Register now to get rid of these ads!

starbird wichita pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twotallokie, Jan 16, 2010.

1. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Gene and I shared a knowing cringey look at each other as two morons stood at his booth making some completely idiotic comments. I wanted a shirt, but Gene was all out of fat boy size so I got a book from him which he was nice enough to autograph.

I felt instantly cooler having shared 30 seconds of of conversation with Mr. Winfield.

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll look forward to seeing you in Tulsa. I'll be there Multiple days...

3. yblock292

yblock292

Rumor is this is Mics new "Kustom" Good to see you guys!

4. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I was helping a friend set up on thursday and saw the malibu being unloaded and taken into the building. I was completly dumbfounded, and somewhat imbarrassed. this is not the kind of work I want people to see when representing kansas. it had a swastica painted on the other side, prolly why it was up against the wall. very bad taste, that people ,is why we cant beat this kansas hick wrap we get. everytime I go to cali. I get some sort of comment about ks. wizzard of oz, hicks ville, and where sheep are scared! BUT the good thing is ...I think Kustom city just moved a little bit further south !! watch out boys more kustoms coming your way! Not trying to be cocky, just working my ass off, building kustoms. and letting the rest go north.

5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Jeff, I was hoping to run into ya at Starbirds. The rat rod thing is kool but a
    couple of entries I just couldn't get it. They would not be allowed in at Tulsa. I'm
    glad that I don't understand why? You have scared sheap around your house? All
    mine our happy. Ha, ha, ha...., Hopefully I'll get the chance to come over to visit.

It is my turn to buy lunch..

I was thinking about it but it looks to much like a Pacer that sits in someones garage
    in Dewey. I would hate to be conufused for that guy... LOL!!!

Had a blast Jack thanks for letting us arun around with ya.

Happy Trails,

Mick

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  6. yblock292

yblock292

Jeff,
    I can't agree with you more there were at least 2 "vehicles"in the show that were an absolute embarressment to the rest of us , the spike truck with barbwire roof and the thing against the wall. I know some of the true Kustom guys talked to Starbird about letting that crap in.

7. okiegreaser

okiegreaser
    from LA

What was with that stupid rat rod that was sitting over to the left of the stage? It was rusted out all along the bottom and the frame was the scariest looking shit i've ever seen. I'm all for "unfinished" rods or kustoms but come on, seriously. The guy was even trying to sell it too, for "$10,ish". That made me laugh.

8. few more whats the kats upto in this pic lol

Attached Files:

9. Old F.A.R.T.

Old F.A.R.T.

I'm like the rest of you guys...I was thinking a MUCH improved show until I saw that POS over by Winfields booth...then I saw the barbwire truck...come on Starbird...you used to have better standards that this but overall I REALLY enjoyed the show this year

10. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Every show has to have it's "whatsits?!" but it was odd to see that apparent "art piece" next to Winfield. The truck with the barb wire hood was there last year as well just in the other hall tucked into a corner.

11. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I wish the silly "art car" ,ratrodarrific, hey lets make this into a custom or rat rod would go away. which is what happens when we get a surge of new members in the car community. I remember when I was new in the scene , back in the 70's and in middle school, drawing carrot cars, scorpion dragsters. those were the days. !

12. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

Sure was hoping to see a lot more straycat cars and a lot less of the usual GTO's, Mustangs, Camaros, rat rods, and overall garbage. The darn good Rockabilly band, Gene Winfield, the green and black dodge truck as well as some of the lowriders def. made it worth goin though.

Not to mention them bikini girls :D

Here are some of my pics.

Don't want to be an a**hole but the 41? Ford Truck rat rod thing is just plain unsafe and I fear the person that spends 10k on it. But I guess if your stupid enough to spend that much money on a cobbled together pile o rust you deserve whats comin to ya?

Attached Files:

13. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

Here are some more pics.

Attached Files:

14. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

and more for ya

legendrat72 sneakin in to ruin one of my pics :eek: with his ugly grease paint mug.

Attached Files:

15. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Always a great show. Thanks for posting all the pictures. Were the Rumblejetts there ? Gary

16. prostbrad

prostbrad

Yea, I went to the show Sunday, for a little bit. But after seeing that, "Hacked up inbred Malibu" I left shortly after that. My son calls cars like that one, "SHITRODS" now .. lol... Other than that eyesore, the show was decent this year

17. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

No Rumblejetts weren't there just the band called Brian Dunning and his Rock n' Roll Trio outta okc. Great band I highly recomend checking them out if you aint ever heard em before.

Oh there was some Orbison impersonator and a J. Cash impersonator as well.

18. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Cars like this are exactly why I didn't waste my time this year. WTF??? Someone with a decent ride got bumped because of shit like this. I'm sure there were more than a few there that didn't belong.:mad: When I pay to see show cars, I want to see show cars! What an embarrassment to the show world and a rip-off to patrons.

19. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

+1 I didn't quite get it. Refused to even give em attention so I hardly remeber it. The band was def. worth the 16 bux however.

20. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went on Fri early. The place is quiet and you can get good photos of the cars. My 17 year daughter was with me . She thought the barbed wire yard art cars were unsafe. There were a lot of top notch cars there . i had a good time. Thanks for sharing the photos

21. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Doubt it. Starbird advertised 400 cars on display, but there were only 370 entrants (counting bikes). There were empty spots around the outer rings, and blank spaces in all halls.

Before trophy presentation, Darryl made a speech about how those with vehicles on display needed to "choose wisely" which shows they attended - basically saying "you better come to mine, not theirs".

His family and the City need to treat people better, or they will go elsewhere. We don't HAVE to give him his $30 to be abused and screwed with for 3 days.

22. PITRE ART

PITRE ART

Thanks for posting pics.Looks like a great show!