HA! man would loved to have a 390 ford mill. man i would kill for a 59 like your's humm just where exactly do you live! HA!...POP.

10. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Sounds good. Looks good. Love these fridge trucks !!!

What are your plans from here?

11. What, no burnout? Sounds pretty good though......

12. mattybear

mattybear

well a burnout on those old tires would not have amounted to much plus it is at a friends place of business..ie..not an automotie shop and there were customers around.

I am smack dab in the middle of iowa and kinda lucked out when I found it on craigs list. I guess small town Iowa people dont realise how cool these trucks are. I dealt with the seller for over 3 weeks and drove the hour to look at it 3 times before I finally bought it.....for a grand...and that was with it exactly as you see it now.

My plans are to stick with the white and black that this old custom cab came with originally but it will be a little different spin on how it originally looked. Will be mostly satin black with pearl white scallops and red pinstriping as far as the paint goes. And I bought a set of '33 spoke rims that have been widened and cut down to 15". they currently have vintage 60s rubber on them but although they hold air they are hard as rocks.

My recent purchase is a set of black low back bucket seats from a 65 chevelle that I will be getting recovered. And hope to find a 3 spoke steering wheel since the diameter of the original one is too much.

13. I like it, sounds like a plan.......they also look good lowered just a bit...

14. mattybear

mattybear

goin low budget for now...it may get lowered in the future

I dont have my own shop or the mechanical knowledge to lower it so I would have to pay to get it done.

So for right now I will deal with the high stance and drive the hell out of it.

15. Good job! Stick with it. I bet you can lower it your self. Its just bigger hardware.
    Sounds great!

16. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

good work man, i just hab a thought seeing the skinny white walls some astors would look perty cool on threre with the right stance

17. mattybear

mattybear

the 15" spokes that I need to get cleaned up already have 4" wide vinyl tires up front and firestone cheaters in the back so with those on it will have a bit of a gasser look to it. Though I would never call it a gasser by any means.

18. mattybear

mattybear

thanks for the heads up on porters, i will check out the site.

19. mattybear

mattybear

Im gonna guess you mean astros...

And i have always liked the look of 5 spoke mags in fact i have had several cars in the past that I ran Cragar s/s wheels on.

I am just looking to do something with a little less chrome. The spoke rims I have are going to be cleaned up then painted satin black to match the truck and I will be running the stainless trim rings with bullet lugnuts.

20. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

FE's rule...congrats.

21. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

lookin good and congrats on gettin it running right !

22. Hey chaddilac,

A local guy here is running a Comaro front end with a 460 in his F-1. He used the rear sump pan from Summit, fit like it was born there.