Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pokey, Jan 22, 2010.

1. pokey

pokey

When it comes to a Edelbrock carb how do you adjust the secondaries. How do you make them come in. Is there a spring someplace? How is it done? I am talking about a 600 cfm electric choke model.

2. esfoder

esfoder
    from Oregon

They have weights on them But don't trim to much can't go back.

Dusty

3. pokey

pokey

Where are these weights at?

4. what is going on that you think you need to make some adjustments to your carb?

5. pokey

pokey

When I floor it I don't hear the four barrel open up

6. Ralph

Ralph

7. R Pope

R Pope

There's a choke interlock mechanism that prevents the secondaries from opening if the choke is on at all, check that it is working right.

8. what sound are you expecting to hear?

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't "hear" them open up either.

They are opened up by vacuum. If there is not sufficient vacuum, they don't open. The throttle linkage opens the butterflies for the secondaries, but the air valve flaps keep them closed until engine demand requires them. The flaps are counter-weighted shut.

I have to say that I have never heard of, or had to make modifications to the weights, or the secondaries at all, for that matter.

Stick for finger down the secondaries and push on the flaps. See if they move freely.

10. 56Chevy4Dr

56Chevy4Dr
    from Texas

BBRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUU!!!!!!!!

I could not resist,

scotty t and Deuces like this.
  11. RatRoy

RatRoy

There's a choke interlock mechanism that prevents the secondaries from opening if the choke is on at all, check that it is working right.

Is this true also with a manual choke? I have a carb backfire sometimes when the engine is not completely warmed up. It seems like a lean mixture backfire. :confused:

12. Sounds like somebody has been running a Rochester 4bbl for too long!-MIKE:eek::D

13. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

On Thursday it was a Holly 600 & car was running so good it would "peel rubber" when shifting.Not sure what the story is????

14. pokey

pokey

You will have to pay better attention, The 600 Holley is running good, very good. It is on my 1940 street rod, We are talking about an Edelbrock 600 here this car is a 1961 Studebaker hawk. I have more then one car so I ask questions on specific carb models. "Pay attention ok".

The Holly has a spring diapham I know how to adjust that carb, I don't know how to make the secondaries come in sooner on the Edelbrock. I have a Edelbrock tuning kit. It has these metering rods, springs and jets in it. They are so small how do you know what makes the changes you want, the rods where used on the 55 Chevy when it would not pull out smooth we changed the metering rods and springs and it corrected the problem. I would like this Stude to have a better top end excelleration.

15. 340Fish

340Fish

Basically, airflow just "blows" the secondaries open on that carb. By changing the weights, would you not just be letting the butterflies open before there is enough air velocity to draw fuel from the bowls? I've never had to adjust the weights on the secondaries but I can see this leading to jetting and possibly other headaches.

Good thread! Hope to learn something here!

16. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

Mine runs rich at idle,,I need the softer springs.I think the blue ones. I guess I can get a kit off ebay.
    Oh,,and the engines vaccuum opens those top flaps.

Thread Starter,,Please explain your relationship with Gumby.

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not true for anything but a SBC, and sometimes not even then. IF you think you should be able to bolt on a carb out of the box and it be right you may be delusional. :eek:

First off, always, yes ALWAYS, open her up and check to see she is clean and the floats are adjusted correctly. Then bolt her on and tune to the specific engine. The kits are available at just about any decent parts store as well as online.

18. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I run Eddies on both my cars and run them quite hard. The sound I think you want to hear is when the old Quadrajet secondaries opened up, I have never heard that sound come out of an Eddie and due to carb design, never will. To get that "old time Quadrajet" sound you will need to switch carbs or be happy with the one you have. I would never want to start grinding material from the counter weights, it might lead to other issues that you might never eliminate. Just my two cents.

19. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

how does it perform? performance means a lot more to me than sound, have fun

20. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Zman is correct, they don't always work correctly right out of the box. I've been lucky, I have bought and installed seven of them, only one of them had a minor issue which was resolved by changing needles and springs. I have seen another guys that when new had misadjusted floats. So like he said, pull the top, check for proper float settings and also be sure you have matching springs and needles and that it's clean.
    Good luck

21. pokey

pokey

Yes, I agree. They all need some kind of adjustment. Weather it's a holley, Edelbrock or summit carb. I have all of them on my cars. I went out this morning and changed the metering rod and spring in the Edelbrock and it becamwe worse. I changed it back and advanced the timing and I think I got what I wanted out of the carb. Who ever said that sound comes from a quadrajet is right I have not heard that sound from any of these modern aftermarket carbs, what I did hear was the passing gear coming in. Thanks all we live and learn:rolleyes:

22. pokey

pokey

If I told you....you know:cool:

23. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

Sorry but I don't see ANYWHERE it says the Edelbrock is on a Stude!!

24. pokey

pokey

Oh boy, there is always one in the bunch.

I am sure you have seen the stude at the "holy Donut" or maybe you could not see it. They are said to be invisible, Right.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      276.1 KB
      Views:
  25. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

POKEY...that first thing you do is open it up is crap! it's brand new for pete's sake. i ran AFBs in the 60s, and the edelbrocks are an even better knock off. the secondary butter fly's are mechanicly opend and vacume feeds them. the only sound you should listen for is the tires burning! HA!...POP.

26. mj40's

mj40's

X3 for ZMAN. I have never had one that I didn't have to adjust the floats. Thank you UPS!

I have alsways heard the rumor that these carbs are tuned for Calif. sea level from the factory. Is this true? Because mine always seem to run on the rich side but way better than lean.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, these days, I pull the top and check everything out, including the float level, as a rule, before it even gets anywhere near the car. The float level may have been set right at the factory, but after my local UPS crew gets done with it, I am lucky it is still in a box, and in one piece.

28. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Yo POP, you obviously must not use them nowadays. Just call direct to Edelbrock, Holley, or any carb place you want and ask them if they ever have to tell someone who is calling the tech line for help on a new carb, that they will have to open it up and check something. It happens all the time. Call them...you'll see. There is only so much quality control that goes into a production based product, and unfortunatly it is not 100%. I've had carbs and parts from both Holley and Edelbrock come directly to my shop that were BAD. Some soo bad that you'd never believe it. I've had metering blocks come WITHOUT the threads tapped in them for the mixture screws, had one come with on jet hole not threaded. I've had floats that were either too low, too high, or even both. I have had some Edelbrocks come that the metering rods were bent!! YES BENT. I will say that every time I've had an issue I was treated excellant and both companies stood behind everything. Holley actually sent me some extra bulk packs of gaskets to make up for my troubles!!!

As for the Edelbrock being a better "knock off" carb then Carter... not really. I've had much more problems to fix/solve on the Edelbrocks than I've ever had with the Carters. If you take the Carter competition series versus the Edelbrock, the Carter would win hands down. On AFB "style" carb secondaries, the throttle plates are mechanical, but the secondary funtion is vacuum controled. They function exactly like a Qjet does, but the Qjet is much easier to tune/adjust.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

again a clueless post. Yes the first thing you do is open it up. Check to make sure the floats are correct, more than half the time they are not. Maybe due to being manhandled during shipping, or maybe the parts guy shook the box. Another thing is a lot of them seem to still have crap from the manufacturing process. Just because you have no idea about any of this thing don't just misinform people. They need to be checked prior to installation or your doing it half assed.

30. pokey

pokey

I must say and we are now talking about the holley from a previous post. I wanted to return it, the first thing the tech told me to do is check the float because of shipping. He then told me that I would have to talk to Holley and he gave me a number. I called and the tech at holley told me to check a couple of things. The first being the float, second air/fuel screws on the side. Then he requested that I check for vacum leaks. If all checks out he said to call summit and arrange for a return. The guy at summit said that if I return it and they find that nothing is wrong I own it and it would be returned. The bottom of the carb was loose and after tighting it the carb idles fine and ran great, I also opened the dist. vacum diapham and the car overall excellarated better. End of that story.

When it comes to the Edelbrock, it runs or idles good. It excellarates ok. This is on a Studebaker and as you know they start out in second gear. I know alot of you guy's don't know that so I am making it known. The flight-o-matic is a two speed trans. The only time it will start out in first is if you drop it in "L" then shift to drive.