Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

I found this picture of John Barkley's 1968 Winternationals 57 Chevy. The picture was shot at OCIR and is part of the pictures taken by Car Craft for there article on Junior Stockers

Attached Files:

2. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

His name is actually Joe Koch, but I think he likes the "cook" pronounciation. HE was a prior owner of the Mouse Trap '61 Belair I recently sold back to the guy who ran it around '70. Joe is quite an artist. All the "decals" on that '66 are painted on!!
    Verne:)

3. Keith Berg

Keith Berg

Who was the guy from Carpenteria, Ca. that race a 57 supercharged Ranchero. I think his name was Marcel or something like that. He was originally from Oklahoma City I believe. The 1st time I met him was at the Nationals Great Bend, Kansas. He was runner up to the the car I was with from Tulsa 1957 red & white 210 2dr with a F.I. I think it was around 1958 or 59 and they were turning in the low 13's.

4. Keith Berg

Keith Berg

When Paul and I ran the 55 at Ontario in 1971 we qualified around 31 in the field. The car was just very lazy on the top end. I don't know if we ever improved on that qualifiying #. But after trying several things I took the Accell Distributor, coil, and resistor to Accell's truck to check it ou.t Tuned out the resistor was bad. The car came back to life and everything else is history.

5. cb3961:
    I can speak for what chrysler racers did. Chrysler came out with a platinum tip point set which had a contact area about 1/4 of what a regular set of points had. All the chrysler dual point set ups were in a cast iron housing instead of the aluminum used for the single point set up. We use to set the distributors up in a Sun scope that would spin it up to 3500 RPM {7000} engine RPM. You could modify your advance curve so that it was "all in" by 2800 Rpm. Usually there was no point bounce,but if you did incounter it we used a small piece of foam rubber that was put between both the stationary arms of the points and the one that opened and closed. We also used a Mallory coil which was hotter than the stock Chrysler. You have to remember this was before Accel coils and distributors. If you could afford to spend about $120.00 in the late 50's early '60's then you could by a Mallory dual point distributor ,but that was in the days when you only made $ 75.00 a week.
    Chrysler finally came out with a Trans-Ignitor ignition system in '65 that used a control module that mounted on the fire wall but it still used the platinum points. In about '69 they came out with the early version electronic distributor that had a no contact magnetic probe that gapped at .008 . That is basically what the Chrysler performance set up is now but it has been really improved on since the early versions.

Dom

6. 67goingthing

67goingthing

I remember seeing this car sitting at a gas station in Danville Illinois in 1973 or 74. My Dad and I stopped and looked at it and seems as though it had a McCullough Supercharger.

7. Keith Berg

Keith Berg

I understood that Chrysler had a distributor with dual points, one set with advance to launch the car and other would retard the timing on the top end. Never saw one, only heard about it. Lots of performance in the distributor curve, There was a good article in the Goodguys Magazine a few moths ago regarding the distributor curve and the crappy fuel we have to use these days. I have my own syncrograph and play a lot with the curves on the normally aspirated engines.

8. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

I did the same thing on a 63-1/2 Galaxie ahra O/OA 352+.040 i had Kieth. I set up a high gear retard switch (points on/off) and played around with it. It helped the mph @ 3/4-1, and the et @ .01-.03. I got the idea from an old SS&DI stocker article. I think it was on an east coast (?) 57 Bonneville FI Convert...Passionate Poncho was the car I think.

I was wondering if the early powerglide guys ran ALOT of initial timing in their distributors (i.e.18 initial-38 total). And limited the total mechanical to keep the total where you wanted it...I'd imagine the convertors were "tight" enough back then where it would have made a difference. I used to do that on alot of small block/automatic bracket cars with great results...

Great info on the old MoPar ignitions Dom. Longtime fan, still have the SS&DI from the last NED points meet @70-71 where you guys ran it off with Fred Borcherdt's GTO...I think the car was lettered Seaman & Rinaldi back then...too cool yakkin' it up with you guys !!!

9. Keith Berg

Keith Berg

Now you are picking my brain on the powerglide cars. If I remember right they used a small Opel converter 9" with a stall of anywhere from 1700 to 2300 rpm and they would flash up to 3600rpm. I think Chuck, Tony or possibly Gary Glover would be more exact on the rpm's and total advance in the Junior Stockers. I ran both Rossi and Mav Ripes transmissions having good luck with both. Because of the hi stall and flash the total advance came in very quick, you could set the distributor curve so the engine would start easy when hot and the advance would come in quick.
    I do remember running as high as 38 degrees total in the 56 but is was a SS car.

10. Although he has not posted as yet I want to welcome Vinnie Mayer to the site.
    He has been watching all that has been going on over the past 7 months and finally joined.
    Vinnie was the former driver of my wagon and John Mason's partner driving the "Tomahawker" and driver for George Supinski at times. He was also the starter a Englishtown for a few years. With all that under his belt I am sure that he will be a worthy contributor to our site.

11. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

The 'LIST' is a work in progress CB, and based on member input, I update it (and repost it) from time-to-time. Granted, its 'heavy,' with Division 1 and 7 names, but there are more-than-a-few Division 3 drivers listed ... see (Div 3 racers) cut 'n pasted from the last posting (4681) below.

Bill Abraham (65 Pontiac) NHRA Division 3
    Roger Aho (59 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Bob Bayles (57 Ford) NHRA Division 3
    Dave Boertman (59 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Bob Burch (55 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Burkhardt, Obert & Graham (61 Plymouth) NHRA Division 3
    Bob Burkitt (62 Dodge) NHRA Division 3
    Dick Butler (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Jon Calander (59 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Phil Chisholm (62 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Ed Collier (65 Plymouth) NHRA Division 3
    Phillip Cooper (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Dave Conners (67 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Darrell Davis (62 Dodge) NHRA Division 3
    Bill Ersham (51 Studebaker) NHRA Division 3
    Tom Elk (68 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    John Feistritzer (57 Ford) NHRA Division 3
    Doug Filo (58 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Ron Garey (70 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 3
    Dick Griffin (64 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Bill Hanes (62 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Ted Harbit (51 Studebaker) NHRA Division 3
    Robert Harshbarger (61 Pontiac) NHRA Division 3
    Ron Hewitt (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Hickernell, Sperry & Bolton (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Dick Hilt (61 Pontiac) NHRA Division 3
    Doug Kahl (62 Plymouth) NHRA Division 3
    Bob Kammer (60 Plymouth) NHRA Division 3
    Dallas Kelly (67 Ford) NHRA Division 3
    Dan Kelly (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 3
    Ron Kindel (62 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Kronenbetter & Bare (60 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Dan Kyle (69 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Tom Longnecker (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Ron Marsh (60 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Russ Matthews (60 Buick) NHRA Division 3
    Howard Maselas (62 Pontiac) NHRA Division 3
    Russ Mathews (60 Buick) NHRA Division 3
    Brock & Nelson (55 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Dick Ogles (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Obert & Graham (61 Dodge) NHRA Division 3
    Al & Bev Provoast (60 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Tom Rambo (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Joe Righthouse (69 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Fred Robinson (51 Studebaker) NHRA Division 3
    Sam Shinaberry (52 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 3
    Marlin Snyder (69 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Sam Stockwell (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 3
    Paul Turner (57 Ford) NHRA Division 3
    Arlen Vanke (65 Pontiac) NHRA Division 3
    Lamar Vaubel (55 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Tweed Vorhees (67 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 3
    Newton Wright (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 3
    John Yurkiw (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3

I'd be happy to add more names, just send the (full) names to me via 'private message' or simply post them. Please indicate the 'most notable' car that the driver was associated with ... and the NHRA Division number.

Thanks!
    ... Steve

PS: Greats postings CB ... keep-em-coming!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  12. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

, but there are more-than-a-few Division 3 drivers listed ... see (Div 3 racers) cut 'n pasted from the last posting (4681) below.

Bill Abraham (65 Pontiac) NHRA
    Arlen Vanke (65 Pontiac) NHRA Division 3
    Tweed Vorhees (67 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 3
    John Yurkiw (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3

I'd be happy to add more names, just send the (full) names to me via 'private message' or simply post them. Please indicate the 'most notable' car that the driver was associated with ... and the NHRA Division number.

Thanks!
    ... Steve

WHOA !!!...I didn't make it that far up the posting pages to see the latest list.(started at 1...made it to 20, no time lately to go further...lol). Thanks for posting AND seperating by division, excellent list Steve !!!

I recall a guy from Chagrin Falls, Ohio...Will Stoner...had a '59 Biscayne R/S...it was yellow, named KABLOOEY i believe. He was a 1970 Nationals contestant. No pics of it here tho...CB

13. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

Thanks Kieth....you guys were really fortunate having Marv and all the convertor companies in California at the time. Torque convertor technolgy was really taking off at that time...and Cali companies were on the leading edge...I had a Munsinger in my 65 Nova bracket car...it was bullet proof...lol...

Did you have the Oldsmobiles the same time Keith Hodge from Alabama had his ??? Or were yours before his...I recall Sam Stockwell's cars (his convertible was a sweet one)...there were /are a few of the early 50's Oldsmobiles still running in IHRA stock,...talking withing the last @10 years. Buddy Ingold from NC had a few (for decades), and a fellow from Kentucky has/had one (Stout?).

14. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

His name/car/Division just been added CB ... now just 'stay tuned,' and watch -- I bet an image of 'KABLOOEY' will be posted shortly!

15. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Here's just a few of those killer old Oldsmoblies (from our humble list). And don't ya just luv this caricature rendering of Keith Berg's infamous ride ... watta guy!

[​IMG]

Keith Berg (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 7
    Skip Hacker (52 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 3
    Keith Hodge (52 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 2
    Dan Kelly (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 3
    Long & Teaque (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 4
    Jack Mullins (52 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 4
    Gene Norris (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 2
    Bruce Pritchard (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 1
    Quinn Brothers (55 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 1

Ted Rohde (50 Olds) NHRA Division 6
    Neil Smedley (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 1
    Ojars Smiltnieks (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 2
    Ivars Smiltnieks (52 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 2
    Jerry Stevens (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 3
    Sam Stockwell (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 3
    Johnny Wade (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 2
    Bill Wells (50 Oldsmobile ) NHRA Division 6

Worrel Bros (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division 1

16. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Would you add Bruce Pritchard to the Olds list, Division 1. Bruce held the bottom stock record several times 1963, 64 and 65. He had a 1950 98 coupe automatic.

17. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

i believe his name is marcel d'avignon from carpenteria,CA. these photos were supposedly taken at the 1970 winternationals. maybe someone could check the car numbers to an entry list to see if both of these cars were owned by bill nelson of tucson,AZ? this is fun stuff!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Keith Berg

Keith Berg

That's the man Marcel D'Avignon. I ran into Bill Nelson in Phoniex a couple of years ago. Guess he still runs the Fords but he was attending the NHRA meet as a spectator.
    Jay Hamilton raced a 51 Old convertible { my old tow car} one or 2 years. and in 1960 61 there was a 50 coupe raced out od Bill Service in Manhatten Beach, Ca. by the name of John Rowan Jr. He beat me at my 1st Winternationals 1961.
    To answer your question on Keith Hodge I think he was racing his 52 before I race mine. When NHRA did away with the lower classes I started racing mine.
    Racing Head Service would not sell me a cam because I ran in the same class as they did. Keith Hodges sent me a cam and when I set the record we put Racing Heads Name on it. No trouble getting parts after that. Leo Cannon drove the car most of the 1st year then I soid it to, if I remember right Tony Janes and I think, Tony correct me if I am wrong Paul Dilcher. I know I ran my 50 in the same class as the 52 at the Winternationals and beat Paul on a Hole shot to win class. But only lasted one round of Junior Stock Eliminator

19. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

. Please indicate the 'most notable' car that the driver was associated with ... and the NHRA Division number.

[/QUOTE]

don't recall his number Steve, but Ken Shawver from Defiance, Ohio ran his '55 Chevy in Q/S, before converting it to an IHRA formula stocker when the rules changed (he won a few events with it in IHRA)...as most know he later won the US NATIONALS stock title with his Oldsmobile...CB

20. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

A couple of early Olds racers to be added to the list were Skip Hacker ('52 Olds) and Jerry Stevens ('50 Olds), both from Louisville KY. Skip also raced a '53 Olds in IHRA during the late 70's. Here is a picture of his '53 Olds at the Milan Northern Nationals in 1977.

[​IMG]

21. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

I remember Skip's cars very well now that you jog my memory...a weekly competitor at BLUEGRASS Dragway. Saw him the 3 or 4 times I was there in the 70's....tough competitor, good driver...I'd image that's whose old car was/is still running IHRA today out of Kentucky, it's a red one I believe today...great pic, Thanks for posting !!!...CB

22. colesy

colesy

Tony;
    If you don't mind me asking, how the heck did you come up with a great color photo of Barkley's 57 like that one. Are you saying that the photo was from the 1968 Car Craft Junior Stock Series? There weren't any color photos in those articles. Any more of those lying around? Enquiry minds want to know. :confused:

Attached Files:

23. colesy

colesy

Only in Canada eh?
    Here's one for my fellow Canuckistanians. Bobby Hull (Chicago Blackhawks) verses Eddie Shack (Toronto Maple Leafs) in a grudge match at Mohawk Dragway in the summer of 1966. One sure-fire way to guarantee a good crowd on Sunday. Two of hockey's biggest names in 66 battle it out on the track side by side. No doubt, plenty of beer was consumed afterwards eh? (right after the fight) :D

Attached Files:

24. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

The pictures of John's car are from his photo collection. As far as I know that is the only one from The Car Craft shoot.

25. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

The 2 cars were in the same class at the 1971 Winternationals. You beat Leo Kannon on a hole shot not Paul. Leo and I bought the 52 in 1969. Here is a picture of it along with several other cars at my place around 1971.

Attached Files:

26. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

didn't you make a final round, or win, an AHRA event with the Olds Tony ???...something seems familiar seeing a pic of it againt...really cool to see all these cars again...CB

OH...btw...mention it while I'm thinking about it...I went to the AHRA winters at Bee Line in '71 with a friend of mine and his 221 f-3 N/SA '63 Fairlane...he got runner up at the AHRA Detroit dragway event in '70, inspiring us to head West and see what we could do...we got down to 4 cars in Stock on Sunday, losing to Val Hedworth's T/S 55 4 door wagon. Val got R/U to a '62 Ford in the final.
    On the way out there, late January, we were going through Arkansas and saw Jack Mullins getting on the freeway with his U/S Olds...we followed him to Carlisle Drag-O-Way and raced there that afternoon...Vaughn Currie was there with his SS/BA "Cuda among others...pretty wild memories...btw...my friends son is now IHRA director of competition...CB

27. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

28. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

found more photos, not technically jr stockers but reminiscent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

I sold the Olds to John Ferris in the early seventies and he won an AHRA meet at Fremont with the car.

30. bruce4469

bruce4469
    from California

Nice to read some 39 years later that some dingbat seems to know the story on my HURST Pontiac. I think it is rather unintelligent to talk about something that some one knows absolutely nothing about. Of course with some of his misspelled words, it is easy to figure out just how sharp this person is.