Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do with the roof on a 33 ford coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortress, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Fortress

Fortress

At first I planned to fill the roof on my 33 with a weld in panel from Walden, but now I am not sure. The car will be a chopped traditional highboy. The advantage I see to welding it up is no place for water to get in and rust. I am looking for opinions. Thanks!

2. i like the original type soft top

3. UA_HoBo

UA_HoBo
    from Oswego NY

i like the filled look and you can make it fit any car from mild to wild

4. Just my humble opinion, but I very much prefer them open.

Search for photos of it done both ways and make your choice.

As is said quite often around here...It's your car, build it how you want.

5. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Make the Walden Pannel fit the opening so that it's removeable, this way you can have it both ways.

6. Weasel

Weasel

What he says, but cover it with long grain vinyl and you'll have the best of both worlds...

7. You want traditional? Look through any old Hot Rod Magazine and you will see the top is an insert.Mostly in a contrasting color,like white.Thats why I say keep the soft top.

8. tradrod

tradrod

If you want it to look like a glass car ,fill it. A friend of mine used a sheet of aluminum for his "insert" to seal it and then covered it with Stafast convertible top material.

My .02
    Steve

9. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

FORTRESS...my son has a 27T chopped coupe, and he filled the top solid. we figured the rain and cold weather was for choppers. if you listen to some of these folks, they'l have you putting the 4 banger back in. you know the (traditional thing )...POP.

10. Soft top, my opinion is they look good and the kit from Juliono's is easy to install and waterproof. I have one on my 34 chevy and am putting one on my model A coupe. My 2 cents.

11. Fortress

Fortress

Thanks for the input. I will look into the bolt in top from Walden and cove it in vinyl.

12. TERPU

TERPU

No Vinyl, Louver it!!!! but still make it removable. You'll have a sunshine car when you want and a vented lid when you want.

Tim

13. I second the vote for Juliano's soft top kit. Here is one installed on my '34 Ford 5-window. The car has seen some awesome rain storms and hasn't leaked (yet)!

Jim

Attached Files:

14. Fortress

Fortress

Does the kit include bows?

15. Get the Walden steel insert and cover it with the stock long grain vinyl and trim the edges like stock. Use Wood Art bows for the inside.
    The best of both worlds.
    HemiDeuce.

16. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Which one of the monthly magazines ran a tech article on installing the soft top kit? it was a few months ago in r&c or streetrodder I think. If someone knows,I'd like to read it .

17. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Both my coupes. a 33 5 window and a 34 3 window have filled tops. Just my preference.

18. bill3337

bill3337

I made up a steel panel to fit the original opening and painted it to match the car, but it is removable in the future I want it to be. It's waterproof, vandal proof, doesn't flap in the wind and looks good, in my opinion.

Attached Files:

19. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

20. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

What else would you expect? This is a traditional forum...seems like a lot of people here lately have forgotten that...or just don't respect that.

21. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

My vote would be for the original top.

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I put a snap tonneau on my 'rod. Open when weather permits, on with heater running this morning at 20 degrees.............

Attached Files:

23. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

mine is filled, there was no channel to do anything else with, if i had a choice i would have done it with a soft top, they just look better

24. No. The Juliano's kit does not include the bows (neither does the LeBarron-Bonney kit).

Jim

25. No, the bows are not included in the Juliano's kit.

Jim

26. bill3337

bill3337

Underside of roof panel 003.jpg Just for interest, here are a couple pictures of the panel we made up for mine. It fastens to the existing holes in the channel and has about a 3/16" wide black sealant joint all around, which is slightly recessed. The panel itself sits about 1/16" higher than than the surrounding roof and is painted body colour. I tried to leave the body on mine unaltered as it is 100% original Henry Ford steel, right down to the bumpers and bumper irons, no reproduction parts on the exterior Underside of roof panel 001.jpg

Underside of roof panel 002.jpg

Underside of roof panel 003.jpg

27. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Filled my 33 with the top of a 41 Ford sedan body that was parted many years ago. The fit looks like it was done at the factory.

Attached Files:

28. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

I've got one of each, one coupe with a filled roof, one with a unfilled roof,I wouldn't fill the unfilled roof, and i wouldn't unfill the filled roof. :confused:

29. cwayne

cwayne

Check out this months cover car on Street Rodder........... cool...

30. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I can make a tackstrip for it,aluminum but looks like original after installation