Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration American pickers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LANCE-SPEED, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weldtoride

weldtoride

I thought the show was very entertaining. As far as whether or not it’s for real: it’s TV!
    One thing that caught my eye was that they don't actually say what the selling price for the pickers eventually was, just an estimate of its value. Nor is it clear when and if the pickers actually sell what they buy. To my way of thinking, an item can have three values: what the seller thinks, what the buyer thinks, and finally (the one that counts for me) is what it eventually exchanges for in an actual sale. I would love to see a “reality” segment at the end of the season, revealing what the pickers were still sitting on and what they actually realized from real sales.
    Tthese two guys have History Channel funding, so they can afford sit on their self-valued "treasures" longer than most of us and not face real life cash flow issues.

I agree with several observations above, a history channel camera crew with well funded producers has got to help break a lot of ice, as well as the release forms, etc., etc.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> [FONT=&quot]That said, I definitely got sucked in, and it’s still entertaining as all get out, as TV is supposed to be.
    [/FONT]

2. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

I was kind of sad to see it on ...all I could think of what it was going to do to the little guys looking for parts and barn finds ..it will have every one believing their shit is worth a fortune and the prices will soar.. try buying a panel truck or Coe of late you couldnt give that shit away years back. Now good luck finding one you can afford ...hollywood ruins everything...........just one mans opinion..........

3. I don't need to watch that show, I live it every day. I don't always do instant gangbusters profit, but I can list off plenty of examples of pieces I paid peanuts for and turned for 10 times or better what I paid for them. Sometimes in just a few hours - last fall at a swap meet I picked up a batch of vintage books, 50 cents each for 14 of them, all the same series. Put them on my table asking $5 each or $50 for all of them, a guy asked if I'd take $40.. SOLD... they never even saw the inside of my vehicle, let alone my home. The guy who bought them gave me a card, he has a collectibles shop, so I'm sure he thought he could sell them for still more. I didn't care, I turned $33 profit basically for the time it took me to walk 100 yards back and forth. That's how it all works -

5. 117harv

117harv

Lets say you find a 30 model a coupe in an old mans field, and it is complete, he says you can have it for $350.00...wait a minute sir this car is worth alot more than your asking, here is $4000.00, never happen, give him what he asks, he's happy and your happy end of transaction.

6. Regardless of what you thought of the show, check out their website: www.antiquearchaeology.com and click on 'bikes' and also 'what's new'. Some cool stuff-including 35 Ford coupe, 31-32 Franklin.

7. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

It's like when Stacey from "Trucks" went to the junkyard and he got a Buick front clip, thunderbird seats, nailhead, and a trailer load full of other shit for......... $200! And they pulled and loaded it all for him.... RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Fenders

Fenders

"I'm sure he thought he could sell them for still more. I didn't care, I turned $33 profit basically for the time it took me to walk 100 yards back and forth. That's how it all works - "

That's called leaving something on the table for the next guy. If I make a profit I'm happy, so let the next guy make a profit too.

"As an aside, my grandfather's WWII samurai sword was stolen back in the 1960's, and to this last year of his life, he was still pissed about it."

Too bad we can't let go of "stuff" and forget it (after a while...).
    George Carlin would understand.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

9. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

I looked at the website,......Like I said before tell them boys to load up and come to my place,everything in the place is for sale at one money.Tell em bring CASH and lots of it and leave the cameras and drama at their place.Bring Help and Trucks and trailers Because I aint lifting anything or helping to load in anyway.I think they are full of shit,its mostly staged,Ive had so called pickers around here before wantin this and that and that ,but when it comes time for em to cough up the CASH,after setting a deal.....guess what? They are gonna get back to me......none has ever showed back up.

10. skyspop

skyspop

Ive met at least a huhdred old guys like the wasp grabber,they love to talk and look at all their stuff with you,"how much you want for this"Oh I dont really want to sell that. They have a disease just like us,only they go to local sales,fill up their trucks and vans,come home and unload it in front of the last pile they brought home.The dude still had an auction number in his front bib pocket for gods sake.nothing wrong with that,just takes alot more time to finally buy from them,eventually,like at least three old timers Ive known in this area,thay sadly die,and the auction begins,and their "collection"is dispersed for pennies,or worse yet,lots,and the family could care less,give me my cut.I guess i would rather see someone ,somewhat tactfully buy the stuff and get it in the right persons hands who will use it eventually.

11. Vendome

Vendome

Okay, my turn. That little carnival ride with the cars they paid fifteen hunnert for? I bought ONE of those cars for two hunnert and fifty. The ferris wheel ten thousand, the other ride ten thousand and the little car ride, fifteen hunnert. Man oh man that was a deal! Heck with that other stuff!

12. ham-boned-ford

ham-boned-ford

I think that chick on the show "Danielle" was pretty hot!

13. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I will watch it again .....

Paco

14. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Yea I have a lot of thoughts. I also have over 20 years of experience in this stuff.

1st its tv. Pawn stars is such a set up show it's almost hard to watch.... but I have a season pass on my Tivo! It's entertainment that is all it is. The one w/the Coke machine....come on... the "finished, restored" one was not even the same model machine!!! And the barber chair...I'll make a good deal on one right now that you can go "pawn"..

As for "Pickers" (stupid name) again..tv. I'm entertained and that is all that matters.

Gotta think that if guys like them (and me) don't buy this stuff alot of it just gets thown away after the owner dies, so why not save it. You can't be ripping someone off if they set the price and you pay what they want. That's life.

I'm not looking foward to the "Barrett Jackson Effect" taking a hold of the stuff I like that's for sure.

But then again....I do have a 3000sq ft building that is full of advertising and memorbilia for sale......if anyone is interested let me know.

15. burnout2614

burnout2614

I enjoyed the show but it reminded me of all the times I have been told to "get the hell off my property and tell everbody else this stuff ain't fer sale!!!" Cool show now buts it's just gonna ruin scavengin for the rest of us. peace

16. skullhat

skullhat

that was a good show...i cant beleive they passed on the 29 coupe with the blown small block. they almost passed on the roadster, i would loved to have bought both of those cars.

skull

17. shoveled71

shoveled71

I noticed in the background of the buyers warehouse where the hot chick was hangin out an old Indian and a couple of old Harleys, wondered if they were a previous purchase on a show I missed or just part of the prop, I hope it dont last because I wanna be the guy findin all this stuff. Spike

18. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Yes......yes I do.....

Havent seen the show though.....will it get me laid?

19. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

I just sent them an email offer to come and buy ALL my shit,I will gladly let you fellas know what they say.

20. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

Nominated for the longest sentence on the HAMB for 2010....

21. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

It is probably gonna be like JunkYard Wars. Whe the show started Probably in England, it looked feasable. As the show went on, it became more and more apparent that stuff was seeded in the yard, chainsaw engines that were patinaed, ith brown and flat black paint. Wheels and tires that "fit" Jet skis and 4 wheeles that were "aged" and the added one hur or tinkering time where the pile o crap was finished.

Now way these stashes are not scouted and screened.

As far as the stuff and the owners and or heirs being ripped off, welcome to America.

If the owners doean't get riped off, the kids will when they sell the old farmstead to a real estate developer and he hires somebody to clean it up, 90% of the stuff will go to the crusher for scrap or ed up in a roll off on the wau to the dump. I have a small barn full of stuff, my grandparents, and parents couldn't throw away.

Hmmmmmmm!! wonder what my 57 Murray Ballon tired bike is worth???? or the three burner kerosene heater with the Isenglass flame window or the 1952 Planet Jr. 2 wheeled garden tractor wold go for.

By the way, anybody need any virgin growth hemlock verticle siding??? Random width from 4 to 12 inches, 16 ft long, weathered from about 6 quarter thick. Was on a house built in 1845. I have 4 or 5 piles stacked shoulder high.

22. ro51_hemi

ro51_hemi
    from York,Pa

23. Just finished watching this weeks show, to me it's really about how to find and buy things. These guys layed down some pretty good psychology lessons on how to convince a reluctant seller to let go of those barn finds.

24. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I liked seeing what was in side some of the barns, we all are pickers at some time in our lives. These people are every where. I would bet that like the Chopper Guys Paul and Paul jr. These guys make more from the show than they make from the junk they buy or in dualing Pauls case the junk they build. I wish they would follow me around when I am picking through junk and I can tell you what something is worth and what a deal I got on it.

25. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

Amen !

26. brandon11130

brandon11130

I think the shows pretty cool. You can talk shit about any show but its defiantly cool to see the stuff they find. As for the farmers getting ripped off, i haven't seen them really haggle on anything they are usually giving them just what there asking for. Sure they may be underpaying but honestly do you think the old farmers are ever going to pack up this stuff and take it to a big auction or have connections to big city buyers who will pay top dollar? The stuff will either rot there forever, or be auctioned off for dirt when they die and the rest will be sold as scrap by the townships to cover their budget deficits.

and yes the chick is hot.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  27. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

I didn't care for it and the two guys are lame. I won't watch it again.

28. A HAMB member who lives in Calif. bought a engine from me. we had a good visit when he came and got his engine. He had worked on the set of junkyard wars. Of course it was fake staged. Likewise this to is rehearsed Staged. As far as what happens to someones stuff after their gone. That hoarder auction buyer ect. Well that was their hobby they enjoyed admassing the collection. Many enjoy telling folks it,s not for sale. This is still america and they still have the right of the prusuit of happiness. What the heir,s to the estate do with it has nothing to do with the here and now. Im glad to see those old guys get to live in their Walter Mitty world.:cool:I dont like shows like this one or pawn wars ,barrett jackson ect. because it perpuates a set of false values for mundane items.:mad: I remember what my grandparents always said dont believe anything you hear and only half of what you see! This goes double for TV:) OldWolf

29. rixrex

rixrex

The Pawn Stars show is a little painful to watch sometimes..I get mad at Rick? sometimes when he says stuff like "Well, we know how much your father paid for it" (like nothing) that is not relevant to the situation, just a ploy to beat the seller down..The Pickers show is interesting, somebodys gotta do it..people should be hoarding stuff for a reason, if they are too lazy or don't have the time to take it to market then these guys are providing a valuable service..interesting TV, alot better than that Housewives crap...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.