Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blown away at Russo and Steele in Scottsdale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by palosfv3, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Warbird7

Warbird7

The Tucker was under one of the tents that went down at the time the video below was shot. It appears to be in one of the two car display tents that went down. You can see the inside of one of the tents what it looked like before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FW8xTEy18Y

2. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

3. Name calling shows very little ability to convey a thought.Sorry for your hebetude,sir but my comment is not ignorant.I take responsibility for my actions.If I can go in and safely secure my property I should be allowed to do so.I can certainly ascertain if the situation is safe enough for me to do what I can to avoid severe,irreversible damage to my property. Not to diminish the ability of construction workers,but I know that I would take far more care of the property that they would.
    Maybe you have had to go in to recover some dufus that got himself into trouble.That was his perrogative.He should have to face the consequenses of his actions.You do not have to do the job you do.Let me make my own decisions and pay for them if they go wrong.Perhaps you are omniscient and know everything,more power to you.I say,if you need to secure your property after a catastrophy you should not have to confront Barney Phyffe who THINKS he knows better than you.It would take very little effort to cover those vehicles.They are more than just some property.Now, you can go back to your childish name calling..

4. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

Ouch. :(

5. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

The worst thing about all of this is that everybody's insurance company will deny liability.

Something about "act of God".

Insurance dosen't lessen the pain but it makes the bad times "less bad".

I feel for every car owner/potential buyer.

6. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Just watched R&S owner on TV here in Phoenix. Seems like he dosen't understand cars and car owners. I hope this is his last auction. I would never show up or use his auction for any of my cars

7. marfen

marfen
    from sask

There are a lot of great, great, important historical cars at Russo Steele this year. I feel really, really bad for all involved. I hope you folks can get in there soon, that's crazy they won't let you in to cover up, close hoods, and try and prevent anymore damage. Man, if I was remotely close I'd be there to help out. Thank God, there wasn't any serious injuries/fatalities.

8. I imagine that there will be a few owners who come out better with insurance than they would have at the auction. I don't think "acts of God" will be the weasel clause that everyone thinks. Wind, Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Floods are all acts of God. The collector car insurance companies will be very careful of their reputations as this is a specialized industry.
    Just my opinion.

9. dagenesta

dagenesta

10. Geez Larry, I feel awful for you. ( also for everyone else whos car got damaged ) I hope that the FRENCH WHORE did'nt get damaged by mother nature and you have a sucessful trip. Good luck buddy, Mike.

11. Well one more try to see my car at 6:00 and still turned away. Not too big a deal. I did my due diligence to protect my property . I was fortunate to get a little good news . Rumor has it the Facel came out this relatively unscathed. I still have not been able to confirm but thanks to HAMBER Wayne Graeffen for his thoughtfulness. Tenatively plans as of right now are the owners are to be allowed on the site at 8:00 am to inspect things and a large meeting will take place shortly afterwards. They are talking about resuming the auction on Sunday and Monday.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

12. really hope the best for ya......I wouldnt worry about the "act of God" I had a huge branch fall on my model A in a Oregon storm and the insurance stepped right up,What Ive noticed is alotta buyers have stayed away because of the weather and the news saying how bad things are in the Scottsdale area...........Im watching BJ now and the "buying crowd" is very light

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I don't know why some of you guys think acts of God aren't covered. :rolleyes:

14. skullhat

skullhat

acts of god are covered under comprehensive...i wouldnt worry about them trynig to weasel...

my sympathies to those who have to go through this with their cars

skull

15. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Larry, man I hope your car (and all of the others) comes out of this ok. I'm speechless

16. Special Ed

Special Ed

We still have several vacant lots from homes burned to the ground from wildfires over twelve years ago, nearby. The lots are vacant because of the "Act of God" clause in their insurance. Some fires, floods, and other catastrophes are NOT covered unless your insurance policy states it.
    I know, I know... we're talking about automobile insurance, and I do hope those cars that received damage DO have comprehensive, and ARE covered. But it is naive to just assume that every one of them is going to come out with a satisfactory outcome. Insurance companies wouldn't be in business for very long if they paid for everything we think they should...Insurance companies are in business to make money, not lose it.

17. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

The thing I'll be interested in seeing, and I think someone mentioned it already, is the cars that have been sold. New owners haven't had time to get them insured.

That said, I hope everyone comes out with as minimal damage as possible.

18. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hope this is the end to outdoor tent shows. Gary

20. PalosFV3 Larry has y'all well covered with insider info here. I was pleased to deliver the news to he and the owner of the 300F Special that their cars appeared "okay!" from one of the Russo staff members on Friday through a phone relay.

A moment ago I got a call direct from that staff member that there are 200+ undamaged cars that will begin auction at 10am tomorrow morning (Sunday). Owners only on the property today. No public.

This has been a very difficult time but is being handled very professionally by everyone involved.

21. Larry T

Larry T

[QUOTE.......A moment ago I got a call direct from that staff member that there are 200+ undamaged cars that will begin auction at 10am tomorrow morning (Sunday)........[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, how many cars were consigned to the sale to start with?
    Larry T

22. El Gordo

El Gordo

6 seconds in - isn't that the Little Red Wagon wheel stander??

Some serious pole damage on some cars:(

23. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

damn shame for sure Russo & Steele runs a good auction they have a reserve minus the clown show

my friend Larry was going to bid on the Black 50 Olds 88 coupe i told him about, he said it would of been damaged most likely

he called me once they got out of the tent, they were on the freeway when the 2nd tent went down

24. I think thats the second rate phony street legal A100 that was at gooodguys back a couple of months ago.......

25. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Just out of curiosity, how many cars were consigned to the sale to start with?
    Larry T[/QUOTE]

well Larry i got a Pocket Guide from Russo & Steele in the mail

it says there are over 600 cars to be auctioned

26. aircoup

aircoup

i just hope that we ,as car owners and builders cankeep our heads and opinions where they belong DONT LETYOUR MOUTH OVERRIDE YOUR BRAIN ,'

27. swi66

swi66

If I had a car there, and it was undamaged, I 'm pretty sure I would pull it from the auction as I bet a lot of the buyers have headed for home, and many probably will not be there.
    I think now it is a buyer's market at this auction.
    A damaged car?
    even a small dent would kill its value.

28. patch

patch

This is such a drag to see ... just got off of the Russo Steele website and looked through their consignment list ... Gene Winfield's "Maybellene" was on the list to be auctioned off tonight. Anyone know if the car was there and if so I'm wondering if it's okay.

Attached Files:

29. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Larry:

Hope the Facel fairs okay. It would seem to me that this situation will put quite a damper on the auction from this point. I certainly hope they can pull the whole affair off in a satisfactory manner. You have our best wishes from Chicago. Stu

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I've got Grundy and I am covered for up to 30 days for any new classic car I purchase without even having to call Grundy to tell them I just bought something. Of course I am a current customer.

If I was a bidder without having a current policy with any collector car insurer I would immediantly head over to one of the insurance companies on site (they are all located on site) the minute the hammer went down OR I would have prearranged it with one of the companies before I left home.

Just because the hammer went down though, I'm not sure exactly who owns the car. I would imagine that the tranfer of ownership happens when the car is actually paid for and might still be owned by the seller even after it was successfully actioned off.

Yes it was there along with the Milk Truck both owned by a guy named Larry. I have not heard if they are damaged or not.
    Milk Truck
    http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/4d0560a2#/4d0560a2/36

Maybelline
    http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/4d0560a2#/4d0560a2/66

From what we were told today from R&S peeps the auction will take place both Sunday and Monday. There were ALOT of people loading their cars up and hauling them out but there still looked like a LOT left on the showfield.

Here's the link to Larry's Facel Vega for those that haven't seen the car. Absolutely breathtaking. Fingers crossed everything is OK and it will action tomorrow or Monday and obtain at least it's reserve.
    http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/4d0560a2#/4d0560a2/31

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010