Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wow did I mess up...or, the new owner is gonna be pissed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by amsvette, Jan 21, 2010.

1. amsvette

amsvette

Recently there was a '57 Chevy 210 2 door gasser/street freak locally for sale. It was yellow and white with green flames the first time I saw it but as the days went by the owner/seller primered the car. Car had supposedly seen some track time. It was a SBC 4 speed car with a straight axle and a lifted Olds rear. The car was in tough shape but not overly rusty for a Michigan car. It ran and drove but I'm guessing it did neither very well. It sat for weeks and the price eventually came down to $4500 or so before it dissapeared. I had the itch to buy and even had the cash to get it but I bought a nice retired show car '66 LTD instead. I thought the LTD was a better buy for the same money since I am also swapping motors with my Mustang. All was good until I saw the '57 on ebay the other night. It was at $5100 when I went to bed but it sold for $11000! Holy shit! I either missed out on a gold mine or whoever just bought it is going to be pissed! Not sure how I feel about not buying it. I probably would have not done anything with it anyway.

Amsvette

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Chances are better the new owner is going to be pissed than you having missed a gold mine.

3. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

do you really want to start a thread so people can say " yea you really fucked up" or " no jim you did the right thing?

did you want it more than the ltd?
    no.

so what else matters?

4. nutajunka

nutajunka

5. You admit buying a fuckin LTD over a 57?!

6. Simple answer?... yes.

7. nutajunka

nutajunka

LOL, that serious and funny all at the same time...:D

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I woulda never admitted to that..you might get banned:eek:

9. second_time_around

second_time_around
    from Ohio

well since you've clearly showed you have no taste in cars ((( Picking the LTD ))) guess you lost out all the way around

10. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Classic HAMB response.

11. amsvette

amsvette

Well, let me explain. I didn't go looking for an LTD. I went looking for an unmolested running 289 for my '65 Mustang (yes I know my man card should be revoked!). I wanted a presentable car to swap my 351W for a 289 and then flip the car. I figured for the price I would basically end up with a free 289 (assuming I sold the LTD in this market). I decided to keep the LTD short term since it is actually an old school lowrider (ok, more flaming! I should probably shut up now). So my thoughts were sound, but apparently have lost touch with reality on what the Chevy was worth. I thought it was worth the $4500, but $11000?! Seams to me if I REALLY wanted one I could get a cleaner body to start with and add the straight axle and still be ahead in the game.

12. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

Yeah, I probably woulda left the LTD part out of the story but then again I wouldn't have passed on a 57 to buy one either.

13. Labold

Labold

Bless your heart.

14. As a displaced yankee, I have come to understand the full meaning of those three little words :D!

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't possibly comment any better than anyone else has...well maybe. YOU FUCKED UP!!!! and, L T D ? Really? Oh yeah, you're in Dearborn. My bad. Carry on.

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

B:Dahawawawwawawaw

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yer just pissed you didnt think of it first:rolleyes:

18. i've seen pics of the ltd and i like it. screw the roached out 57.

19. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Bless your heart.......

I'll just second and third that comment !

20. oldrodslive

oldrodslive

Be glad you bought the Ford instead of the tri-year. The last thing this place needs is another tri-year chevy "gasser". Even if you chose a Ford Aspire over the 57 I would be saying the same thing. And this is all coming from a guy who likes Chevrolets (just not overly done-high center of gravity-4x4 looking-cliche cars). Now everyone else can flame me while telling me about the one they drove in high school and how it beat every car in town.. ...blah..blah...blah.. had to sell it cuz I got the girlfriend pregnant...blah...blah...blah...

From an investment standpoint you can probably never lose buying a 55-57 chev. Why? Because all of these baby boomers want to "relive their youth"..

21. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Wait,you said old school lowrider? Now I want to see a pic of this LTD.

And before the flaming starts from the peanut gallery,I seem to remember the Lowrider pic thread having a huge following.

22. ranchwagun

ranchwagun

We all let some good deals slip through our hands! It sucks. 4 years ago i passed on an off topic camaro (because I dont care for them) for $4000 from a buddy that was moving. So he put it on ebay and ended up getting $9500 for it. 4 years later and it still hurts to talk about it.

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

its just good ol HAMB razing..no one has gotten hurt.....yet

24. The LTD was the practical choice - should you lose your job or get kicked out of Mom's basement, there's lots of living space in there :D

25. 66-Frankenfish

66-Frankenfish

I wanna see the LTD!

26. LaSalle Gearbox

LaSalle Gearbox
    from ohio

You could always gasser the LTD.

27. I would much rather relive my youth than have you TRY to do it for me!! And yes I had a 57 Chevy in high school, sold it 2 days before I went to Viet Nam, which had nothing to do with my girlfriend, but had everything to do with you being able to freely speak your mind, even if it's about things you know nothing about. Ain't it a great country, You can thank us " boomers" later.:rolleyes: Good Lord!!!!!

28. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

AMEN! brother, same shit here sold my '65 Fairlane before Iraq!!!! Still wish I had that fucker back as a DD.

29. A local "credit card" spent $30k last month based for a cherry based soley on pictures. Upon delivery it only needs a new frame (rusted through in footlong sections), about 200hours of body work/paint (rear quarters hung by a spot weld every 8 inches, covered in mud and the painter must have chased the runs to the shop floor for that all important shine) and the hipo crate motor is a tired early 80's 350.

I wonder if he wishes he never would have...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  30. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

L
    T
    D
    Over a 57.....yes we must see the pics.